IMAGE -- Built in 1839-4O by Jacob W. Cardozo, prominent Jewish journalist. A native of Savannah, Cardozo was the editor of the Southern Patriot , pub lished at Charleston from 1823 to 1845, and editor of the Charleston Evening News from 1845 to 1847. He was also a prominent member of Congregation Beth Elohim. Built on a high stuccoed brick basement, the house is two and one-half stories of wood with a gable roof.
(Stockton, DYKYC, March 3, 1980.)
IMAGE: TOP OF PAGE -- The Cathedral of St. Luke and St. Paul, the largest Episcopal church edifice in South Carolina, was built between 1811 and 1816 as St. Paul's Church (Radcliffeborough). The congregation was organized in 1810 and worshipped in the Huguenot Church until occupying this church. James and John Gordon were the architects and builders . They also designed and built the Second Presbyterian Church on Meeting Street, which this church resembles. The tower of St. Paul's was so weighty that the main walls began to split, so the tower was dismantled and the remaining portion later was capped with a Gothic Revival parapet. The cost of the church' s construction, and of repair of flaws which were discovered later, approached a quarter of a million dollars. The church was often referred to as "the planters' church" because it served a large number of planters who had suburban homes on the neck. During the Civil War, the church records and plate were sent to Columbia for safekeeping, and were lost in the burning of that city in 1865. During the Federal bombardment, the congregations of St. Michael's and St Philip's joined that of St. Paul's to worship in this church which was out of range of the Federal guns. The Rev. W.B.W. Howe, pastor of St. Philip's, was the pastor of the three congregations until 1865, when th occupying Federals banished him for refusing to pray for the United States President. Subsequently, Howe became Bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of South Carolina. ln 1949, St. Paul's merged with the congregation of St. Luke's Church (22 Elizabeth St.), and in 1963 the structure was designated the Cathedral Church of the Diocese of South Carolina. The interior is notable for its architectural beauty.
(Legerton, Historic Churches , 8-9. ; Thomas, The Episcopal Church , 241-246. ; Rogers, Charleston in the Age of the Pinckneys , 65. ; Stoney, This is Charleston , 36. ; Ravenel, Architects , 98-103. )
-- This Regency style house was built c. 1830 by William Wightman as a rental unit. The house has two and one-half stories of wood on a high brick basement, and marble steps to the piazza. Wightman, a jeweler and silversmith, was administrator of the estate of Anne Paul Emanuel Sigismond de Montmorency-Luxembourg, Duke of Luxembourg, in the famous Luxembourg claims against the State of South Carolina. (See 36 Chalmers.) A subsequent owner and occupant was Dr Maynard E. Carrere, a graduate of the Medical School of the University of Pennsylvania, who is credited with the successful use of acupuncture. During the Civil War, he was a surgeon in the Confederate hospital in Charleston.
(Stockton, DYKYC, Oct 9, 1972.)
189 Coming St. c.1750
IMAGE-- The Kahal Kadosh Beth Elohim Cemetery was originally the private burial ground of lsaac DaCosta, a Sephardic Jew who was Minister of Beth Elohim from 1750 to 1764. The property was transferred to the congregation Beth Elohim in 1764. lt is one of the country's most historic burial grounds, with graves dating back to 1762. Moses Cohen, Beth Elohim's first Rabbi, is buried here, along with Jews who served in the American Revolution and all subsequent America wars.
(Elzas, Jews of South Carolina , 34-35, 292. )