Home About Us Catalog Borrowing Services Resources Programs & Events Locations





Harleston Village

Photo: 149 Wentworth St. Rodgers Mansion c.1885

The Village of Harleston, more recently called Harleston Village, was originally part of a grant made to John Coming and Henry Hughes in 1671-72. After the death of Coming and his wife, Mrs. Affra Coming, it was inherited by Mrs. Coming's nephew, John Harleston, and his descendants. The section bore the Harleston name when it was developed and streets were opened up in 1770.