- St. Francis Xavier Hospital. The Sisters of Our Lady of Mercy have been ministering to the sick in Charleston since 1829. A Catholic hospital was established by the order in 1868, and in 1882 they built an infirmary on Calhoun Street. lt was replaced in 1926 by a masonry building which is now the rear wing of the hospital, as is a wing added in 1942. St. Francis Nursing School opened in 1900 in a building which was demolished to make room for the present main hospital building. ln 1949, a new building for the nursing school and home was built at Ashley Avenue and Mill street.
(Charleston Grows , p. 187; Whitelaw & Levkoff, pp. 100-101)
156 Rutledge Ave. c.1808
IMAGE-- This two and one-half story frame single house is believed to date from c. 1808. For many years it was the home of William Johnson, U.S. Supreme Court Justice. Born in 1771 at the family plantation at Goose Creek, Johnson served in the S.C House of Representatives and was elected to the S.C Court of Common Pleas, serving until 1804, when Thomas Jefferson appointed him to the Supreme Court.
(Thomas, N&C, June 3, 1968)
IMAGE: TOP OF PAGE-- Ashley Hall School. Built c. 1816 by Patrick Duncan, this Regency villa was, according to tradition, designed by an English architect. lt is similar to the work of William Jay in Savannah. After 1838, it was the home of James R. Pringle, Speaker of the S.C. House and customs collector. lt was later owned by George A. Trenholm, wealthy shipping merchant, owner of Civil War blockade runners, and Confederate Secretary of the Treasury. From 1870 to 1907, it was the home of Charles O'Witte, the German consul. ln 1909, Miss Mary Vardrine McBee established the school.
(Smith & Smith, Dwelling Houses , pp. 332-333; Charleston Grows , pp. 285-286; Rhett & Steele, pp. 86-87; Ravenel, Architects , p. 115; Stockton, DYKYC, Oct. 17, 1977; Nepveux, George Alfred Trenholm , pp. 7-9; Stoney, This Is Charleston , p. 91)
-- Designed by architects Abrahams & Seyle this substantial brick house took 11 years to complete and was described as "the most carefully built house in the city." Construction was begun in 1876 by Edmonds T. Brown, a prominent Charleston wholesale hat merchant, and completed under the ownership of George A. Wagener, a local grocery wholesaler and phosphate industrialist. The time lapse in construction and the taste of two owners is apparent in that the exterior architecture is rather conservative, in the Charleston taste of the 1870s, while the interior has high Victorian features of the 1880s. lt was later the home of Wagener's daughter and son-in-law, Dr. Harrison Randolph, President of the College of Charleston.
(Stockton, DYKYC, Aug. 31, 1981; Stoney, This is Charleston , p. 91)
182 Rutledge Ave. c.1945
IMAGE -- Brith Sholom Beth lsrael congregation. Brith Sholom Orthodox Jewish congregation was organized in 1854 and dedicated a synagogue in 1875 at St. Philip and Calhoun streets. A group of members left in 1911 and formed Beth lsrael Congregation. ln 1945, the present synagogue was built by Beth lsrael. ln 1955, the two congregations merged as Brith Sholom Beth lsrael . The synagogue was enlarged and the beautiful Classic Revival interior of the old Brith Sholom sanctuary was rebuilt inside this structure. The remodeled synagogue was dedicated in 1956. The Addlestone Hebrew Academy was housed on the premises.
(Legerton, Historic Churches , pp. 140-141)
-- Daniel Cannon, sawmill owner and builder and developer of Cannonborough, gave the site of this house in trust for his niece, Sarah Peronneau Webb, in 1798. The house, possibly constructed by Cannon himself, is believed to date from around that time.
(Thomas, DYKYC, March 6, 1972; Stoney, This is Charleston , p. 91)
554 Rutledge Ave.
-- Rutledge Avenue Baptist Church was organized in 1892 as the Cannon Street Baptist Church. lt moved to this location with a new name in 1918.
(Legerton, Historic Churches , pp. 120-121)
570 Rutledge Ave. c.1931
IMAGE -- Salem Baptist Church. This Gothic Revival building, built in 1931, was formerly St. Peter's Episcopal Church. St. Peter's, which combined the congregations of old St. Peter's on Logan Street (burned in 1861 fire), and Christ Church, Charleston, built a new church at 1393 Miles Drive in the 1970s. Salem Baptist Church was organized in 1867 in a house in St. Michael's Alley and built a church on Line Street in 1912. The congregation moved here in the 1970s.
(Legerton, Historic Churches , pp. 126-127, 132-133)
Noisette's Rose Farm was halfway between present-day Grove and Mount Pleasant streets. Noisette, a French horticulturist, developed tea-roses which were considered the finest, and were in catalogs of outstanding rose growers. They included the Marechal Heil, Paul Neyron Devoniensis and Cloth of Gold.
(DYKYC, Feb. 23, 1948)
656 Rutledge Ave. c.1921
IMAGE-- St. Barnabas Lutheran church was founded in 1883 at America Street and Hampstead Mall as a mission of St. John's. ln 1921, the congregation moved to the present brick church.
(Legerton, Historic Churches , pp. 142-143)
-- Lowndes' Grove Plantation House. The Grove Plantation was developed about the middle of the 18th century by John Gibbes. His plantation house with its large garden of exotic plants was destroyed during the Siege of Charleston by the British in 1780. lt stood some distance to the southwest of the present house, which was built before 1790 by George Abbott Hall. The house was remodeled in the Adamesque style after 1804 when it was acquired by Congressman William Lowndes. The front piazza, with the Gothic Revival arches on the ground level, was added c. 1830 by the Rose family. Later this was the home of Capt. Frederick W. Wagener who kept a private racetrack on the plantation and allowed the property to be used by the South Carolina lnterState and West lndian Exposition in 1901-02. The house was used as the Women's Building by the Daughters of the American Revolution and the Colonial Dames, who served Summerville tea. President Theodore Roosevelt had dinner here, on his visit to the Exposition. The Wagener Farm was acquired in 1917 by James Sottile who developed it into building lots and streets , leaving the Grove House with an entire block of grounds.
(Stockton, unpub. MS.;--- DYKYC, Aug. 25, 1975; Smith, "Charleston and Charleston Neck," p. 15; Whitelaw & Levkoff, p. 139)