Ashley Avenue was first laid out as Lynch Street, for Thomas Lynch, in 1770, as one of the streets of the Village of Harleston. After the Revolution, the street from Calhoun north was called Paine or Payne. In 1791, as it crossed Elliott Street (now Spring Street), it was called Thomas. The street from Line Street to Congress, in the Village of Washington, was called Legare Street. In 1869, Lynch Street was extended south to Broad Street, and still later to Tradd. In 1897, the name Ashley Avenue was applied to the length of the street. ("Streets of Charleston." Ichonography, 1739.)
47 Ashley Ave. IMAGE 49 Ashley Ave. IMAGE 53 Ashley Ave. IMAGE 55 Ashley Ave. Baker House c.1912 IMAGE -- Baker Memorial Hospital was built in 1912 as Baker Sanatorium, at a cost of $100,000. The hospital was founded in 1912 by Dr. Archibald E. Baker, Sr. of Charleston and Dr. Lawrence Craig of Dillon. The hospital left this building and constructed a new building in North Charleston in 1981, and the old hospital was converted to a condominium complex called Baker House. (DYKYC, June 11, 1934.) 61 Ashley Ave. c.1803 IMAGE -- This small stuccoed brick single house was built between 1803 and 1807 by Richard H. Peyton. Acccording to tradition, it was originally intended as the rear portion of a larger house which was never built. This house, however, is well finished, with fine Adamesque interiors. The fine two story brick stable and carriage house and impressive rear gates were built in the 1830s or '40s. The formal garden is featured in the book, Charleston Gardens, by Loutrel W. Briggs . (Thomas , DYKYC, May 30, 1970; Stoney, This is Charleston, p. 4.) 70 Ashley Ave. c.1820 IMAGE -- This house, two stories of wood on a high brick basement, and elliptical arches on each level of the piazza, is notable architecturally and obviously dates from the early 19th century. (Stoney, This is Charleston, p. 4.) 75 Ashley Ave. c.1830
IMAGE: ON RIGHT -- Daniel Fairchild, a brick and lumber factor, built the three story frame dwelling about 1830 on the site of present-day 79 Ashley. Tradition among Fairchild's descendants states that he moved the frame house when he decided to build his larger brick house at the corner site. Fairchild's first house has an ornately carved neoclassical doorway with Ionic pilasters and Doric columns at the piazza entrance. The roofline, with its Greek Revival parapet, probably represents a change from the original appearance, which was probably a hipped or gable roof. (Thomas, DYKYC, June 8, 1970; Burton, unpub. MS, Feb. 1946; Stoney, This is Charleston, p. 4.) 76 Ashley Ave. c.1855 IMAGE -- This large house was built c. 1855 by John Hume Simons, a rice planter. The site was acquired by marriage to his cousin, Mary Hume Lucas. The two and one-half story brick house on a high brick basement was comfortably large for the Simonses and their eight children. The huge double drawing rooms were used as a church by St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church on Hasell Street during the Federal bombardment of the city. Tradition says a Federal shell burst over an interment in the yard, nearly turning the mourners into the mourned. The property remained in the builder's family until the 1880's. The interior is characterized by very high ceilings, louvered ventilators over the tall doors, and marble mantels in the Greek Revival style. (Thomas, DYKYC, Feb. 21, 1970; Stoney, unpub. MS, 1962; LSC; Simmons, St. Mary's, p. 9; Stoney, This is Charleston, p. 5.)
IMAGE: ON RIGHT -- Daniel Fairchild, who first built a wooden house on this site and moved it to 75 Ashley, built this three story, stuccoed brick house sometime between 1842 and 1850, in the then current Greek Revival style. The tall house has strongly molded architectural features of the period, including broad belt courses between floors, elongated quoinings, ornately carved trim over the arched stair windows, a broad cornice to the gable end and large windows with brownstone pediments and sills. The property remained in the family until 1908.
(Thomas, DYKYC, June 8, 1970; Burton, unpub. MS, Feb. 1946.)
IMAGE: TOP OF PAGE-- Dr. Joseph Glover built, by 1838, this one and one-half story brick house, on a high brick basement. Dr. Glover, who lived on Rutledge, built the house as a rental unit. It was substantially remodeled in the late 19th century, in the Queen Anne style, either by the Toale family, which owned it from 1881 to 1894 or by the Doscher family, which owned it from 1894 to 1966. Patrick P. Toale had a lumber and building supply business in Hayne Street and a sash and blind factory in Lynch Street
(now Ashley) on the present site of Moultrie Playground. John H. Doscher was president of the Palmetto Brewing Co., which was located on the present site of the First Baptist High School gymnasium.
(Stockton, DYKYC, Dec. l2, 1979.)
91 Ashley Ave. c.1898
IMAGE -- Mrs . Frances Carrere Robertson built, c. 1898, this two and one-half story wooden house in the Queen Anne style. She was the wife of James Robertson, a Broad Street realtor and insurance company president. The property remained in the family until 1934.
(Stockton, DYKYC. Jan. 19, 1976. )
95 Ashley Ave.
IMAGE-- Mayor William Ashmead Courtenay's residence. Courtenay (1831-1908) was mayor of Charleston from 1879 to 1887. He used his business expertise to professionalize the city administration and made many permanent improvements, including the paving of major streets, such as King and Meeting streets, for the first time. His home was an older single house which was remodeled in the Queen Anne style, sometime between 1883 and 1893 .
(Mazyck & Waddell, illus. 2, 71; Archer, 7; News & Courier , Sept . 1, 1882: Sept . 2 , 1883.)
IMAGE: ON RIGHT-- Theodore Gaillard, Jr., a factor and planter, bought the site in 1803 and completed this house by 1816. The large two and one-half story wooden house has unusual fenestration in the front gable. The piazza entrance is recessed one bay to accommodate the front steps. The interior has fine woodwork and plasterwork of the Regency period, c. 1816. Dr. Willis Wilkinson bought the house in 1825. His two daughters, Mary and Sarah, both married Christopher Augustus Memminger, Confederate Secretary of the Treasury. According to tradition, Memminger fell in love with the second sister during their joint visits to the grave of the first. By way of proposal, Memminger said to her, "Will you accompany me to the grave?" Thinking he meant her sister's grave, the young lady replied, "Yes." The mistake was later resolved, however, and the couple were happily married.
(Stockton, DYKYC, April 28,1980; Stoney, This is Charleston , p. 5)
107 Ashley Ave. c.1829
IMAGE-- This large three and one-half story frame house on a high brick basement was built c. 1829 by Thomas Corbett, a planter, on land which his wife, the former Elizabeth Harleston, inherited from her father John Harleston. The interior features a graceful winding stair, in the north projection.
(Burton, unpub. notes: CCL)
-- Built c. 1800 by Gov. Thomas Bennett, this two and one-half story frame house on a high brick basement was sold in 1825 to Mrs. Susan McElhenny, whose daughter married Paul Hamilton Hayne. Their son, Paul Hamilton Hayne, the noted poet, was born here in 1830. The house has interesting Adamesque woodwork, especially in the spacious stairhall.
(Preservation Society Marker; Stoney, This is Charleston , p. 6 )
139 Ashley Ave. c.1836
-- This small two and one-half story, stuccoed brick single house has terra cotta cornices over its windows. It was built by Edward Sebring, president of the State Bank of South Carolina, who also built and lived in the large residence at 268 Calhoun street, to the south of this house. Sebring probably built this house as a tenement, after he purchased the site in 1836.
(Stockton, DYKYC, November 21, 1977; Stoney, This is Charleston , p. 6)