Named for John Rutledge, President and Governor of South Carolina, delegate to the Continental Congress and to the U.S. Constitutional Convention, Chief Justice of the South Carolina Supreme Court and Chief Justice of the U.S Supreme Court. lt began as Rutledge Street, laid out as one of the original streets of Harleston in 1770, and ran from Beaufain Street to Manigault (now Calhoun) Street. There was a causeway across Bennett's Mill Pond which continued the street to Calhoun Street. North of Calhoun, in Cannonborough, the street was known first as Pinckney Street and later as Rutledge Avenue. Rutledge Street was extended south from Beaufain to Broad Street, across the city marshes in 1849. Bennett's Mill Pond was filled in, between 1880 and 1900, and the causeway was replaced by a real street. The name, Rutledge Avenue, was applied to the entire length.
(Stockton, unpub. notes; CEO Plats, 77; Rogers, Charleston In The Age of the Pinckneys , p. 61)
22 Rutledge Ave. c.1902
IMAGE -- This two story brick and stucco residence was built c. 1902 for Dr. Manning Simons. lt was designed by Bradford Lee Gilbert of New York, architect for the South Carolina lnter-State and West lndian Exposition, held in 1901-02 on the present site of Hampton Park. The style of the building is an early 20th century interpretation of the Renaissance style, which characterized the Exposition.
(Thomas, DYKYC, Sept. 28, 1970)
30 Rutledge Ave. c.1902
IMAGE -- This frame house was built c. 1902 b Anna M. Wagner. lt stood originally at 28 St. Philip St. and was moved in 1975 by Dr. Anna M. Wagner, a granddaughter of the builder. The move was coordinated by the Preservation Society of Charleston, which moved several structures from the site of the City Parking Garage at St. Philip & George streets.
(Stockton, N&C. Jan. 27, 1975)
IMAGE: ON RIGHT -- Albert W. Todd, an architect, built this Colonial Revival house as his residence, c. 1903. Subsequently, woodwork from Belvedere Plantation (c. 1800) on Charleston Neck was installed by Dr. William Horlbeck Frampton, in the 1920s.
(Stockton, unpub. MS.;--- DYKYC, Dec. 15, 1980)
42 Rutledge Ave. c.1856
IMAGE -- This two and one-half story frame single house was built between 1856 and 1859 by Thomas J. O'Brien.
(Stockton, DYKYC, May 14, 1973)
44 Rutledge Ave. c.1872
IMAGE -- O'Brien also built this two and one half story frame single house, in 1872. William Jones was his contractor.
(Stockton, DYKYC, May 14, 1973; --- unpub. notes)
46 Rutledge Ave c.1983
IMAGE -- This reproduction of a Charleston single house was built in 1983 for George and Janice Kennerty. lt was designed by architect Douglas Boyce, Jr.
(Allen, DYKYC, April 25, 1983)
IMAGE -- A late Victorian, this large wooden house, which has very fine Colonial Revival interior details, was built in 1912 for Harriet F. Creighton, wife of George C. Creighton, president of the Whipple Lumber Company.
(Greene, unpub. notes; SCHS)
61-63 Rutledge Ave. c.1922
-- The Berkeley Court Apartments building was erected c. 1922 by Edward J. Murphy, builder of the Fort Sumter Hotel. The building is of fireproof construction.
(Stockton, N&C, April 28, 1974)
64 Rutledge Ave. c.1908
IMAGE -- George Harper built this large wooden residence in the Colonial Revival style in 1908. P.G. Powers was his contractor.
(Stockton, unpub. notes)
-- Built c. 1851 by Col . James H. Taylor, this house is in the Persian Villa style of architecture. A native of New England, Col. Taylor entertained Daniel Webster in this house, but his three sons fought for the Confederacy, one falling at Seven Pines.
(lsabella Leland, N&C, Nov. 29, 1956)
73 Rutledge Ave. c.1852
-- Built c. 1852 by William G. Whilden, this house was remodeled or rebuilt c. 1893 by lsaac W. Hirsch, a King street clothing merchant, in the Seoond Empire style. The stag window is a pun, Hirsch being the German word for stag.
(Thomas, DYKYC, Nov. 10, 1969)
IMAGE: TOP OF PAGE -- Documentation of this house has proven elusive. lt was built perhaps before 1783 by lsaac Child Harleston (1745-1798), a member of the First Provincial Congress and an officer with the Sixth Regiment of Continentals during the Revolution. Or it may have been built between 1783 and 1793 by Major Peter Bocquet, another Revolutionary politician and officer (see 95 Broad). lt may also have been built between 1796 and 1802 by John Mathews, another Patriot of the Revolution, member of the Continental Congress and Governor of South Carolina in 1781-83. Most interior details are in the Adamesque taste of c. 1800 but some Georgian features point to a possible earlier construction date.
(Thomas, DYKYC, May 18, 1970)
IMAGE: ON RIGHT -- This imposing Regency style house was built c. 1826 by Dr. Joseph Glover, a noted Charleston physician. The service wing is older, c. 1775. ln 1906, the property was purchased by Cavaliere Giovanni Sottile, Consul for ltaly.
(Stockton, unpub. notes.)
87 & 89 Rutledge Ave. c.1852
IMAGE -- James White built these houses, with spacious proportions typical of the mid-19th century. Built c. 1852, the corner house was apparently his residence. Eighty-seven Rutledge was built later, replacing a two story wooden house sometime before 1866. White was at various times the city lamplighter, a tavern keeper and Master of the City Alms House.
(Stockton, DYKYC, Feb. 12, 1980)
93 Rutledge Ave. c.1850
IMAGE -- This ltalianate mansion was built c 1850 by Edward L. Trenholm, a wealthy cotton export merchant whose company operated blockade runners during the Civil War.
(Nepveux, George Alfred Trenholm , pp. 8, 10; Stoney, This is Charleston , p. 89 )
IMAGE: ON RIGHT -- Built c. 1853 by lsaac Jenkins Mikell, a wealthy Edisto lsland planter, for his third bride, this ltalianate villa has an imposing portico with Jupiter or ram's head capitals. lt was described in 1857 as "one of the most ambitious of the private dwellings of Charleston". The interior has a curving stair and profuse plasterwork typical of the period. ln 1866, when real estate values were severely depressed, Mikell sold his town house to Edward Willis, a local merchant, for $22,500. Later, it was the home of Mayor John Ficken. From 1935 to 1960, it housed the Charleston County Free Library. lt is again in residential use.
(Stockton, DYKYC, Oct. 27, 1975; Stoney, N&C, April 26, 1964; Mrs. Townsend Mikell, unpub. MS. CCL; Stoney, This is Charleston , p. 90; Smith & Smith, Dwelling Houses , p. 321)
95 Rutledge Ave. c.1820
-- This substantial stuccoed brick house was built c. 1820 by Thomas Bannister Seabrook, an Edisto planter.
(Stockton, unpub. notes)
97 Rutledge Ave. c.1885
-- George Gibbon built this frame dwelling house in 1885 as his home. Henry Oliver was the contractor. The foundation is built of Stoney Landing brick. This was the home of Maude Gibbon who founded the Charleston Symphony Orchestra in 1919. Pablo Casals, the noted cellist, was among her famous guests.
(Stockton, unpub. notes)
IMAGE: ON RIGHT -- This house and its outbuildings were built between 1796 and 1804 by William Stevens Smith, an attorney, planter and legislator, on land which he thought belonged to his wife, Juliette Waring Smith, but which was legally owned by her kinsman, Benjami Waring, of Columbia. Smith had to inititate a court suit to clear up the misunderstanding, so that he could sell the property in 1804. Smith said he built this house as his home, but never lived in it, according to court records. Subsequent owners included the physician Dr. Thomas Ballard McDow, who achieved notoriety for himself and for the house, by fatally shooting, in the basement office, Capt. Francis Warrington Dawson, editor and publisher of the News and Courier , in 1889. Dawson had gone to McDow's office to remonstrate with him about McDow's alleged improper attentions to a young Frenchwoman in Dawson's employ. After a sensational trial, McDow was acquitted of the murder charge.
(Ravenel, Charleston Murders , pp. 71-107; Stockton, unpub MS.; ---DYKYC, Jan. 25, 1982).
104 Rutledge Ave. c.1816
-- This stuccoed brick single house was built c. 1816 by Thomas Bannister Seabrook, a prosperous Edisto lsland planter. The charming Victorian tower was a later addition.
(Stockton, unpub. notes)
121 Rutledge Ave.
-- Cannon Park. This site was once covered by Bennett's Mill Pond. By 1880, this part of the pond had been filled and designated Cannon's Mall, in honor of Daniel Cannon, who with Thomas Bennett, Sr., had developed sawmills in the vicinity. A landscape design was executed by Frederick Law Olmstead, but never completely executed because the park was chosen as the site of the Thomson Auditorium. Architect Frank P. Milburn designed the Beaux Arts style building which, according to contemporaneous accounts, was meant to be a lasting memorial to John Thomson, who had bequeathed $30,000 to the city & whose bequest met most of the $35,000 cost of the project. The building was completed in 90 days in order to be ready for the United Confederate Veterans reunion. The 8,000 seat auditorium continued to serve conventions until 1907, when it was occupied by the Charleston Museum, which remained here until 1980. Afterwards, the building burned and the ruins were demolished, leaving only the portico column. The City plans to complete the park according to the Olmstead design, but incorporate the columns into the pattern.
(Stockton, DYKYC, June 22, 1981; Whitelaw & Levkoff, p. 108)