Home About Us Catalog Borrowing Services Resources Programs & Events Locations





Court House Square

Photo: 6-8 Courthouse Square Blake's Tenements c.1760

This was formerly State House Alley or State House Square, when the South Carolina State House was located on the site of the Charleston County Court House. After the Revolution, when the state capital was moved to Columbia and the burned State House was rebuilt as the Charleston District Court House, the name change for the street followed. ("Streets of Charleston;" Stockton, unpub. notes.)

2-4 Court House Square c.1790
IMAGE


6-8 Court House Square c.1760
IMAGE: ON RIGHT -- Blake's Tenements were built between 1760 and 1772 by Daniel Blake, planter at Newington Plantation on the Ashley River. The double tenement is three and one-half stories of brick on a high brick basement. The brickwork is laid in Flemish bond on the facade, English bond on the sides. The eastern tenement retains original Georgian interior details, while the western tenement was remodeled in the Adamesque period. The double front steps have notable wrought iron railings. The site of the double tenement was part of original Town Lot No. 313, which was granted in 1698 to Gov. Joseph Blake, great-grandfather of Daniel Blake. For many years, the tenements were owned by St. Michael's church as rental property. The building was acquired by Charleston County in 1967, and houses county offices. (Stockton, DYKYC, Oct 16, 1978; Whitelaw & Levkoff, 218; Deas, Early Ironwork, 50-51, 54-55; Stoney, This is Charleston, 37.)