Home About Us Catalog Borrowing Services Resources Programs & Events Locations





Gibbes Street

Photo: 6 Gibbes St. Parker-Drayton House c.1806

Gibbes Street is named for William Gibbes, who with other property owners cooperated to fill in the marshland north of South Bay (south Battery) between 1770 and 1775. Gibbes also built the mansion at 64 South Battery, c. 1772 at which time that property extended north to Gibbes Street. (Smith & Smith, Dwelling Houses, p.207-211.)


0 Gibbes St. c.1893
This Victorian structure was the carriage house to the A.H. Heyward residence, a large Victorian structure which stood at the corner of Gibbes and Legare streets and was built c. 1893. (News & Courier, Jan. 29, 1968; Art Work of Charleston.)

2 Gibbes St. c.1850
The two and one-half story frame house was built c. 1850 by Robert Fenwick Giles, according to the documentary evidence. There is a tradition, however, which says it was built in 1885 by William P. Holmes. lf that is true, Holmes, a prosperous merchant and shipper, had rather conservative taste for 1885. About Giles, little is known except that he was descended from the builder of Fenwick Hall. (Stockton, DYKYC, Oct. 11, 1976.)

6 Gibbes St. c.1806
IMAGE: TOP OF PAGE -- The Parker-Drayton House was built c.1806 by lsaac Parker, a planter in St. Thomas and St. Denis Parish, and a brickyard owner. lt was remodeled in the Regency style by Col. William Drayton, with money won in the East Bay Lottery, in 1820. Col. Drayton, an officer in the War of 1812, an attorney and a unionist congressman, moved to Philadelphia after the Nullification controversy. He sold the property in 1837 to Nathaniel Heyward, of Combahee, the owner of 17 plantations. Heyward gave the house to his daughter and son-in-law, Elizabeth and Charles Manigault. Charles, who had traveled to China and lived in France, was a noted collector of art and of scientific objects. Their son, Dr. Gabriel Edward Manigault, was a physician and osteologist (one who studies bone structure of vertebrates), an educator, amateur architect, and curator of the Charleston Museum. He laid the parquet floor in the drawing rooms. (Stoney, DYKYC, March 28, 1948; Stoney, News & Courier, March 29, 1964; Stoney, This is Charleston, p.54. )

7 Gibbes St.
This notable two story frame house is believed to have been built between 1804 and 1811. (Stoney, This is Charleston, p.54.)