Home About Us Catalog Borrowing Services Resources Programs & Events Locations





Coming Street

Photo: 69 Coming St. c.1817

Other photos this page:

26 Coming St. c.1798

34 Coming St. c.1771

38 Coming St. c.1770

Plus additional linked photos

Coming Street is named for Mrs. Affra Coming, who came on the ship Carolina in 1670 and left the Glebe Lands to the Anglican Church.



 

17 Coming St. c.1839

-- This two and one-half story frame single house was built after April 1839 for Mrs . Sarah A. Kohrs.
(Stockton, unpub. notes.)



 

26 Coming St. c.1798

--This small two and one-half story frame single house was moved from 25 St. Philip St. by the College of Charleston. lt was built c. 1798 by James Denton on a lot leased from St. Philip's Church. Denton operated the Fish Market Wharf on East Bay. The house is now part of the College of Charleston campus complex.
(Stockton, unpub. notes.)



 

29 Coming St. c.1907

-- This late Victorian house was built in 1907 by J. A. Hesse, and is now owned by the College of Charleston.
(Stockton, unpub. notes.)



 

32 Coming St. c.1908

-- This house was built in 1908 by H. T Zacharias, a prominent building contractor. lt now belongs to the College of Charleston.
(Stockton, unpub. notes.)



 

34 Coming St. c.1771

-- This two and one-half story frame single house, with a Victorianized roof was probably built between 1771-78 by Thomas Harvey, a vintner. An advertisement for sale in 1792 mentions "a very valuable brick distillery," on the property. The house was built on land leased from St. Philip's Church, to which it belonged until sold by the church in 1906. (Stockton, DYKYC, Aug 18, 1980.)



 

36 Coming St. c.1842

IMAGE-- Charles Graves , a planter, built this three and one half story brick house in 1842 on land leased frcm St. Philip's Church. The exterior of the building is conservative in style, except for the Greek Revival piazza. The masked piazza end adds interest. The interior is typical of the 1840s. Now owned by the College.
(Stockton, DYKYC, Aug 14, 1972.)




 



38 Coming St. c.1770

-- The two and one half story frame house on a high brick basement was built c. 1770 by John Scott, on one of St. Philip's leased glebe lots. The interior and the roofline were later remodeled in the Greek Revival style. The College of Charleston now owns the property.
(Stockton, News & Courier , Aug 5, 1972)



 

40 Coming St. c.1851

IMAGE -- This two and one-half story brick house was built c. 1851 by William James Rivers, a notable Charleston author and teacher. His residence and academy were located here until 1857, when he became professor of classical languages at the South Carolina College in Columbia. He was the author of several works on South Carolina history. Now owned by the College of Charleston.
(News & Courier , March 10, 1970.)



 

57 Coming St. c.1884

.-- This two story frame house was built c. 1884 by John H. Kornahrens, a soda water manufacturer, who had his bottling plant in the basement and his residence in the main portion of the house. Since 1925, the house has been owned by the family of Edward Leon Guenveur, a prominent black plumbing contractor (died 1969).
(Stockton, unpub. M.S.)



 

59 Coming St. c.1879

IMAGE -- This two story building was built in 1879 by Francis A. Ryan as a grocery store and residence. lt now belongs to the College of Charleston.
(Stockton, unpub. notes.)



 

69 Coming St. c.1817

IMAGE: TOP OF PAGE-- This notable two and one half story frame house on a high brick basement was built before 1817 by Nathaniel Farr and his wife, Katherine Blacklock. The property is now owned by the College of Charleston.
(Stockton, unpub. notes.)