IMAGE: SEE ABOVE-- This tall house, two stories of wood on a high, stuccoed brick basement, was built probably soon after 1832, when the site was purchased by Jame Legare. ln 1856 the property was sold to Robert Barnwell Rhett, state legislator and Attorney General, Congressman and U.S. Senator. For his strong state rights stand and his advocacy of an independent Southern confederacy, he became known as the "pathe of secession." It was also the home of Robert Barnwell Rhett, Jr. , editor of the very pro-secession , and later of the New Orleans and of the , and a state legislator. The Rhetts sold the house in 186 to George Alfred Trenholm, who kept it until 1866. Trenholm was a wealthy shipping merchant whose vessels became blockade runners during the Civil War. Tradition relates that during the War a young lady of the house said goodbye to her fiancee at the west gate on the Vanderhorst Street side. She promised the gate would remain shut until he returned. He was killed in the war and, according to tradition, the gate has remained shut ever since. The house is Greek Revival , with flanking bays.
(Thomas, DYKYC, Dec. 23, 1968)
12 Thomas St. c.1836
-- James Legare also built this three story frame, Greek Revival house, after purchasing the site in November 1836. Legare was a well-to-do planter and a cotton factor in partnership with John Colcock. He built this house as his residence but later moved to Broad & Logan streets. (Thomas, DYKYC, June 12, 1970)
13 Thomas St. c.1823
IMAGE -- Built between 1823 and 1828 by Benjamin Faneuil Dunkin, Chancellor of the Equity Court of Appeals, this is one of the oldest houses in Radcliffeborough. Dunkin evidently built this house as an investment as he built his larger residence at 89 Warren St. during the same period. Both are in the Regency style.
(Stockton, N&C, Oct. 25, 1973; Stoney, This Is Charleston , p. 99)
14 Thomas St. c.1875
IMAGE-- St. Mark's Protestant Episcopal Church, a chaste example of the Greek Revival, shows the persistence of interest in the style after the Civil War. Erected in 1875-78, the wooden structure has served Black congregations for more than a century. The congregation was organized in 1865, meeting first at the Orphan House Chapel in Vanderhorst Street, before purchasing this site in 1875. Louis J. Barbot, a prominent local architect, designed the structure which was built by the Devereux Brothers, one of the city's largest contracting firms, at a cost of about $15,000. The Rev. A. Toomer Porter, founder of Porter Military Academy, was the rector for many years. The interior, which is similar in some respects to his Church of the Holy Communion, shows Porter's taste for "High church" influences.
(Legerton, Historic Churches , pp. 14-15; Stockton, DYKYC March 31, 1980; Stoney, This Is Charleston , p. 99)
15 Thomas St. c.1839
IMAGE-- Samuel S. Mills built this two story frame house between 1839 and 1842. His brother-in-law, Lawrence A. Edmondston, built an identical house at 8 Warren St. The two houses have many features familiar in houses in New England, which is no accident, because Mills and his family were from Massachusetts. These features include the shiplap board facing, lonic pilasters at the corners, broad cornice and recessed entrance. The house has four chimneys, brought together on arches in the attic, so that only two chimney stack come through the roof.
(Thomas, DYKYC, Dec. 16, 1968)