Presumably named for the College of Charleston Green, this street was cut through the College Lands in 1797.
(Easterby, History of Charleston , p.24-27)
2 Green St.
-- This small two and one half story frame house was built c. 1817 by James Martindale, a planter. From 1844, it was the residence of Mrs . Elizabeth Johnson a "free person of color," and her descendants. Record books of the Brown Fellowship Society (see 52-54 Pitt) were found inside the house when it was being restored by the College of Charleston in the 1970s.
(Stockton, DYKYC, Nov. 1,1971.)
4 Green St.
-- This three story brick house was built before 1817, and is part of the College of Charleston campus.
(Stoney, This is Charleston , p.55)
6 Green St.
-- Built c. 1815, this small house, two stories of brick, was moved in 1967 to permit creation of the College Mall, and moved again in 1971 from the new Robert Scott Small Library site.
(Stockton, News & Courier , Feb. 12,1971; Stoney, This is Charleston , p.55)
10 Green St
. -- This is the remaining one of a pair of two story brick Greek Revival tenements built by Gov. William Aiken, c. 1841. lts twin at 8 Green was demolished to provide a final site for 6 Green St.
(Thomas, DYKYC, Feb. 22,1971; Stoney, This is Charleston , p.55)
14 Green St.
-- This ltalianate style structure, three stories of wood with a cupola, masked piazza and two tiers of lacy iron piazza, was built c. 1846 by Mrs. Catherine P. ox. lt was the home of Albert Oseol Jones, a black man who was clerk of the South Carolina House of Representatives in 1868-77. Later it was the Lesesne family residence. lt is now part of the College of Charleston campus.
(Stoney, This is Charleston , p.55; Stockton, DYKYC, Feb. 21,1972.)