Home About Us Catalog Borrowing Services Resources Programs & Events Locations





Market Street

Market Street was built partly over a creek which divided the town proper from the suburb of Colleton Square. Ellery Street, of Colleton Square, approximated the course of present-day North Market Street, and was laid out in the 1730s. South Market street was opened later, when the Market was built sometime between 1790 and 1807. (DYKYC, March 27, 1939; Rogers, Charleston in the Age of the Pinckneys, 65.; "Ichonography," 1739, "Ichonography,"1788.)


43 Market St.
This two story brick building, originally a three story structure, was built sometime before the Civil War. For more than a century, it was owned b the Wyatt-Aiken-Rhett-Maybank family line, the owners including Gov. William Aiken and Sen. Burnet Rhett Maybank. (Stockton, News & Courier, Oct. 12, 1972.)

34 Market St.
Old Church of the Redeemer was built c. 1916 as a seaman's bethel. It was built by the Charleston Port Society on land given by a member of the Pinckney family. The pulpit is in the form of a ship's prow and the baptismal font was on top of a capstan. The Port Society, organized in 1823, originally had a chapel on Church Street, called the Mariners' Church. A seaman's home was operated in connection with the bethel here. The church was converted into a restaurant some years ago. (Stockton, unpub. notes)

85 Market St.
Site of Chicco's cafe. Vincent Chicco, the "King of the Blind Tigers," had his headquarters in a building previously on this site. Chicco led the fight locally against prohibition. He became a local hero and was elected repeatedly to City Council. "Blind Tiger" was the name given to an establishment to which one paid admittance to see the "blind tiger" (which of course didn't exist) and received a "free" drink. Charleston had many "blind tigers" in the 1890s when statewide prohibition was enacted. (Stockton, unpub. notes.)

139 Market St.
This two story brick building was built by Archibald and William McKinlay, sometime after they bought the site in 1846. The McKinlays, who were free blacks, owned several pieces of property on Market Street. William McKinlay had his tailor shop here. The building formerly had a third story. Robert Martin, who bought the building in 1875, Victorianized the facade. ln 1927, the notorious bootlegger "Rumpty Rattles" (real name Frank Hogan) was shot at ambush by two men firing from the upper windows of this building. After a sensational trial, in which the killers pleaded self defense, a verdict of "not guilty" was given. The defense attorney's fee was a shotgun used to shoot "Rumpty Rattles." (Stockton, DYKYC, April 3, 1978.)