Wi-Fi available? Yes Public Internet / MS Office workstations? Yes Color copying and printing? Yes, $0.25 per page Black & white copying and printing? Yes, $0.10 per page Public scanner? Yes Fax machine? No Public meeting rooms available? No Public Notary? Available by appointment
From the North area:
Take I-26 East to Exit 221A for King Street. Turn left onto King Street. The Library will be about 1/4 mile on the left.
From Folly Beach and James Island:
Take the James Island Connector (Hwy. 30) to Calhoun Street. From Calhoun Street, turn left on King Street. The Library will be about 1 mile on the left between Grove Street and Romney Street.
From Mt. Pleasant:
Take the Ravenel Bridge (Hwy. 17) to the King Street exit. Go north on King Street. The Library will be on the left between Grove Street and Romney Street.
From West Ashley:
Take Hwy. 17 east towards downtown OR take Hwy. 61 (Ashley River Road, becomes St. Andrews closer to downtown) east towards downtown and stay in the left lane to merge with Hwy. 17. Move to the right lane and take the Lockwood Drive South exit. Stay in the left lane and take the Calhoun Street ramp. Follow Calhoun Street to Marion Square (intersection of Calhoun and King Streets). Turn left on King Street. The Library will be about 1 mile on the left between Grove Street and Romney Street.
Dart Hall, which was later replaced by the John L. Dart Library, was one of the original library branches established in 1931. Dart Hall existed as a library for many years before the Charleston County Library adopted it as a branch. Dart Hall was originally built as the Charleston Industrial Normal Institute by the Rev. John L. Dart, a distinguished educator and a leading minister of the city.
His daughter, Susan Dart Butler, founded Dart Hall. She had long felt the need for library services for the African American population of Charleston. She opened, in 1927, a reading room at Dart Hall for the African American public. This room was operated at Mrs. Butler's expense until the opening of the Dart Hall Branch of the Charleston Free Library in July, 1931. The existence of this reading room favorably impressed the leaders of the Rosenwald Fund when they were considering making funds available for the establishment of the Free Library. The Dart family gave the use of the building to the County for the sum of $1 a year rent. From 1931 until 1952, three large rooms were made available. In December 1952, Charleston County purchased Dart Hall.
The present John L. Dart Library was built by County Council in 1968 and was named in honor of the late Rev. John L. Dart. Dedication ceremonies were held on December 12, 1968, with members of the Dart family present.