Bull Street was named for William Bull, a native South Carolinian who was the last to fill the Royally-appointed office of lieutenant governer. (Rogers, Charleston in the Age of the Pinckneys, 17. Smith & Smith, Dwelling Houses, 312, 315. "Streets of Charleston.")
2-8 Bull St. c.1907
This group of two story frame rental units was built in 1907 by E.M. Hacker. The row was acquired by the College of Charleston in the 1970s and restored as administrative offices.
10 Bull St.
12 Bull St c.1851
Built in 1851 by Hugh P. Cameron, a crockery merchant, this house has an unusual plan, with two parlors in front, a small room and stairhall at the rear and the entrance in a pavillion on the east side. The interior was remodeled in the 1890s in the Colonial Revival style. The initials of one owner, David Bentschner, a clothing merchant, appear in the cast iron gate. The College of Charleston restored the house in 1972 as a faculty residence. (Thomas, DYKYC, May 1,1972.)
18 Bull St. William Blacklock House c.1800
IMAGE: TOP OF PAGE -- The William Blacklock House, built in 1800 is one of the nation's most important Adamesque houses. The house is two stories of brick on a high brick basement. The Charleston grey brick, laid in Flemish bond, is accented by stone trim. The facade features a large lunette in the pediment, openings set in blind arches, delicate tracery in the fanlight and sidelights, and a double flight of iron-railed steps. The date of the house is engraved in stone under the stairs. The interior has fine Adamesque woodwork and plasterwork and a graceful circular stair under an unusual vaulted ceiling. The property has Gothic Revival outbuildings. No architect has been identified for this sophisticated structure. It shows similarities to the work of Gabriel Manigault, however. Blacklock was a member of the building committee for the Bank (now City Hall) which was built in the same year and is attributed to Manigault. The most distinctive similarity is the use of the Tuscan column with a fluted neck, which Manigault used on the Orphan House Chapel. The house has had a series of prominent owners and occupants, including Emile H. Jahnz, who was the German consul in 1916. Now the College of Charleston Club, the house was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1974. (Stockton, DYKYC, May 19, 1975. Deas, 86-87. Smith & Smith, Dwelling Houses, 317-318. Rhett & Steele, 74-75. Whitelaw & Levkoff, 91. Stoney, This is Charleston, 17. Ravenel, Architects, 68-70. Simons & Lapham, 127-132. Iseley & Cauthen, 16. Rogers, Charleston in the Age of the Pinckneys, 54, 70. Leland, Charleston: Crossroads of History, 32, 34. Waddell, "Introduction of Greek Revival," 11.)
24 Bull St. c.1858
This three and one-half story, stuccoed brick house, in the Greek Revival style, was built c. 1858 by Benjamin Lucas, a builder and city inspector of buildings, as his residence. The College of Charleston restored the house in the early 1970s as a faculty residence. (Thomas, DYKYC, July 28, 1969.)
43 Bull St. c.1849
This house, with interesting ironwork and a notable fountain in the garden, was built between 1849 and 1852 by John C. Simons, a prosperous merchant, dealing in paints, oils and hardware, on King Street. From 1946 to 1961, it was the home of Judge Joseph Fromberg an outspoken proponent of judicial and prison reform. (Thomas, DYKYC, Aug 4, 1969.)
48 Bull St. c.1813
This two story, pedimented plantation style house of brick has a marble plaque on the facade, with the inscription, "Built by I.A. Kelly for G. Keckerley, May 1813." George Keckerley (Keckeley) is listed in the 1813 city directory as a planter at Goose Creek. When this house was built, Harleston was still an open suburb. The house, which formerly had a one story piazza, was made into apartments in the 1940s.
(Thomas, DYKYC, August 11, 1969. Stockton, unpub. notes. Stoney, This is Charleston, 17. )
49 Bull St c.1880
Holy Trinity Reformed Episcopal Church. In 1874, a group of black members left the Protestant Episcopal Church and were admitted into the Reformed Episcopal Church. In 1875, they organized under the present name, and in 1876 acquired the present site. In 1880, the congregation hired Welling & Gleason, contractors, to build the present structure. It was completed in three weeks at a cost of $1,000. The cornerstone was laid by the Right Rev. Peter Fayssoux Stevens, first bishop of the Reformed Episcopal Church in South Carolina. This is a simple wooden structure with an air of dignity engendered by the classic portico and pleasing proportions. (Legerton, 22-23.)
56 Bull St.
This one-story frame, Greek Revival style house is said to have been the residence, c. 1821-22 of Demmar Vesey, alleged leader of an aborted slave insurrection in 1822. Vesey was a native of the West Indies who, brought to Charleston as a slave, bought his freedom in 1800 with money from a lottery prize, and became a prosperous carpenter. During Vesey's trial, it was testified that Vesey had corresponded with the black revolutionaries of Santo Domingo, and had enlisted more than 6,000 slaves in Charleston and the region for 50 miles around, into his plot. The testimony stated that the city was to have been burned, the banks robbed, the white men killed, the white women ravished, and ships seized for transporting the insurrectionists to Santo Domingo. Vesey and 34 blacks were hanged and 32 transported from the United States; all were slaves except Vesey. Four white men, accused of having encouraged the plot, were imprisoned. Black churches were closed and new laws adopted for the regulation of blacks. (Wallace, 384-385. Leland, Charleston: Crossroads of History, 36,38,59. Rosen, 70-72, 91,112. Ravenel, Charleston, The Place and the People, 437-438. Stockton, DYKYC, August 23, 1976. National Register Nomination, Oct. 30, 1975. CEP, March 17, 1977. Starrobin.)
66 Bull St. c.1819
Built before 1819 by John Cart, a lumberman and measurer of wood and coal, this two and one-half story wood house has interior woodwork in the Federal style. (Thomas, DYKYC, Aug. 18 1969.)
76 Bull St. c.1813
Built c. 1813 by George Mathewes, a vendue master, this house has a
T-shaped plan, piazza across the front, and Adamesque interior treatment. lt was the home, from 1821 to 1843 of Hugh Swinton Legare (1797-1843), attorney, member of the South Carolina General Assembly (1820-22, 1824-30), editor of the Southern Review (from 1829), S.C. Attorney General (1830-32), U.S. charge d'affairs at Brussels (1837-39), U .S. Attorney General (1841-43) and U.S.
Secretary of State (1843). Had he lived, Legare might have been the Whig candidate for President in 1844. (Thomas, DYKYC, Aug. 25, 1969. Davis, That Ambitious Mr. Legare.)
84 Bull St. c.1840?
Huchet House. The builder of this substantial wooden house, on a high brick basement, is undocumented. It was purchased in 1857 by Count Eugene Joseph Huchet, a French nobleman. Tradition says he lost his fortune in a single day's trading in cotton. The house was inherited by his three daughters. Miss Naomi Elizabeth Huchet, the last surviving daughter, died in 1932, bequeathing the house as a home for elderly women. The house formerly had a
front piazza with Doric columns on the first level and Ionic on the second. (News & Courier, Jan 15 and 21, 1932.)
96 Bull St. c.1815
Built c. 1815, probably by Isaac Bennett, of the famous sailing and building family, this notable house has two and one-half stories of wood on a raised brick basement, and a one story piazza. The Aadsmesque frieze with swags is found on other Bennett houses, at 112 and 128 Bull St. (Thomas, DYKYC, Sept 1, 1969)
99 Bull St.
This notable antebellum house was the home of Capt. Warrington Dawson, British-born editor of the News and Courier. Capt. Dawson was honored by the Pope for his edltorials against dueling, and is credited with coining the New South slogan, "Bring the mills to the cotton." Politically, he promoted the concept of "fusion" during Reconstruction, urging whites to help elect qualified Republicans rather than boycotting the polls. Capt. Dawson was shot to death in 1889 by Dr. Thomas B. McDow, during an argument over Dr. McDow's alleged inappropriate attentions to a young Frenchwoman in Capt. Dawson's employ. The front of the house was greatly altered after suffering severe damage in the 1886 earthquake. The interior contains a mixture of woodwork typical of the 1840s and of the 1890s. (Stoney, This is Charleston, 18. Wallace, 480. ; Rosen, 119-120. Ravenel, Charleston Murderers, 71-107. )
100 Bull St. c.1820
The western portion of this hybrid house was built c. 1820 by Honore Monpoey, a grocer, factor and Ashley River planter. The larger eastern portion was added in the 1890s by Herman Wilkes' family, with decoration in the Colonial Revival taste. (Thomas, DYKYC, Sept. 8, 1969.)
101-107 Bull St. c.1849
This row of town houses in the Italianate style was built between 1849 and 1854 for Sarah Smith. During the Civil War, William C. Bee and Co. moved it stores to the row, which was beyond the range of the Federal guns. Shoppers went to the "Bee Block," or the "Bee Store," as the row was called, to buy merchandise brought into port by Confederate blockade runners. The row is distinguished by its terra cotta pediments, cast iron fences and elaborate interior plasterwork. (Thomas, DYKYC, Aug. 5, 1968.)
104 Bull St. c.1802
Built before 1802 by Thomas Bennett, builder architect and lumberman, or by his son Gov. Thomas Bennett (see 69 Barre St.), this two story wooden structure on a high brick basement is a notable Adamesque house, with fine detailing including the Palladian window. The Bennett family built similar houses at 96, 112 and 128 Bull St. The marble steps were added by Charles C. Schirmer after he acquired the property in 1916.
(Thomas, DYKYC, Sept. 15, 1969. Stoney, This is Charleston, 18.)
125 Bull St. c.1867
This substantial brick building was built in 1867-68 as Avery Normal Institute, Charleston's first free secondary school for blacks. The school was organized in 1865 by the Rev. F.L. Cardozo. The building was constructed by the Freedman's Bureau on land purchased by the American Missionary Association of New York City. Cardozo secured a $10,000 grant from the Avery Fund to build the school. It was named for the Rev. Charles Avery of Pittsburgh, a philantrophic Methodist minister. The school was operated as a private institution until 1947, when it became a city public school. The school merged with Burke High School in 1954. In 1955, the building was occupied by Palmer Business School, which subsequently became Palmer College and later merged with the State-run Trident Technical College. Many leading members of Charleston's black community received their education at Avery, which was considered comparable to the city's best public schools. Graduates included T.M. Stewart, a Liberian Supreme Court justice, Dr. R.S. Wilkinson, president of South Carolina State College, and Riohard E. Fields, the first black in modern times to be named as Judge of the Municipal Court of Charleston, and the second black circuit judge. (Stockton, DYKYC, Oct. 29, 1973. Leland, Charleston, Crossroads of History, 64,86.)
128 Bull St. c.1814
This two and one half story wooden house on a brick basement was built before 1814, probably by Joseph Bennett, brother of Gov. Thomas Bennett. lt is also known as the Thomas Grange Simons House because his family owned it for 90 years, from 1818 to 1909. The house is notable for its Adamesque style architecture including the frieze of swags below the cornice, a favorite
motif of the Bennett family of builders. The entrance portico has fluted Doric columns and a frieze with triglyphs, and curving iron-railed steps. (Stoney, This is Charleston, 18. Simons & Lapham, 154. Thomas, DYKYC, Sept. 22, 1969.)
129 Bull St. c.1822
The rear portion of this houne was built before 1822 for Mrs. Rebecca Drayton, the second wife and widow of John Drayton of Drayton Hall. When built, it was the last residence on the west end of Bull Street. The house was remodeled and enlarged in 1846 by Lewis Rebb, a building contractor. Rebb was the contractor for the remodeling of the Charleston Orphan House by architects Jones & Lee in 1853-54, and for the Citadel Square Baptist Church, built in 1855-56 and also designed by Jones & Lee. (Thomas, DYKYC, Sept. 29, 1969. Ravenel, Architects, 212,225.)