IMAGE-- This double tenement was built sometime before 1788, when it was depicted on the "lchno graphy" (phoenix fire insurance map) of that year. As its appearance is very urban, it was built probably after the subdivision of the Glebe Lands in 1770. The builder has not been documented. ln the division of the Glebe Lands in 1797, the lot on which the double building stands was conveyed to St. Michael's Church which retained title until 1953. Eighty-seven Wentworth was remodeled in the late 19th century, with the half story being raised to a full story, but 89 Wentworth retains its original 18th century appearance. Unusual features include the jerkin-head roof and the rusticated arched entrance to the one-level piazza at 89 Wentworth. The structures share a common wall and common chimneys, & are partly built of Bermuda stone.
(Stockton, DYKYC, Aug. 16, 1976; Stoney, This is Charleston , p. 111)
IMAGE: ON RIGHT-- John S. Riggs built these two brick houses, along with 15, 17 and 19 St. Philip St., in 1859-60 as tenements. The ltalianate style building retains mantles, woodwork and plasterwork in the florid
style of the period. Riggs subsequently, in 1866, founded Charleston's first street car system. He live for many years in the Joseph Manigault House. (Stockton, DYKYC, Jan. 1, 1973, Dec. 30, 1974)
89 1/2 Wentworth St. c.1900
-- St. Michael's Church built this tiny one-story frame structure in 1900 for lease to Dr. Charles M. Rees, physician, as his office. The building replaced a one story brick building of about the same size, which had been occupied by James B. Dacosta a black cobbler, as his shop. The building is a type of vernacular structure which was once common in Charleston and is gradually becoming rarer.
(Stockton, DYKYC, May 5, 1980)
92 Wentworth St. c.1850
IMAGE-- This frame house was built c. 1850 on land leased from St. Philip's Church. lt formerly was turned lengthways, with the piazza facing the street. Jacob Knobeloch, a flour dealer who bought the property in
1881, turned the house sideways to the street and thoroughly remodeled the exterior, replacing the siding with German siding, adding a mansard roof with cast iron cresting, new piazza elements and entrance door. The interior, however, retains plasterwork and mantel typical of the 1850s. (Thomas, DYKYC, June 15, 1970)
97 Wentworth St. c.1830
IMAGE-- This two and one-half story brick house with sandstone window sills was built probably between 1830 and 1840 on land leased from St. Michael's Church, which retained ownership of the lot until 1945. The house varies from the single house plan by having an entrance on the street side and a side hall with adjoining first floor rooms. A twin formerly stood at 95 Wentworth.
(Thomas, DYKYC, March 2, 1970)
IMAGE: TOP OF PAGE--For further information, visit the Grace Church History web page by clicking here. To return to the Charleston Multimedia Project, click the BACK button on your browser.. Grace Protestant Episcopal Church was founded in 1846. The purpose of the founders was to establish a church in the center of Charleston; at the time Wentworth Street was in the center of the city. The initial 60 members worshiped in the College of Charleston chapel until the church was completed. Built in 1847-48, it was designed by architect Edward Brickell White, and is one of his most beautiful Gothic Revival buildings. E.W. Brown was the contractor. The church was closed in January 1864 due to the Federal bombardment of the city. A shell crushed one of the central columns and destroyed 12 pews. The church reopened in March 1865, the first and for some time the only Episcopal church open in the city. The rector, the Rev. Dr. Charles Cotesworth Pinckney, was ordered to pray for the President of the United States and Federal soldiers stood at attention in the aisle to enforce the order. Dr. Pinckney complied, stating, "l known of no one who needs praying for more than the President of the United States." The church was heavily damaged by the 1886 earthquake and repairs cost more than the original construction. Members of the congregation have included the late congressman L. Mendel Rivers.
(Ravenel, Architects , pp. 187, 191, 195; Legerton, Historic Churches , pp. 12-13; Way, Grace Church , passim)
99-105 Wentworth St. c.1910
IMAGE-- This row of late Victorian houses was built in 1910 by the Mutual Real Estate company as rental units. They are now part of the College of Charleston.
(Stockton, DYKYC, June 8, 1981)
107 Wentworth St. c.1858
IMAGE-- This house was built c. 1858 by William Johnson, dealer in grain, building materials and coal, on a lot leased by his family since 1771 from St. Philip's Church. The facade was rebuilt after the earthquake of 1886. According to family tradition, the Johnson women sat on the roof and prayed for Grace Church's steeple not to fall. ln 1890, the family purchased the lot from St. Philip's. lt was the home from 1873-1934, of Dr. William Henry Johnson, who started the orthopedic school at the Medical college and brought the first x-ray to Charleston. Dr. Johnson exercised by throwing an anvil about the yard and invented a pressure cooker which fitted to the radiator of his automobile. The property is now part of the College of Charleston.
(Thomas, DYKYC, n.d. ; SCHS)
112 Wentworth St. c.1885
IMAGE-- Two story stuccoed brick building was built as a store before 1888. lt is now part of the College of Charleston.
(Stockton, DYKYC, Sept. 1, 1975)
114 Wentworth St. c.1810
IMAGE-- This two and one-half story wooden building, dating from the early 19th century, was converted to a store during the Victorian period. lt was restored in 1975 by the College of Charleston as part of its campus.
(Stockton, DYKYC, Sept. 1, 1975)
IMAGE ON RIGHT: 120 Wentworth St.--IMAGE: 122 Wentworth --These two frame dwellings were built by John Burckmeyer, a butcher, sometime after he purchased the property in 1791 and before his death about 1811. He is listed as living in this part of Wentworth Street in the 1796 city directory. According to tradition, Burckmeyer lived at 122 Wentworth while 120 Wentworth was under construction. Both houses were built as two and one-half stories of wood on high brick basements and retain late 18th century features. Both, however, have been remodeled and expanded more than once. 120 Wentworth remained in Burckmeyer's family until 1830, while 122 Wentworth remained in the family until 1845.
(Thomas, DYKYC, May 11, 1970 & May 23, 1970)
IMAGE-- Henry Cobia, an auctioneer and commission merchant on Vendue Range, built this two story stuccoed brick ltalianate style house sometime after 1852. The interior has carved white marble mantels and elaborate plasterwork and woodwork.
(Thomas, DYKYC, May 2, 1970; Stockton, unpub. notes)
137 Wentworth St. c.1830
IMAGE-- Built speculatively by Alexander Black, this two story frame house was first occupied by Mrs Catherine Lopez, a "free woman of color," who purchased the property from Black in 1838. lt was sold from her estate in 1847.
(Stockton, DYKYC, July 28, 1980)
IMAGE: ON RIGHT-- This two story stuccoed brick dwelling house, in the Greek Revival style, was built c. 1840 by Edwin L. Kerrison, a founder of the dry goods business that evolved into the present Kerrison's department store. Kerrison advertised it for rent in 1842 stating it had been "recently built." lt has been speculated that the house was designed by architect Russell Warren of Rhode lsland. The Tower of the Wind columns of the portico, the row of heavy dentils under the roof and window details are similar to such features in the Shepard House in Providence, R.l., which was designed by Warren c. 1840. The front door is copied from Minard LeFevre's book on Greek Revival architecture. Water from the cistern was piped to various buildings; this was an early use of plumbing in Charleston, although it was common by the 1850s. The octagonal bathhouse in the rear is mentioned in the 1842 advertisement. From 1947 to 1970, the house was the headquarters of the Protestant Episcopal Diocese of South Carolina. Since 1970 it has been a private residence.
(Ravenel, Architects , pp. 154-157; Thomas, DYKYC, March 21, 1970)
144 Wentworth St. c.1780
IMAGE-- This two and one-half story frame house on a high brick basement is post-Revolutionary with simple but good Adamesque interior details. For many years it was the home of the Fleming family from whom descended Mary Jane Ross, who in 1922 placed the property in trust to a board of commissioners, to be used for charitable purposes and as a memorial to the services of Charleston women during World War I and the influenza epidemic of 1918.
(Thomas, DYKYC, June 24, 1968; DYKYC, Oct. 17, 1932;Stoney, This is Charleston , p. 111)
IMAGE-- Rodgers' Mansion. Charleston's best example of the Second Empire style, was built in 1885-87 by Francis Silas Rodgers, a wealthy cotton factor, phosphate manufacturer and coastwise shipper. His architect was Daniel G. Waynes. The Second Empire style, named for the reign of Emperor Napoleon lll of France, during which the mansard roof (a 16th century invention) was revived, was popular in the U.S. from the 1850s to the 1890s. The interior is elaborately finished in mahogany, oak and walnut, with tile floors and ornate plasterwork, marble mantels and crystal chandeliers which were designed for the house. Rodgers, a member of City Council and Chairman of the Board of Firemasters for 31 years, organized the city's first paid professional fire department. He liked to watch for fires from the cupola of his house and attended every fire in the city until shortly before his death. Cotton, a major source of his wealth, is memorialized in the bas-relief cornice over the front bay window which depicts cotton plants. After Rodgers' death, the building became the Scottish Rite Temple and the star of that order is set into the sidewalk at the front gate. The house has been the headquarters of Atlantic Coast Life lnsurance company since 1940.
(Stockton, DYKYC, April 21, 1975; Thomas, DYKYC, Oct 27, 1969; Rhett & Steele, pp. 68-69; Stoney, This is Charleston , p. 112)
150 Wentworth St.
-- The home of Christopher Gustavu Memminger, Secretary of the Treasury of the Confederacy and a leading supporter of public education and of railroad development, stood here until it was demolished in 1956. The large Greek Revival house remained in Memminger's family until 1936.
(N&C, April 15, 1936 & Oct. 18, 1956; Stoney, This is Charleston , p. 112)
151 Wentworth St. c.1849
-- The well-to-do merchant Benjamin D. Lazarus, member of a prominent Sephardic Jewish family, built this three story frame house on a high basement as his residence, c. 1849. Subsequently, it was the home of Henrietta Aiken Kelly, founder of the Charleston Female Seminary on St. Philip St. From 1882 to 1896, the building housed Miss Kelly and boarders of her "rigorous but genteel" academy. ln 1917, the building was converted to an apartment house, "The Clifton."
(Thomas, DYKYC, Sept. 27, 1971)
154 Wentworth St. c.1830
-- This residence was built about 1830 by Henry Muckenfuss (1766-1857) , a master mason. lt remained in his family until 1868. The two story stuccoed brick single house, with its long side facing the street, has simple Greek Revival details.
(Thomas, DYKYC, May 25, 1970)
156 Wentworth St. c.1851
-- This two and one half story stuccoed brick house was built c. 1851 by J.T. Sanders, a mason. The house was enlarged in 1910 by the then owner Archibald M.C.L. Martin, with plans drawn by architect John D. Newcomer, who probably redesigned the facade in a Gothic style about the same time.
(Thomas, DYKYC, April 18, 1970)
157 Wentworth St. c.1853
-- Mrs. Eleonora Wilkinson, mother-in-law of Christopher Gustavus Memminger, Confederate Secretary of the Treasury, built this Greek Revival brick house as her residence c. 1853. The town house plan features a hall on the east side and three rooms opening into each other, and out onto the piazza, on th west side. lt remained in her family until 1878. (Thomas, DYKYC, May 4, 1970)
IMAGE: ON RIGHT-- The rear portion of this house was a single house built before 1835 by Dr. Joseph Glove and Dr. Francis Porcher. ln 1863, it was purchased by John B.L. Lafitte, a commission merchant and shipper whose firm was closely associated with John Fraser & Co., blockade runners during the Civil War. As par of the U.S. Government's attempt to collect custom duties allegedly owed by the company on its greatly profitable activities during the war, this property, which Lafitte had mortgaged to the company, was sold in 1873 to Savage Deas Trenholm. lt remained in his family until 1889, when it was purchased by Carsten Wulbern, a wholesale groceries and provisions merchant. Wulbern expanded the single house into a mansion in the Victorian ltalianate style.
(Thomas, DYKYC, April 6, 1970 & March 29, 1971)
166 Wentworth St. c.1809
-- Job Palmer, a builder-carpenter who was born in Falmouth, Mass., but lived 73 of his 92 years in charleston, built this handsome three and one half story brick single house, on a raised basement c. 1809. The handsome piazza entrance and doors were found stored in the basement when, in the 1960s, the house was restored from apartments to a single family residence. The interior has a handsome stairway and other Adamesque architectural details.
(Thomas, DYKYC, March 9, 1970; Stoney, This is Charleston , p. 112)
169 Wentworth St. c.1837
-- This large frame house on a quite high basement was built c. 1837 as the residence of John Beaufain lrving, on land which then belonged to Elizabeth Corbett, a member of the Harleston family. Born in Jamaica of a family which previously had settled in South Carolina, Dr. lrving was a physician, Sheriff of Charleston District, a factor, assistant cashier of the Southwestern Railroad and for 30 years secretary of the South Carolina Jockey Club. He was the author of hn and uc Fr. He sold the property soon after purchasing it from Mrs. Corbett in 1840.
(Thomas, DYKYC, April 11, 1970; Stoney, This is Charleston , p. 112)
187 Wentworth St. c.1822
-- This two and one half story frame house on a high basement was built before 1822 by Richard Brennan, a merchant. Subsequently, it was the home of Thomas Lee, a U.S. District Judge. Originally at 56 Pitt St., the house was moved to this location in 1981.
(Stockton, DYKYC, Dec. 25, 1978; Mary A. Glass, N&C, July 17, 1981;Stoney, This is Charleston , p. 84)
212 Wentworth St. c.1803
-- This is one of several houses which were moved in 1981 from President Street, where they occupied a Medical University expansion site. Originally at 51 President St., this is apparently the oldest in the group. lt was built after 1803 by Henry Muckenfuss (1766-1857), a carpenter, as an investment. lt wsa originally a two or two and one-half story house and the third story was added in the latter half of the 19th century. The first two floors retain Federal architectural features, while the third has Greek Revival and ltalianate features.
(stockton, DYKYC, Feb. 2, 1981; N&C, June 1, 1981)
214 Wentworth St. c.1878
-- This two and one-half story frame single house was built at 69 President St. for Fannie A. Moseley, a Muckenfuss relation. Tax records describe it as new in 1878. As in the third floor of 212 Went worth, ltalianate and Greek Revival details are employed.
(Stockton, DYKYC, Feb. 2, 1981; N&C, June 1, 1981)
216 Wentworth St. c.1870
-- This two story frame single house, originally at 53 President St., was also built in the 1870s, by Benjamin S.D. Muckenfuss (son of Henry). lt retains mantels, wainscotting and other features typical of the period.
(Stockton, DYKYC, Feb. 2, 1981; N&C, June 1, 1981)
218 Wentworth St. c.1839
-- This two and one half story frame house stood at 63 President St. and was built c. 1839 for Barbara Quinnan. The main rooms have mantels with engaged columns, typical of that period. The half story extends over the piazza; this is an unusual feature although other examples exist.
(Stockton, DYKYC, Feb. 2, 1981; N&C, June 1, 1981)