College Street is named for the College of Charleston, through whose lands it was cut in 1797. The street became integrated into the college's campus once again in the 1970s.
5, 7 & 9 College St.
-- These three frame houses were built by Abiel Bolles, a schoolmaster who operated a private school for young ladies. Five College is apparently the oldest. Built c. 1826, it has mantels in the late Federal style. Seven and 9 College have mantels and other woodwork typical of the 1830s. Nine College was purchased in 1835 by Dr. John Bellinger, who held the chair in surgery at the Medical College of South Caro lina and was a pioneer (1847) in the removal of abdominal tumors. Nine College is the finest of the three, and boasts an impressive Regency style fanlight and sidelights in the doorway to the piazza. The main entrance is at basement level under a small columned portico. The main stair has mahogany newels in th Empire scroll design and mantels are of black marble in the Greek Revival style. No. 7 has a narrow entrance with a small fanlight, and original mantels and woodwork.
(Stockton, unpub. notes.)
11 College St.
-- Samuel Wilson, a King Street merchant and entrepreneur, built this Queen Anne style mansion as his residence in 1891. He engaged S.W. Foulk of Richmond, Va. , as his architect and Henry Oliver of Charleston as his builder. The house is two and one half stories of wood on a basement of Winnsboro granite, and is a Victorian fantasy of curving bays, piazzas, turrets and gables. The interior is also finely finished exceptional woodwork, parquet floors, tiles, mirrors and hardware. Wilson, a Charleston native who was said to have been an orphan, entered the grocery business in Charleston shortly after the Civil War and was the proprietor of the famous Charleston Tea Pot, retail and wholesale grocery and tea company, on King Street. He also branched into other interests, becoming president of the Dime Savings Bank, the Charleston Bridge Co. , and the New Charleston Hotel Co. He was also managing director of the Charleston Consolidated Railway, Gas and Electric Company (predecessor of the South Carolina Electric and Gas Co. ) and had shares in numerous other businesses. He also invested in real estate and by degrees acquired most of the block on which his house was built. After Wilson's death in 1909, the house was acquired by the Sottile family, from whom the College of Charleston acquired it in 1964. lt is currently (1984) used as a women's residence hall.
(Stockton, DYKYC, April 28, 1975 & Feb. 9, 1981.; Leland, DYKYC, Jan. 21, 1957.)