IMAGE: TOP OF PAGE --Built c. 1817 by Richard Brenan, a merchant, this three and one-half story brick, stuccoed, on a brick basement, was subsequently the home of the related Haskell, Heyward and Middleton families. For a time, it was the home of Nathaniel Russell Middleton, President of the College of Charleston. lt became the parsonage of Bethel Methodist Church in 1881. ln 1971, it was rehabilibated as an office building by a private individual. The building has quoins, a coved cornice and a pediment on the west side, and fine Adamesque interiors.
(Stoney, DYKYC, Sept. 28, 1964. Thomas, DYKYC, June 21, 1971. Stoney, This is Charleston , 20. )
210-212 Calhoun St. c.1830
IMAGE -- Built c. 1830 by Bethel Methodist Church, this double residence housed the mlnister on one side and the presiding alder on the other. The piazzas were added.
(Stoney, DYKYC, Sept. 28, 1964.)
214 Calhoun St. c.1834
IMAGE--This Greek Revival, two story brick house on a high brick basement was built after 1834 by Frederic Shaffer, a prosperous building contractor. The house is reminiscent of houses in Beaufort, having a T-shaped plan with a central hall and a columned piazza across the front. It has unusually fine plasterwork and Greek Revival wood work in the interior. The house remained in Shaffer's family until 1885, when it was purchased by Isaac V. Bardin, a prosperous cotton merchant . During the ownership of the Bardin family, the house was connected with the unsolved slaying of Thomas Pinckney Jr. , a young attorney, in 1899. Pinckney was found across the street in the graveyard of Bethel Methodist Church, having been shot twice in the back, and died two days later without naming his killer. He was said to have been visiting a Miss Bardin on the night of the shooting. Closed hearings were held, no charges were filed and details of the case were never made public.
(Stockton, DYKYC, April 21, 1980. Thomas, DYKYC, March 20, 1972. Stoney, DYKYC, Sept. 28, 1964. Stoney, This is Charleston , 20. )
--This two and one-half story frame on a high brick basement was built c. 1840. It has the Roman Doric order in the piazza which stretches across the front of the house, which was probably built by Thomas Burnham but possibly by David Levy, a merchant who bought the property in 1842 . The property was bought in 1847 by Dr. Benjamin Huger, rice planter at Richmond Plantation on Cooper River. When the doctor's daughter, Eliza, married in 1851 Alfred Huger Dunkin (son of chancellor and Chief Justice Benjamin F. Dunkin), the house was a suitable residence for the Dunkins and their five children. One son, William Huger Dunkin, was superintendent of schools in Charleston, 1894-1900, then for 30 years was Clerk of Court. The house remained in the family until 1940.
(Margaretta Childs, unpub. MS. Stoney, DYKYC, Sept. 9, 1964. _______, This is Charleston , 20.. )
221 Calhoun St. c.1814
IMAGE -- Richard Holloway, a master carpenter and a leader of Charleston's free black community, built this two and one-half story wooden house sometime after purchasing the site in 1814, as an investment. Holloway also built the house around the corner at 96 Smith St., which is similar in style and construction. An unusual feature of the two houses is the piazza contained under the main roof. An early deed refers to a school house in the rear of 221 Calhoun.
(Stockton, DYKYC, March 7, 1977..)
--Old Bethel Methodist Church is the oldest structure of Methodism in the Lowcountry and possibly in South Carolina. lt is the third oldest church building in the city, with St. Michaels (175l-61) and the Unitarian Church (c. 1770) being older. Origlnally, the building stood on the southwest corner of Pitt and Calhoun streets. In 1852 the frame buildlng was moved to the west end of the church grounds and used there for class meetings of Bethel's black members, after the present brick church of Bethel Methodist was built. In 1880, the building was given to the black members and rolled across Calhoun Street to the present location. The congregation today includes descendants of the 1880 congregation. The church, built in 1797-98, was origlnally a plain meeting house, a simple rectangle in plan, finished with a classic cornice and front and rear gables. The portico with its four fluted columns was added after the building was moved to the present site. The columns have modified Tower of the Winds type capitals. The galleried interior is plainly finished, in the meeting house tradltion. Formerly, the church had a high pulpit with a sounding board. The present pulpit is said to have been used by Francis Asbury, the first Methodist bishop in the United States, on his visit to Charleston in 1798.
(Legerton, 46-47. Stockton, DYKYC, Dec. 22, 1980. National Register Nomination, Feb. 21, 1975 Stoney, This is Charleston , 20. )
239 Calhoun St. c.1885
IMAGE -- Alexander Lindstrom, a bookkeeper, built this house c. 1885 on a filled portion of Bennett's Mill Pond. The house conservatively follows the Charleston single house tradition. The two story wooden house ha Italianate style window cornices.
245 Calhoun St. c.1885
-- Benjamin F. McCabe, a local builder, erected this two story wooden house on a filled portion of Bennett's Mill Pond, c. 1885. (Stockton, unpub. notes.)
261 Calhoun St.
-- Franke Home. This Lutheran home for the aged has been on this site since 1908. It formerly occupied the Adger House, built c. 1857. The old house was demolished in 1971 and replaced by the present building.
267-275 Calhoun St. c.1910
IMAGE -- This row of Victorian residences was built 1910-12 on part of the filled Bennett's Mill Pond. 267 Calhoun was built by Levi C. Boland, a traveling salesman, on land purchased from the Calhoun Securities Com pany. The rest of the houses were built by the Calhoun Securities Co., which then sold them to indlvidual homeowners. The Halsey Lumber Co., which used the mill pond for its sawmills for many years, filled this portion of the pond in the early 1900s and sold the lots on the Calhoun Street side to the Calhoun Securities Co. in 1910. "Show-off" technology is demonstrated in the curve of the piazza at 267, with no columnar support at the corner, and in the two story bays at 269, 271 and 273 which have no visible support.
(Stockton, DYKYC, June 23, 1980.)
-- This large frame house in the Greek Revival style was built between 1838 and 1846 by Edward Sebring a native of New York and president of the state Bank of South Carolina. His bank built the Italianate building at 1 Broad St., c. 1853, and he built the building at 3 Broad in the same year. He razed an earlier house to build this mansion on the shore of Bennett's Mill Pond, which lay on the opposite side of Calhoun street. A painting of the Mill Pond by H. Jackson, shows the house in 1846. The two story wooden house on a high brick basement was, according to tradition, pillaged in 1865 by federal soldiers who took Sebring' s silver and broke two pier mirrors. In 1882, Sebring's widow sold the property to Charles Pons Aimar, whose descendants owned and lived in it for six generations . Tradition says that Sebring, during a period of abstinence, hid some wine in the house; it has been searched for, for more than a century, to no avail. On the main floor, the drawing room library and front hall open into each other by folding doors. The interior has handsome moldings and a curving stair. In the rear is a large brick outbuilding.
( Simmons, DYKYC, Feb. 16, 1948.)