Bedon's Alley was in existence by 1704, when it appeared, unnamed, on the Crisp Map. The "lchnography" of 1739 identifies it as Middle Lane. Deeds as early as 1733, however, refer to it as Beadon's or Bedon's Street or Alley. It was named for George Beadon (Bedon) , a merchant who owned land in the little street. The fires of 1740 and 1778 swept through the alley, presumably destroying all structures.
(Deeds, W-118, L-276; Year Book, 1880 , p. 302-303)
2 Bedon's Alley c.1780
-- Humphrey Sommers, a sub-contractor of St Michael's Church, built the row of tenements now know as 2 Bedon's Alley and 14-16 Tradd St., sometime between the great fire of 1778 and the writing of his will in December, 1788. The trio of tenements are mentioned in the will, which also provided for the building of a fourth tenement on the then vacant lot now known as 12 Tradd. The corner tenement of the three story brick range, now known as 2 Bedon's Alley and in 1788 occupied by James Gregorie as a store and residence, was bequeathed to his daughter Ann Olney Sommers. Previously on the site was the residence of Joseph Boone, according to the Crisp Map of 1704. The site had been the back portion of Town Lot No. 7 of the Grand Modell, granted originally to Rich ard Tradd, who in 1688 sold this portion to William Dunlap and John Alexander. Alexander purchased Dunlap's interest in 1697 and by his will dated 1699, devised the property to his widow, Mrs. Ann Alexander, and his daughter by the same name. The widow Alexander then married Joseph Boone, who purchased the daughter's interest. The widow Alexander was a daughter of Landgrave Daniel Axtell. As the widow Boone, she built, after the great fire of 1740, the Georgian residence now known as 47 East Bay St.
(Stockton, DYKYC, Nov. 3,1975.; Smith & Smith, Dwelling Houses , p. 161-162; Stoney, This is Charleston , p. 101)
5 Bedon's Alley c.1779
-- William Cunnington's house is unusual in that it was constructed during the Revolution. lt was built in 1779, of bricks made by a local brickmaker name Moore, whose product was considered worth mentioning in an advertisement for sale of the property in 1784. Capt. Anthony Toomer, a noted local builder, was the contractor. Cunnington, who immigrated from England to South Carolina about the time of the Revolution, owned Magnolia Umbra Plantation, parts of which are now Magnolia and St. Lawrence cemeteries. Cunnington built a single house two bays wide, with his counting room in the front room on the first floor, having a separate entrance on Bedon's Alley. George Whitfield, who purchased the property in 1794, added the three story brick wing on the south side and redecorated the house in the then popular Adamesque style. He retained the property until 1820, by which time he was living in England. William Doran, owner of a stevedoring business, and his descendants retained the property from 1857 to 1980. During the bombardment of the city by Federal guns during the Civil War, Doran opened the house to refugees, as it has thick walls. On one occasion during that time, according to tradition, Duran was reaching for a match on the dining room mantel to light someone's pipe, when a cannon ball took off his arm. For years afterward, he was teased: "Generous old William Doran, ask for a light and he gives you his arm!"
(Stockton, DYKYC, April 7, 1980)