Franklin Street was originally called Back Street for its position on the back part of town.
(Stockton, unpub. notes.)
9 Franklin St. c.1855
IMAGE-- This town house in the ltalianate is a two story wooden structure, built c. 1855 by B.C. Pressley. lt was owned by the Silcox family for about a century, until 1968.
(Thomas , DYKYC, June 30, 1969; Stoney, This is Charleston , p.49; City of Charleston Assessments; City of Charleston Archives)
IMAGE: ON RIGHT-- George W. Cooper, an attorney, built this two and one-half story clapboard house in the Carpenter's Gothic style. lt has a mid-19th century town house plan and unusual open work columns on the portico and piazza.
(Thomas, DYKYC, July 7,1969; Stoney, This is Charleston , p.49 )
15 Franklin St. c.1850
IMAGE-- Built c. 1850 by Etienne Poincignon a prosperous tinsmith and real estate developer, this three story brick house has a stuoccoed facade, a parapet roofline and a town house plan. DuBose Heyward, the author, lived here as a child.
(Thomas, DYKYC, July 14,1969; Stoney, This is Charleston , p.50 )
IMAGE: TOP OF PAGE-- Theodore A. Whitney, a broker and commission merchant, built this three and one-half story brick ltalianate structure, stuccoed, with brownstone window sills. In the 1870s and 80s, it was the home of Paul Dejardin, the French consul. A room in the basement was constructed as a wine cellar. During hurricane in the 1940s, it is said that a large quantity of French wine bottles floated from under the house. There are two noteworthy outbuildings in th
(Thomas, DYKYC, July 21,1969; Stoney, This is Charleston , p.50 )
IMAGE: ON RIGHT-- The old Marine Hospital was designed by architect Robert Mills. Begun about 1831 and completed in 1834, it was the city's earliest Gothic Revival style building. lt was built for the Federal government for the care of sick and disabled merchant seamen of American and foreign ships. lt served also as a teaching hospital for the Medical College of South Carolina and as a military hospital for the confederacy. After the Civil War, a free school for black children, staffed by 15 white Charleston women, was conducted here by the Episcopal Church, from 1866 to 1870. The building was used by the Black community for various purposes until 1895, when it was occupied by the Jenkins Orphanage for Black children. The Orphanage was founded in 1891 by the Rev. D.J. Jenkins, Black Baptist minister. The famous Jenkins Orphanage Band toured the United States and Europe to raise funds for the orphanage. ln 1939, the orphanage moved across the Ashley River and the building was acquired by the Housing Authority of Charleston, which remodeled it as administrative offices. The two rear wings, having been weakened by fires, were demolished during the renovation. The architect of the building, who was also the architect of the Washington Monument in the national capital and of many other famous structure throughout the country, is commemorated in the name of the housing project nearby, the Robert Mills Manor.
(Ravenel, Architects , p.132 ; Whitelaw & Levkoff, p.214-215 ; Waring, The Marine Hospitals , p.1; Thomas, DYKYC, July 22,1968; Stoney, This is Charleston , p.50 )