Home About Us Catalog Borrowing Services Resources Programs & Events Locations





St. Philip Street

St. Philip Street received its name from its course alongside the Glebe Lands of St. Philip's Church.
("Streets of Charleston")



 

15, 17 & 19 St. Philip St.

-- John S. Riggs, who developed Charleston's streetcar system in the 1860s, built these three ltalianate single houses (along with their counterparts at 88 and 90 Wentworth St.) in 1859-60 as tenements. These three houses are now part of the College of Charleston campus.
(Stockton, DYKYC, Jan. 1, 1973)



 

44 St. Philip St.

-- This two story frame house was built after 1770 by Edward McCrady, a Patriot in the Revolution who was exiled by the British to St. Augustine and who ran McCrady's Tavern, at which Washington was entertained in 1791. This house is now part of the College of Charleston campus.
(Stockton, DYKYC, March 11, 1974)



 

50 St. Philip St.

-- This parking lot includes the site of the Charleston Female Seminary, founded in 1870 by Henrietta Aiken Kelley. Known as "Miss Kelley's School" it was one of the leading schools for girls in the South. The building, constructed in 1871, was designed by John Henry Devereux and is of "mixed Roman" or ltalianate architecture, with an arcaded and pedimented facade.
(Stockton, unpub. notes; Whitelaw & Levkoff, p. 89)



 

68 St. Philip St.

-- This parking lot was the site of the Brith Sholom Synagogue, built for an Orthodox Jewish congregation in 1874-75. The Classic Revival building was designed by Abrahams & Seyle, architects, and built by John Henry Devereux, the architect who was a contractor as well. The interior of the building was rebuilt inside the Brith Sholom Beth lsrael Synagogue at 182 Rutledge Ave., in 1955-56.
(Legerton, Historic Churches , pp. 140-141; Stockton unpub. notes)



 

81 St. Philip St.

-- Southern Bell Telephone and Telegraph Co. opened an office in Charleston in 1879, by the end of which year there were 84 telephones in service. This building dates from the late 1940s.
(Charleston Grows , p.118)



 

134 St. Philip St.

-- St. Patrick's Roman Catholic Church. This parish was established in 1837 for Catholics living on "The Neck." A wooden church was built in 1838. lt was rolled across the street in 1886 and used as a school; it was replaced in 1930 by the present brick school building at 125 St. Philip. The present church, designed by Patrick Charles Keeley, a Brooklyn architect, was constructed in 1886-87. Sqeeley also designed St. Finbar's and its successor, the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist on Broad Street, as well as hundreds of other churches across the country. The contractor was H.L. Cade, who was also one of the contractors for the Cathedral.
(Stockton, DYKYC, March 30, 1981; O'Brien, St. Patrick's , pp. 35-56; Legerton, Historic Churches , pp. 72-73)



 

218 St. Philip St.

-- This frame house was built after 1849 by John H. Hartz, a grocer. From 1920 to 1929 it was the location of the Peoples Federation Bank, which was established by a group of black businessmen.
(Thomas, DYKYC, July 31, 1972)