One of the original streets of Cannonborough or Cannon's Lands, laid out by 1789. It was presumably named for Thomas Bee, an attorney, judge, member of the Revolutionary Council of Safety and of the South Carolina legislature, Lieutenant Governor and delegate to the Continental Congress.
(Plat Book C, 550, RMCO; Deeds, D6-531; Stoney, This is Charleston , p. 128-129; McCrady, 2:357, 373, 475, 481, 573, 793; Ravenel, Charleston, The Place and the People , p. 160, 200, 348; Wallace, p. 262)
12 Bee St
IMAGE: see above-- The brick double house, built in 1858 by a prosperous rice miller, has served as a maternity hospital and a ladies' home. The builder was William Robb, partner in the East Point Mills which stood at the foot of Laurens Street on Cooper River. Robb purchased the site in 1858 and is listed as living at the location in the 1859 city directory. Robb sold the property in 1875. In 1920, the property was purchased by Mercy Maternity Hospital. Mercy, the first facility of its kind in Charleston, represented a very modern medical concept at the time. In 1927, the property was given to the Church Home and Orphanage Corporation, which moved the Episcopal Church Home for Women from Ashley and Spring to this location, in 1929. The ltalianate mansion, with its three-tiered piazza bearing Doric and Ionic columns and a bracketted cornice, brick quoins and elaborate doorways, was rehabilitated in 1983-84 as apartments.
(Stockton, DYKYC, Jan. 27, 1975.)
24 Bee St.
-- Richard Teasdale, a prosperous merchant and planter, built this house c. 1838. It is two and one half stories of wood, with woodwork and plasterwork typical of the period, in the interior, and a piazza across the front. In the rear is a two story brick service wing with a cantilevered run.
(Stockton, "24 Bee Street," Preservation Progress , March, 1976)