Home About Us Catalog Borrowing Services Resources Programs & Events Locations





Meeting Street (188-313)

188 Meeting St. c.1841
IMAGE -- To see a Mathew Brady Civil War photograph of this building click here. -- City Market stands on the site of filled in creek and marshy lands donated by the Pinckney family for a city market, with the stipulation that the property revert to the family if used for any other purpose. The market was built sometime between 1788, when the land was donated, and 1807, when a city ordinance was adopted for regulating the "Central Market" here. The first market consisted of a beef market at the Meeting Street end of Market Street, behind which was a country produce market. On the othe side of East Bay there was a fish market. The present Market Hall, erected in 1841, was designed by Edward B. White in the Roman Revival style. Sheep and bull skulls decorate the stucco frieze, symbolizing the presence of a meat market. ln the past, the proximity of the meat market was indicated by buzzards (Charleston eagles) who scavenged the debris thrown in the street at the end of the market day. For providing that valuable service, the buzzards were protected by law. Other ordinances regulated butcher cuts and weights, required vendors to wear clean white aprons, etc. No produce could be brought to market for sale a second time. The second floor of the Market Hall houses the Confederate Museum and is the headquarters of the Charleston chapter of the "United Daughters of the Confederacy." The market sheds behind the hall are difficult to "date" as the market has been rebuilt several times due to fires and tornadoes. (Rogers, Charleston in the Age of the Pinckneys, pp. 86-87; Ravenel, pp. 163-165; Fraser, Reminiscences, pp. 32-33; Rhett & Steele, pp. 54-55; Whitelaw & Levkoff, pp. 148, 210, 226; Nielsen, DYKYC, Sept. 2, 1935; Stockton, DYKYC, April 15, 1974.)

200 Meeting St.
Site of the Charleston Hotel. When built in 1839, it was one of the most notable hotels in the United States. Designed by architect Charles F. Reichardt, it had a giant order Corinthian colonnade extending the full length of the block along Meeting Street. Daniel Webster, Jenny Lind, Thackeray and Queen Victoria's daughter Louise were among the guests. The hotel was demolished in 1959-60. (Mazyck & Waddell, illus. p.55; Severens, Southern Architecture, pp. 138-140; Ravenel, Architects, pp. 177-179; Whitelaw & Levkoff, pp. 96, 228-229.; Rhett & Steele, pp. 60-61.)

209-235 Meeting St. c.1840
IMAGE: ON RIGHT: 219 Meeting --
 IMAGE: 209 Meeting | IMAGE: 211 Meeting | IMAGE: 213 Meeting | IMAGE: 215 Meeting | IMAGE: 221 Meeting | IMAGE: 225 Meeting | IMAGE: 231 Meeting | IMAGE: 233 Meeting | IMAGE: 235 Meeting -- This row of commercial buildings date from c. 1840 to 1915, and many have cast iron storefronts. As part of the Charleston Center project, the front portions of these buildings are being rehabilitated (1985) and a parking garage being built behind them. (Stockton, DYKYC, June 13, 1977; N&C, June 8, 1974.)

252 Meeting St. c.1838
John Whiting built this three story brick building c. 1838. lt was under demolition when rescued by the Preservation Society in 1976, and subsequently was restored by a private owner. (Stockton, DYKYC, Aug. 2, 1976 & Sept. 28, 1981.)

256 Meeting St. c.1838
This was built as William J. Gayer's carriage factory, c. 1838. The front part of the building has been replaced by a 20th century drive through porch. (Stockton, DYKYC, July 5, 1976.)

262 Meeting St. c.1887
This double fire station was built in 1887-88 as part of the establishment of the City Fire Department. The park is called Courtenay Square, for William Ashmead Courtenay, mayor of Charleston from 1879-88. The iron pavillion over the artesian well was erected in 1885. Several attempts were made, starting in 1845, to sink an artesian well at this location, with poor results. Finally the city contracted with F. Spangler, an experienced well-borer from the Northwest, in 1876, and his efforts were successful. (Yearbook, 1881, 257ff.; N&C, June 20, 1885; Stockton, unpub. notes)

268-270 Meeting St. c.1838
IMAGE
 -- These two houses with similar Victorian facades were built by Daniel Hart. No. 270 dates from c. 1838; No. 268 was built about 1850. Victorian facades appear to be c. 1885. (Stockton, unpub. notes; DYKYC, Oct. 11, 1974.)

272 Meeting St. c.1872
This handsome brick and stucco building dates back to 1872. During the 1880s and '90s it was occupied by Dr. George Caulier's apothecary shop. Albert Stokes established here in 1898, Stokes Busines College, one of the first in the country to offer secretarial and business education for women. The school remained here until the 1930s. (Jack Leland, DYKYC, Jan. 30, 1984.)

275 Meeting St. c.1848
Trinity Methodist Church was organized as the Trinity Primitive Methodist Church in 1791, with a building at Hasell Street and Maiden Lane. The title to that property was vested in the minister, the Rev. Mr. Brazier. He sold the church and ground to the rector of St. Philip's Episcopal Church, without the permission of the congregation. Although the Episcopalians had moved in, erected pews and dedicated the church, some of the Methodists obtained the key, moved in and barricaded the building. They remained there for several months until the courts awarded the property to the Methodists in 1816. Two other buildings were erected on that site, in 1838 and in 1902. ln 1926, the congregation purchased the present building. This building was built in 1848-50 as the Central Presbyterian Church, afterwards known as the Westminster Presbyterian Church. lt was designed by architect Edward C. Jones. lt is in the Greek Revival temple form with a portico of six Corinthian columns and one on each return. The interior also has Corinthian columns in antis, in front of a half-domed chancel, and galleries with Corinthian columns, as well as elaborate plasterwork in the mode of c. 1850. (Mazyck & Waddell, illus., p. 18; Ravenel, Architects , pp. 203-204, 206; Legerton, Historic Churches, pp. 50-51; Stoney, This is Charleston, p. 78.)

286 Meeting St. c.1807
IMAGE
 -- This three story brick on a high basement is one of the city's best houses in the Adamesque style, and is typical of the many fine dwellings of its period, which formerly lined Meeting Street from Wentworth Street north to Mary Street. Before its restoration in 1984, this building contained 10 apartments and a drug store. lt was built c. 1807 by Abigail Noyer. (Thomas, DYKYC, Oct. 27, 1968; Stoney, This is Charleston; Green, unpub. notes)

289 Meeting St. c.1870
IMAGE: ON RIGHT -- Built in 1870 as the Deutsche Freund Schafts Bund Hall, this Gothic Revival building was designed by architects Abrahams & Seyle. The building has been used as a U.S.O. and a Masonic Temple, and now is the headquarters of the Washington Light lnfantry. The W.L.I. gates were designed by architect Albert Simons and originally installed on the W.L.I. Building at 238 King St. in 1955. The gates were reinstalled here in 1984. The gate overthrow contains the Winged Victory flying above the clouds and the motto "valor and virtue" and the date of the unit's organization, 1807. The wrought iron plaques commemorate the active service of the unit in several wars: the War of 1812, the Seminole War, the Mexican War, the Civil War and World Wars l and II. The wrought iron fence sections formerly were part of the fence of the Radcliffe-King Mansion, which stood on the site of the old College of Charleston Gymnasium across the street. (Stoney, This is Charleston, p. 79; N&C, Sept. 18, 1955; Stockton, unpub. MS.; DYKYC, Sept. 29, 1980.)

288 Meeting St.
Site of the Gabriel Manigault House, a large wooden Adamesque dwelling house which the "gentleman architect" designed for himself. Using architectural materials from the structure, architect Albert Simons designed the service station on this site and the one at the northeast corner of Meeting and Chalmers streets, after Manigault's house was demolished in 1926. (Waddell, "lntroduction of Greek Revival," pp. 2-3, 9; Smith & Smith, Dwelling Houses, p. 292.)

296 Meeting St. c.1800
IMAGE: ON RIGHT -- The Strobel House, built c. 1800, a small but elegant expression of the Adamesque. (Stoney, This is Charleston, p. 79.)

298 Meeting St.
IMAGE 
-- (Stoney, This is Charleston, p. 79.)

307 Meeting St. c.1890
This small stuccoed brick house with "French roof" was built in the 1890s as the caretaker's residence for the High School of Charleston, which the occupied the Radcliffe-King Mansion at Meeting and George streets. (Stockton, DYKYC, Dec. 24, 1979.)

309 Meeting St. c.1894
IMAGE: ON RIGHT -- This Romanesque Revival building was built in 1894 for Connelley's Funeral Home. (Stockton, DYKYC, Jan. 7, 1980.)

313 Meeting St. c.1796
IMAGE 
-- This three and one half story stuccoed brick mansion on a high basement was built after 1796 by John Adam Horlbeck, who with his brother, Peter, built the Exchange. The Adamesque style house was Victorianized after 1892 by Jesse M. Connelley, owner of the funeral home next door. (Stockton, DYKYC, Feb. 27, 1978; Neilsen, DYKYC, Nov. 23, 1936; Ravenel, DYKYC, Jan. 26, 1939.)