Home About Us Catalog Borrowing Services Resources Programs & Events Locations





Pitt Street

Photo: 3 Pitt St. c.1788

Other photos this page:

4 Pitt St. c.1815

13 Pitt St. c.1858

31 Pitt St. c.1849

82 Pitt St. c.1841

Plus additional linked photos.

Pitt Street was named for William Pitt, Earl of Chatham, champion of Colonial rights. lt was one of the original streets of Harleston, laid out in 1770.
(Smith & Smith, Dwelling Houses , pp. 312, 315; Rogers, Charleston in the Age of the Pinckneys , p. 61, "Streets of Charleston")



 

1 Pitt St. c.1848

IMAGE -- This two story brick house in the Greek Revival style was built sometime before 1848 by Charle Henry Lanneau. Bazile Lanneau, who came to South Carolina in 1755 as an Acadian exile, purchased in 1778 the entire west side of the block, between Beaufain and Wentworth, and subsequently he and his family built several houses on the tract.
(Thomas, DYKYC, June 22, 1970)



 

2 Pitt St. c.1788

IMAGE -- Built before 1788 by Bazile Lanneau, this two and a half story frame house formerly stood at 34 St. Philip St. and was moved from the site of the City Parking Garage there by the Preservation Society of Charleston, in 1974. By coincidence, the house Lanneau built on St. Philip Street is now across the street from several houses built by Lanneau and his family.
(Stockton, DYKYC, Sept. 25, 1978)



 

3 Pitt St. c.1788

IMAGE: TOP OF PAGE-- The frame house here was built by Bazile Lanneau
sometime between his purchase of the property in 1778 and his death in 1833. Lanneau, a prosperous currier and tanner, served three terms in the state legislature. The third floor was added in the 19th century.
(Stockton, DYKYC, June 18, 1973)



 

4 Pitt St. c.1815

IMAGE: ON RIGHT -- Built after 1815 by Rachel Lazarus, this two and one-half story frame house was moved from 53 George St., on the site of the City Parking Garage, by the Preservation Society of Charleston.
(Stockton, DYKYC, Sept. 25, 1978)



 

5 Pitt St.

IMAGE -- This two story stuccoed brick, Greek Revival house was built by the Lanneau family after 1830. Subsequently, it was the home of the Pollitzer sisters, who were musicians and participated in the Suffrage
movement.
(Stockton, unpub. notes.; Thomas, DYKYC, June 22, 1970)



 

7 Pitt St. c.1837

IMAGE -- A two story brick Greek Revival, this house was built c. 1837-40 by Bazile R. Lanneau, son of the first Bazile Lanneau who built 2 and 3 Pitt.
(Thomas, DYKYC, Aug. 16, 1971)



 

9 Pitt St. c.1830

IMAGE-- This substantial brick house was also built by the Lanneau family, after 1830.
(Thomas, DYKYC, June 22, 1970)



 

13 Pitt St. c.1858

IMAGE: ON RIGHT -- Henry Gerdts , a wholesale grocer and commission merchant, built this two and one half story brick house sometime between 1858 and 1860. The house is finely detailed, with an elaborate carved brown stone entranceway, with a pediment on consoles, and brownstone sills and lintels on the windows. The piazza, with Corinthian and lonic columns and Corinthian entablature, is also notable.
(Thomas, DYKYC, March 16, 1970; Stoney, This is Charleston , p. 83)



 

18 & 20 Pitt St. c.1880

IMAGE: 18 Pitt St. --IMAGE: 20 Pitt St. Samuel H. Wilson, King Street merchant, banker and real estate developer, built these two two-story wooden houses, of six rooms each, in 1880, as rentals. J. Jenkinson was his contractor.
(N&C, April 2, 1880)



 

21 Pitt St. c.1838

IMAGE-- This two and one-half story brick house was built about 1838 for Emily Gaillard, wife of Theodore Gaillard. She lived here until she sold it in
1852. A sizable former outbuilding stands in the rear.
(Thomas, DYKYC, July 26, 1971)



 

31 Pitt St. c.1849

IMAGE: ON RIGHT -- John Schnierle, Mayor of Charleston in the 1840s and 50s and Major General of the 16th Regiment of South Carolina Militia, lived here until his death in 1869. Schnierle also served in the S.C. House 1838-41. Schnierle built this substantial wooden house, on a high brick basement, about 1849.
(Stockton, unpub. notes)



 

41 Pitt St.

IMAGE -- Association for the Blind -- This building, formerly occupied by Plymouth Congregational Church, was purchased and readapted for use by the Charleston County Association for the Blind, in 1957. The former churchyard has been landscaped as a fragrance garden for the blind.
(N&C, Oct. 6, 1957; Oct. 8, 1957)



 

52-54 Pitt St.

-- Site of the Brown Fellowship Society Hall and Burial Ground. The Society was founded in 1790 by free blacks as a mutual benevolent association, and purchased this site in 1794. The property was sold to the Bishop of Charleston in 1957 and the stones were moved to Magnolia Cemetery. ln addition to being a mutual aid burial and benevolent society, the Brown Fellowship Society maintained schools for black children.
(Stockton, unpub. notes)



 

57 Pitt St.

-- Bethel Methodist Church. A group of Methodists from the Blue Meeting House in Cumberland Street purchased this site in 1797 and built the structure now called Old Bethel Methodist Church, which was moved in 1880 to 222 Calhoun St. The present Greek Doric temple was built in 1852-53. The designer was a Mr. Curtis, of a family of architects and builders. The contractors were Rebb and Busby. During the Civil War, Bethel was the only Methodist church in the city which remained open.
(Mazyck & Waddell, illus. p. 35; Stoney, This Is Charleston , p. 84;---DYKYC, Sept. 28, 1964; Legerton, Historic Churches , pp. 42-43)



 

82 Pitt St. c.1841

IMAGE: ON RIGHT-- Built between 1841 and 1843 by Joseph A. Sanders and Septimus Sanders, bricklayers, this two and one-half story brick house is notable for its brick work. The site formerly was part of the garden of 84 Pitt St.
(Stockton, DYKYC, August 4, 1980)



 

84 Pitt St. c.1827

IMAGE-- This substantial wooden double house on high brick basement was built c. 1827 by Elias Whilden, a planter in Christ Church Parish. The house is an outstanding example of the Regency style, with largely intact interiors.
(Stockton, DYKYC, Sept. 25, 1972)