Beaufain Street was platted as part of Harleston Village in 1770; it followed the north line of the original Grand Modell of Charles Town and of the Mazyck Lands which was also the south boundary of the Glebe Lands and the Harleston lands. The street was named for Hector Berenger de Beaufain, a French Huguenot who came to South Carolina about 1735 and lived here until his death in 1766. He was a prominent and "well-beloved" citizen, a member of the St. Andrews Society and other organizations here and abroad. He was one of the founders of the Charleston Library Society, a member of his Majesty's Council, and for 24 years was Collector of Customs. He was buried in St. Philip's churchyard and a monument given by his fellow citizens was placed in th church. The monument was destroyed when the church burned in 1835. Beaufain's monument bore witness to his "unshaken integrity" as customs collector. McCrady states that South Carolina, enjoying a lucrative trade with London and special privilege under the trade laws, which allowed rice to be shipped directly to Spain, Portugal and the Mediterranean, was not annoyed with the Navagation Acts, as were the northern colonies, where smuggling became a way of life. Therefore Charlestonians had no reason for hostility to the Royal customs officials until the adoption of the Stamp Act, 1764.
(McCrady, 2: 548-549; Rosen, p. 30, 50; Leland, Charleston, Crossroads of History , p. 21; Rogers, Charleston in the Age of the Pinckneys , p. 41, 61; Smith & Smith, Dwelling Houses , p. 312,316-317; CEO Plat Book, 54; Stoney, This is Charleston , p. 126, 129.)
6 Beaufain St. c.1891
--John R . Read, a King street dry goods merchant, purchased this lot in 1891 and erected the three story brick warehouse. The building is of pressed red brick, with segmental arched windows on the second and third levels and a high parapet at the roofline. At ground level is an oversized door opening (now bricked up); the opening has a cornice with consoles at the ends. The interior of the building is open, with the trusswork of the massive gable roof exposed. The building was connected with Read's store at 249 King St. when constructed. Later, the division walls between 6 Beaufain and 245 and 247 King were removed, to create department store space.
(Stockton, unpub. MS. )
20 Beaufain St.
-- Memminger school, The first parsonage of St. Philip's Episcopal Church was built on this site about 1698. It was part of the Glebe Lands, 17 acres given to the minister of the Church of England in Charles Town and his successors in office "forever," by Mrs. Affra Coming, in 1698. The Rev. Alexander Garden, rector of St. Philip's and Commissary of the Bishop of London, opened school for black and Indian children on the Glebe Lands near the parsonage in 1744. Taught by two black youths under the rector's supervision, the school remained in operation for 22 years. The parsonage remained in use until 1770, when a new parsonage was built in the block to the north (now 6 Glebe St.). ln the division of the Glebe Lands between St. Philip's and St. Michael's in 1797, the southern portion, including the old parsonage, was conveyed to St. Michae's. In 1858, the Normal School, for the training of female teachers, was built on the site of the old parsonage. Charleston architect Edward C. Jones designed the large and impressive building which had an arcaded front portico and a high mansard dome. It was built by contractor Benjamin Lucas. The school was later named for Christopher C. Memminger, a leader in establishing Charleston's public school system in the 1850's, and Confederate Secretary of the Treasury in the 1860's. The City Board of School Commissioners bought the property in 1899. Memminger School remained a high school for girls until 1950, when it became an elementary school. This building was built in 1953.
(Smith & Smith, Dwelling Houses , p. 311-313; Wallace, p. 184, 464; Ravenel, Architects , p. 218; Rogers, Charleston in the Age of the Pinckneys , p. 91-92; McCrady, 2:245-247; Williams, St. Michael's , p. 48; Stockton, News & Courier , Aug. 5, 1972; Stockton, unpub. M.S.; Mazyck & Waddell, illus. 21)
22 Beaufain St. c.1938
-- Memminger Auditorium, built in 1938, was designed by Charleston architect Albert Simons after the manner of the 19th century Charleston architect Robert Mills . The massing and the portico flanked by stairs are akin to such features in Mills' many South Carolina court houses and the Fireproof Building, while the two Greek Doric columns in antis in the portico are akin to Mills' Monumental Church in Richmond, Va.
(Waddell & Lipscomb, p. 15)
63 Beaufain St. c.1849
-- This notable antebellum house was built c. 1849 by F. Q. McHugh, an attorney. It has two and one-half stories of stuccoed brick, on a raised basement and interesting details including the vermiculated quoins at the corners. The building was preserved by incorporation into the Robert Mills Manor public housing project, in 1938-39.
(Thomas, DYKYC, May 9, 1970.)
65 Beaufain St. c.1815
-- This three-and one-half story brick house, stuccoed, was built c. 1815 by Richard Brenan, a local merchant. The cast iron window cornices were probably added much later, in the mid-to-late 19th century.
(Thomas, DYKYC, May 9, 1970)
64 and 66 Beaufain St. c.1851
-- Two three-story brick, Greek Revival style houses of brick with brownstone lintels were built for investment purposes by Francis Quinlan McHugh, attorney, c. 1851-52 . Thomas Divine, a mason, was the builder. McHugh also built 63 Beaufain St. The facade of 64 Beaufain fell in 1981 and was rebuilt.
(Thomas, DYKYC, May 16, 1970; News & Courier , May 29, 1981)
68 Beaufain St. c.1851
-- Thomas Divine, a mason, built this two story brick single house in 1851-52 , as his residence. Divine was also the building contractor probably late 19th century.
(Thomas, DYKYC, May 16, 1970)
71 Beaufain St.
-- Site of Calvary Episcopal Church. The unfinished church was marched upon by a mob objecting to a separate church for blacks. The mob was halted by James L. Petigru, the prominent Charleston attorney and unionist, who persuaded them to submit the question to the arbitration of a committee. The committee decided that a church for blacks was a worthy project, and the church was completed. The simple Classic Revival style structure may have been designed by Charleston architect Edward Brickell White. The black congregation left the structure in 1940. lt was subseguently sold to the Housing Authority of Charleston, which demolished it in 1961.
(Carson, Life, Letters and Speeches of... Petigru , p. 280; Ravenel, DYKYC,July 22, 1940; Ravenel, Architects , p. 202; Stambaugh, DYKYC, April 4, 1961)
72 Beaufain St. c.1790
- -One of six historic structures moved from the city parking garage site at St. Philip and George Streets in 1975 by the Preservation Society of Charleston, 72 Beaufain St. formerly stood at 32 St. Philip St. The building is composed of several old buildings joined together in the early 20th century; the oldest portion was built in the 1790s by Norwood Conyers. The other structures moved from the construction site are now at 74 and 76 Beaufain, 2 and 4 Pitt St. and 30 Rutledge Ave. Conyers was among Charles Town patriots who were exiled to St. Augustine during the British occupation of Charles Town in 1780-81.
(Stockton, DYKYC, March 25, 1974.)
-- This two and one-half story frame house formerly stood at 30 St. Philip St. and was moved to this location in 1975 by the Preservation Society of Charleston. It was standing on the St. Philip's Street site by 1793, and was apparently built by Anthony Gabeau.
(Stockton, DYKYC, March 25, 1974)
76 Beaufain St. c.1790
IMAGE-- Formerly a kitchen building at 34 St. Philip St., this tiny two story wooden house was moved in 1975 by the Preservation Society of Charleston. It was apparently built in the 18th century and was owned in the 1790s by Bazile Lanneau. The main house is now at 2 Pitt Street.
(Stockton, DYKYC, March 25, 1974.)
-- William G. Steele, in September 1815, purchased a large lot from Dr. Samuel Wilson and his sons. Dr. Wilson had acquired the land by marriage into the Mazyck family which had held it since 1712. It was part of the Mazyck Lands, partitioned among the heirs of Isaac Mazyck in 1742 . Steele was a lumber merchant who kept a "saw pit" in Pitt Street. By 1819, he was listed as living at this address. During the Civil War era, the house became the home of Duncan Nathaniel lngraham, the naval hero. Ingraham (1802-91), was the hero of the Koszta Affair of 1853. Martin Koszta, a Hungarian follower of Kossuth in the uprising against Austrian domination in 1848-49, had immigrated to New York in 1851 and declared his intention of becoming an American citizen. Two years later, while visiting Smyrna, Turkey, he was siezed by Austrian agents and imprisoned aboard the Austrian brig Hussar . Ingraham, commander of the U.S. sloop of war St. Louis , happened to be in Smyrna. He demanded Koszta's release as one entitled to U.S. protection. Diplomatic negotiations averted a battle between the Hussar and the St. Louis , and Koszta was ultimately released. During the Civil War, Ingraham was commander of Confederate Naval forces on the South Carolina coast. At Charleston he supervised construction of the ironclads Palmetto State and Chicora . The house is an interesting example of regency style adapted to the single house plan. Notable features of the exterior include the finely carved marble piazza door surround, and the lunette in the pediment. The interior has elaborately carved woodwork in the Regency style.
(Thomas, DYKYC, Feb. 28, 1970; Burton, unpub. notes, Feb. 1946; Dictionary of American Biography , p. 5:476-477; Stoney, This is Charleston , p. 9 ; Burton, Siege of Charleston, p. 125, 129, 213, 239, 282; Leland, Charleston, Crossroads of History , p. 51-52.)
IMAGE: TOP OF PAGE-- Built between 1840 and 1842 by John Steinmeyer, a prosperous sawmill owner, this two story wooden house was purchased in 1842 by Gov. Thomas Bennett. ln 1909, the property became the Argyle Louden Campbell Memorial home for Presbyterian and Huguenot Ladies, endowed by the will of Mary Bennett Campbell, a granddaughter of Gov. Bennett. The name of the home reflected her Scottish lineage. It is now a private residence. The exterior of this rather unusual house has shiplap siding scored to simulate stone blocks while the interior has Greek Revival features of the 1840s and Victorian features of the 1870s. The property also has noteworthy accessory buildings.
(Thomas, DYKYC, March 23, 1970)
110 Beaufain St. c.1852
IMAGE-- This tall three and one-half story brick single house was built by Robert Shands Smith, a commission merchant, sometime before 1852.
(Thomas, DYKYC, April 4, 1970; Bridgens & Allen Map)
-- A modified double house in the Greek Revival style, this two story frame house, on a raised basement, was built between 1837 and 1840 by Whiteford Smith. From 1849 to 1879, it was the home of James W. Gray, master in equity, and his family. The house has a central hallway and four rooms to a floor, but only the front rooms are primary rooms. The house has Doric piazza columns and classical woodwork in the interior.
(Thomas, DYKYC, Feb. 23, 1970)
118 Beaufain St. c.1845
IMAGE --This small house containing one story of wood on a high brick basement, was built after 1845 by John Henry Steinmeyer, a lumber merchant. The interior has Classic Revival details. Steinmeyer previously built the house at 108 Beaufain St., and subsequently built the large brick house at 4 Gadsden St., which over looked his sawmills on the west side of Gadsden Street.
(Thomas, DYKYC, April 25, 1970)