Home About Us Catalog Borrowing Services Resources Programs & Events Locations

Limehouse Street

Photo: 9 Limehouse St. c.1856

Limehouse Street is named for the Limehouse family, through whose land the street was cut. (Stockton, unpub. notes)

3 & 5 Limehouse St. c.1885
IMAGE: 3 Limehouse St.
 -- IMAGE: 5 Limehouse St. -- These are two of five houses which S. J. L. Williams contracted with W. F. Carter, a builder from Savannah, to build in 1885. Carter had come to Charleston as the contractor for the New Brighton Hotel on Sullivan's lsland, and remained in the city. The other three houses are 155, 157 and 159 Tradd St. All are two and one-half stories of wood and have distinctive piazza entrance hoods with small collonettes. Five Limehouse and 157 Tradd have been altered; the others retain their original exterior appearance. (Stockton, unpub. notes)

7 Limehouse St. c.1830
-- This small two and one-half story brick house is believed to have been built c. 1830 by Robert Limehouse.

9 & 10 Limehouse St.
IMAGES: TOP OF PAGE AND ON RIGHT -- These two similar houses were built by William Pinckney Shingler, planter and cotton broker. He built No. 9 about 1856 and sold it the next year because of business reverses. He recouped his fortune, however, in time to begin building No. 10 about 1858. Both have lavish interior detail in the ltalianate taste of the time. (lsabella Leland, DYKYC, Feb. 24, 1958; Ann W. Dibble, DYKYC, Feb. 11, 1974; Burton, unpub. notes)

18 Limehouse St. c.1852
-- This two story frame house was originally the last house on the east side of Limehouse Street and overlooked the Ashley River. A tabby sea wall, now landbound by several blocks, runs along the south line of the property and extends eastward to Greenhill Street. ln 1852, Optimus E. Hughes bought this site from the Limehouse family and built a three story gable roofed wooden house. Subsequently, the house was reduced to two stories and a parapet roof with a bracketted ltalianate cornice was added. (Stockton, DYKYC, Jan. 21, 1980.)