Glebe Street is named for the Glebe Lands, a tract of 17 acres which Affra Harleston Coming gave to the Minister of the Church of England in Charles Town, and his successors in 1698. The Glebe Lands were divided into lots, with large space reserved for the parsonage of St. Philip's church, in 1770. The parsonage lot was further subdivided and Glebe Street was cut through the block in 1797.
(Stoney, This is Charleston , p.126 ; Stockton, DYKYC, March 5,1979.)
IMAGE: TOP OF PAGE -- Built in 1770 as St. Philip's Glebe House, this two story brick house on a high brick basement has the relative simplicity expected of an 18th century parsonage. The house now serves as the official residence of the College of Charleston's President This use is historically fitting, as it was once the residence of the Rev. Robert Smith, who was the College's first president as well as South Carolina's first Episcopal bishop. The house's interior wood work, in the Georgian style, is unpretentious but excellent. The college's first classes met here.
(Stoney, This is Charleston , p.54 ; Smith & Smith, Dwelling Houses , p.313-315 ; Stockton, DYKYC, March 5,1979.; Leland, DYKYC, April 29,1957.)
7 Glebe St.
--Mount Zion A.M.E. Methodist Church, built in 1847-48 as the Glebe Street Presbyterian Church, was once attributed to Charleton architect Francis D. Lee. However, it has since been shown to have been the first commission of Edward C. Jones, to whom Lee was apprenticed before becoming his partner in 1852. The design is a very academic one and shows the influence of Sir John Soane (1753-1837) one of England's most prominent architects of the late 18th and early 19th century, and whose designs were published. When the church was built, the land was leased from St. Philip's Episcopal Church ln 1856, the lot was conveyed to the Glebe Street Presbyterian Church in fee simple by St. Philip's. The Glebe Street Church sold the property to the Zion Presbyterian church in 1866. ln 1882, Zion Presbyterian merged with the Central Presbyterian Church on Meeting Street, and the Glebe Street property was purchased by a group from Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church. They organized a new congregation, which kept the name Zion and named their church the Mount Zion African Methodist Episcopa church. part of the College of Charleston campus.
(Legerton, Historic Churches, p.56-57 ; Ravenel, Architects , p.229-230 ; News & Courier , Aug.29,1885; Stoney, This is Charleston , p.54)
IMAGE: 12 Glebe St....|...IMAGE: 14 Glebe St....|...IMAGE: 16 Glebe St....|...IMAGE: 20 Glebe St.: ON RIGHT -- These College-owned houses have not been "dated" precisely, but all appear on a plat of St. Philip's Glebe Lands, which was recorded May 30, 1855. All were built by lessees on lots which they leased from St. Philip's church. Gener ally, the leases were for 3l years, with the lessee or his heirs given the first option to renew the lease (with the approval of the vestry). lf the tenant did not renew the lease, he had the option of moving the house or conveying it to the vestry.
(Stockton, unpub. notes.; Plat Book A, p.126)
26 Glebe St.
IMAGE-- This two and one-half story stuccoed brick house, with a town house plan and Victorian details, was built sometime before 1888. lt is now part of the College of Charleston campus.
(Sanborn Map, 1888. )