Gadsden Street, one of the original streets of Harleston village, laid out in 1770, was named for Christopher Gadsden, Patriot general and lieutenant governor of South Carolina during the Revolution.
(Rogers, Charleston in the Age of the Pinckneys , p.61 ; Smith & Smith, Dwelling Houses , p.312,315 )
4 Gadsden St.
-- Built c. 1852 by John Steinmeyer on land leased from Nathan Nathans, a King Street merchant this three story brick house on a high basement is in the Greek Revival style. lt has '"Tower of th Winds"" columns on the portico and fluted Tuscan columns on the piazza. The primary rooms of the interior have elaborate plasterwork in the taste of the period. Steinmeyer was a lumber merchant who had his sawmills on the opposite side of Gadsden Street. ln 1886, the house was purchased by George W. Egan, builder and contractor, who was one of the builders of the Charleston jetties . He restored the house which was severely damaged in the 1886 earthquake and it remained in his family until 1965.
(Stockton, DYKYC, July 21,1980.; Thomas, DYKYC, April 13,1970.; Stoney, This is Charleston , p.50 )
19 Gadsden St.
-- Built c. 1828 by Thomas Hamlin, this one and one-half story raised cottage once overlooked the Ashley River and its marshes. (Stockton, unpub. notes.; Stoney, This is Charleston , p.50 )
47 Gadsden St.
-- The Esdorn House is a Charleston single house in miniature, given an "L" shape by the attachment of its former kitchen building. lt was built by Herman Esdorn soon after he returned from service in the Confederate Army. Esdorn also built on the property a one story frame building in which he operated a grocery store and saloon.
(Stoney, DYKYC, June 16,1980.)