Home About Us Catalog Borrowing Services Resources Programs & Events Locations





Clifford Street

Photo: 26 Clifford St. Casimir Patrick House c.1827

Clifford Street was early known as Dutch Church Alley, for the German (Deutsches) Lutheran Church (St. John's) which stood on the present site of St. John's Parish House. lt was later named for John Clifford, who owned property at its eastern end. (Stockton, unpub. notes; "Streets of Charleston.")


10-12 Clifford St.
IMAGE


16 Clifford St. c.1859
IMAGE
-- Built in 1859-60 by Albert Elfe, a master builder, as a rental unit, this two and one-half story single house of brick has certain anachronistic features, such as a Federal style mantel, which may indicate the reuse of materials from an older house. (Stockton, DYKYC, Oct. 22, 1973.)

26 Clifford St. Casimir Patrick House c.1827
IMAGE: TOP OF PAGE
-- This two and one-half story frame single house was built c. 1827 by Casimir Patrick, a German merchant and tanner. The exterior window surrounds are in the Regency style. The interior is also "finished in extra style (words in an 1827 advertisement)," with rather elaborate woodwork for a small house. (Stockton, DYKYC, March 22, 1976; ______, unpub. MS.)