Vanderhorst Street is named for Arnoldus Vanderhorst, the second lntendant of Charleston. The street is unnamed in a plat dated 1786 of the Radcliffe lands. The portion from King to St. Philip was first known as Bond Street. The first documented date for Vanderhorst Street was 1793. There is some debate about the correct pronunciation, with some contending it is "VAUDROSS." Many older Charlestonians, however, pronounce all three syllables as spelled.
("Streets of Charleston"; Stockton, unpub. notes)
IMAGE: ON RIGHT-- This dwelling was probably built soon after 1855 by Walter Steele, a King Street hat merchant He sold the property with the house on it in 1858 to Charles H. Simonton, the distinguished lawyer, judge and Confederate hero. Simonton sold it in 1872 to the Knobeloch family, who retained it for several generations. lt was the home of Gustave J. Knobeloch, a member of city council and the S.C. House of Representatives. More recently, it was the home of the late city councilman Harry von Glahn Butt. The house has an L-shaped plan and shows the high vitality of the 1850s, when the classical was beginning to blend with the first signs of Victorian taste. The deep front piazza has lonic columns on the first level and Corinthian capitals of the Tower of the Winds variety on the second.
(Thomas, DYKYC, Feb. 3, 1969, and Dec. 9, 1968; Stoney, This is Charleston , p. 107.)
12 Vanderhorst St. c.1888
IMAGE-- lrish volunteers Armory. The lrish Volunteers were an active militia unit organized in 1798. The unit served in the War of 1812, the Seminole War of 1836 and the Civil War. According to tradition, the unit was the first to enlist for the duration of the Civil War. The volunteers were reogranized in 187 and erected this building in 1888-89. The unit was disbanded after World War l, when its function was taken over by the National Guard.
(Stockton, unpub. MS.)
13 Vanderhorst St.--Site of the Charleston Orphan House chapel, built c. 1802 and designed by Gabriel Manigault, it was demolished in 1953 for a parking lot.
(Ravenel, Architects , p. 59; Whitelaw & Levkoff, p. 78; Stoney, This is Charleston , p. 108)
IMAGE: TOP OF PAGE-- John Bickley purchased the site of this house in 1824 and placed the property, with the house on it, in trust for his wife the former Mary Desel, in 1826. Bickley was a lumber factor with the firm of Bickley & Glover and planted rice at Woodstock Plantation on the headwaters of Goose Creek. The house is in the Regency style with richly decorated interior woodwork and plasterwork. The gable-roofed and pedimented brick house has piazzas on three sides, reflecting its former semi-rural situation near Coming's Creek.
(Thomas, DYKYC, Jan. 6, 1969; Stoney, This is Charleston , p. 108)