Named for Benjamin Smith, Speaker of the Commons House of Assembly, Smith Street was one of the streets of Harleston, laid out in 1770. Until 1849, Smith Street terminated at Beaufain Street. ln July 1849, the committee on City Lands had the street extended south through the city marsh lands to Queen Street.
(Rogers, Charleston in the Age of the Pinckneys , p. 61; "Streets of Charleston"; CEO Plats, 77: City Archives)
34 Smith St. c.1855
--This ltalian villa was built c. 1855 for George Robertson, who also built the similar house at 1 Meeting St. Robertson was a wealthy merchant of Scotch origin. He and his wife, Lucy, left the property to their niece, Anna lngraham Pickens, wife of Samuel B. Pickens (1839-91) . A member of a family notable in South Carolina history since the Revolution, Pickens was born in Pendleton and was a member of The Citadel Class of 1861, and of the cadet unit which fired the first shots of the Civil War, two warning shots at the Federal supply ship Star of the West, to prevent it from relieving Fort Sumter. Cadet G.E Haynsworth fired the first shot; Cadet Pickens fired the second. After the war Pickens worked for the South Carolina Railroad and was a rice planter on the Cooper River. After 1902, this was the home of Julius Jahnz, a prominent businessman and banker who, as chairman of the Commissioners of Public Works, was instrumental in diverting the Edisto River to supply the city water system.
(Thomas, DYKYC, March 7, 1970)
59 Smith St. c.1818
-- Capt. Joseph Jenkins of Brick House Plantation bought two large lots in 1818 and built this large single house as his town residence. Built for the climate, the house has high ceilings, from the brick basement upward. Rooms have windows on three sides to give cross ventilation and piazzas along the south and west sides add to the requisites of comfort. Between the Civil War and the turn of the century, five other residences were built on the Jenkins lot.
(Stoney, N&C, June 6, 1964; Stoney, This Is Charleston , p. 93)
94 Smith St. c.1814
--Built between 1814 and 1822, as an investment, by Morris Brown, this is a plain but nicely finished frame single house. Brown, a free black man, was a founder of the African Methodist Episcopal (A.M.E.) church in Charleston. In 1822, he was compelled to leave South Carolina because of tbe authorities' suspicion (never proved) that the A.M.E. Church was involved in the alleged Vesey plot. Brown went to Philadelphia and subsequently became an A.M.E. bishop. He sold this property in 1829. While in Charleston, Brown lived at the corner of Wentworth and Anson streets.
(Stockton, DYKYC, March 7, 1977)
96 Smith St. c.1822
-- This small frame single house was built by Richard Holloway, a free black master carpenter, between 1822 and 1830. lt is similar to the house at 221 Calhoun St., which was also built by Holloway. Both were built as investments by Holloway, who at his death in 1843 had accumulated some 20 houses. Distinctive features of these houses are the Palladian windows in the front gables and the piazzas under the main roofs.
(Stockton, DYKYC, March 7, 1977)
109 Smith St. c.1880
-- This small frame single house was built after 1880 for Julia Ann Ruledge Kiett, wife of Wad H. Kiett, a black school teacher.
(Stockton, DYKYC, July 18, 1978)
121 Smith St. -- David Riker, a real estate developer, built this two and one-half story single house of wood on a high brick basement, between 1853 and 1854.
(Stockton, DYKYC, May 18, 1981)
134 Smith St. c.1855
-- This large masonry house was built between 1855 and 1859 by John Bickley as a rental unit, since Bickley continued to live at 64 Vanderhorst St. The first known occupant was Col. John Cunningham, an attorney. Although it was converted to apartments in the 1920s with incompatible additions, the house retains much of the original interior detail in the florid style of the late 1850s.
(Stockton, unpub. MS.;--- DYKYC, Jan. 24, 1977; Thomas, DYKYC, Jan. 27, 1969)