Montagu Street was named for Sir Charles Greville Montagu, Royal Governor of South Carolina, 1766-68. lt was one of the original streets of Harleston, laid out in 1770.
(Rogers, Charleston in the Age of the Pinckneys , p. 61; "Streets of Charleston")
6 Montagu St. c.1805
IMAGE-- John Rudolph Switzer, a prosperous sadler, built this Adamesque residence sometime between his purchase of the land in 1803 and his death seven years later. lt has two principal stories on an English basement and is a single house, although the piazza side faces the street.
(Thomas, DYKYC, Oct. 11, 1971)
11 Montagu St. c.1818
IMAGE-- This large three story dwelling was built in two stages. lt was begun c. 1818 by the Schmid family and completed c. 1829 by Robert Eason Conner, a grain merchant and grist miller.
(Thomas, DYKYC, Oct. 27, 1971; Stoney, This Is Charleston , p. 81)
12 Montagu St. c.1812
IMAGE -- This imposing three story stuccoed brick dwelling was built c. 1812 by Capt. Daniel McNeill, a mariner, wholesale grocer and wine merchant. The house was extensively rebuilt about 1900 by George W. Eagan, a building contractor, who added the third story and the three story bay.
(Thomas, DYKYC, Nov. 8, 1971)
13 Montagu St. c.1789
IMAGE -- This two story frame house on a high brick basement was built for Jacob Williman around 1789 and is among the earliest houses in Harleston. The frame construction is massive and the floor plan is dominated by a large center chimney.
(Thomas, DYKYC, Nov. 12, 1971; Stoney, This Is Charleston , p. 81)
16 Montagu St. c.1830
IMAGE -- This three story Greek Revival house was built by Caroline Blackwood soon after 1830. Mrs Blackwood was the daughter of George Gibbes, a baker, and the wife of John Blackwood, a merchant, and later of commission agent George W. Brown. They sold the property in 1848.
(Thomas, DYKYC, July 6, 1971)
18 Montagu St. c.1788
IMAGE -- Benjamin Smith, a planter at Beechawe Plantation, Goose Creek, built this two story wooden house on its full-height brick basement sometime before 1788. lt retains outstanding Georgian woodwork. Owned 1809 to 1813 by Chancellor William Henry DeSaussure, the first director of the United States Mint, and his wife Elizabeth Ford. The house was severely damaged by a tornado in 1811. Dr. Thomas Grange Simons, who purchased the house in 1885, installed paired windows on the exterior and a pressed metal ceiling in the drawing room.
(Thomas, DYKYC, Dec. 27, 1971; Smith & Smith, Dwelling Houses , pp. 318-321; Stoney, This is Charleston , p. 81)
20 Montagu St. c.1809
IMAGE -- Built before 1809 by Daniel Cobia, this house of three and one-half stories on a high basement of brick, was built by 1809 by Daniel Cobia, a planter and a butcher. lt was purchased in 1834 by Dr. James Moultrie, Jr. (1793-1869), a founder of the Medical College of South Carolina, whose family lived here for 45 years. After 1879 it was the home of Gen. Edward McCrady (1833-1903), whose four-volume History of South Carolina was probably begun here.
(Thomas, DYKYC, Jan. l0, 1972; Burton, unpub. MS.; Stoney, This is Charleston , p. 81)
23 Montagu St. c.1843
IMAGE -- This three story stuccoed brick house was built c. 1843 by Dr. Thomas Eveleigh for his daughter, Mrs. Eliza Rivers. The facade was Victorianized in the 1890s by John Henry Bulwinkel, a grocer and saloon
keeper, who also added Eastlake mantels inside.
(Thomas, DYKYC, Feb. 7, 1972)
24 Montagu St. c.1804
IMAGE -- The small two and one-half story single house was built c. 1804 by Daniel Bruckner, a merchant. lt has a single tier piazza on three sides, now partly enclosed.
(Thomas, DYKYC, Jan. 24, 1972)
25 Montagu St. c.1847
IMAGE -- This three and one-half story brick house was constructed soon after 1847 by John Robinson, factor in the firm of Robinson & Caldwell, and a son of John Robinson who built the group of Regency houses at Judith and Elizabeth streets.
(Thomas, DYKYC, Feb. 28, 1972)
27 Montagu St. c.1846
IMAGE -- Built c. 1846 for Mrs. D.T. Heriot, daughter of Dr. Thomas Eveleigh (who built 23 Montagu for another daughter). The two and one-half story brick dwelling remained in the Heriot family until 1885.
(Thomas, DYKYC, March 13, 1972)
28 Montagu St. c.1809
IMAGE-- The two story frame dwelling with a pedimented facade was apparently built c. 1809 for Mrs. Hannah Groning, wife of John Groning, a merchant. She retained it until 1833. The house was remodeled by subsequent owners, but retains most Adamesque details.
(Thomas, DYKYC, March 27, 1972; Stoney, This is Charleston , p. 81)
29 Montagu St. c.1850
IMAGE- Ettsel L. Adams, a merchant, built this house after acquiring the site in 1849, and sold it in 1853. The three story brick, on a high basement, has a mid-19th century town house plan.
(Thomas, DYKYC, April 10, 1972)
30, 32 & 34 Montagu St. c.1854
IMAGE: 30 Montagu St.IMAGE: 34 Montagu St.-- The three ltalianate houses, one detached and two sharing a common wall, were built in 1854 and apparently planned as part of a large group extending west to Smith Street. Their design is attributed (without documentation) to architect Edward C. Jones.
No. 30 was built by Dr. Christopher G. White, the double residence by T. Jefferson Tobias and John H. Lopez.
(Thomas, DYKYC, April 24, 1972; Ravenel, Architects , p. 219)
39 Montagu St. c.1881
IMAGE-- This two and one-half story frame dwelling was built c. 1881 by Harriet R. Simons.
(Stockton, DYKYC, Oct. 11, 1971)
40 Montagu St. c.1891
-- This rambling two and one half story frame Victorian was built c. 1891-94 by Bernard Wohlers, a grocery firm manager. It combines Eastlake, Queen Anne and Shingle styles of architecture into what the Victorians called the "American" style.
(Thomas, DYKYC, May 8, 1972)
42 Montagu St. c.1850
-- This two story stuccoed brick house was formerly a carriage house, built c. 1850, for 93 Rutledge Ave. It was built by Edward Leonard Trenholm, merchant and shipper.
(Thomas, DYKYC, June 5, 1972)
44 Montagu St. c.1847
-- This two and one-half story brick villa was built sometime after 1847 by John Harleston Read, grandson of Col. John Harleston whose family developed the suburb of Harleston. This site came from John
Harleston through his daughter Sarah who married Dr. William Read. This is essentially a raised cottage with its primary rooms on the second level, designed to take advantage of a suburban site and its proximity to the Ashley River.
(Thomas, DYKYC, May 22, 1972)
54 Montagu St. c.1815
-- This two and one half story wooden house on a high basement, with a pediment, piazza facing the street and double flight of steps, was built c. 1815-20 by Dr. Edward Washington North, a physician, lntendant of Charleston and president of the Medical Society of South Carolina.
(Thomas, DYKYC, June 19, 1972; Stoney, This is Charleston , p. 82)
60 Montagu St. c.1802
-- This spectacular Adamesque mansion was built c. 1802 by Theodore Gaillard, a Cooper Rice planter and factor. After 1815, it was the home of Gen. Jacob Read, Revolutionay hero and U.S. Senator. From 1819, it was the home of James Shoolbred, the Santee planter and the first British consul in Charleston. From 1851, it was the home of Washington Jefferson Bennett, a son of Gov. Thomas Bennett and operator of the family rice and lumber mills. Bennett adopted the orphan Andrew Buist Murray, who later became a wealthy businessman and philantropist, whom Murray Boulevard is named after. The house has unrestrained Adamesque interiors.
(Thomas, DYKYC, July 3, 1972; Smith & Smith, Dwelling Houses , pp. 327-328, 331-333; Stoney, This is Charleston , p. 82)
64 Montagu St. c.1813
-- Two and one half stories of wood on a high basement, this notable house was built by Thomas Bennett (1754-1814), lumberman, building contractor and architect (the Orphan House), and mill owner. The front portico over the stair landing was changed about 1900 to create a broad piazza with the bottom-level columns supported by high piers. The house was built before 1813, when Bennett was living here.
(Thomas, DYKYC, July 17, 1972; Stoney, This is Charleston , p. 82)