Home About Us Catalog Borrowing Services Resources Programs & Events Locations





Meeting Street (1-42)

Photo: 7 Meeting Street c.1785

Meeting Street was one of the "great streets" laid out according to Lord Shaftesbury's instructions about 1672. Meeting Street takes its name from the White Meeting House of the lndependents or Congregationalists. Before that name was adopted, the street was usually described in terms of its course, such as: "The Great Street that Runneth from Ashley River to the Market." While St. Philip's Church was briefly (in terms of its history) where St. Michael's now stands, the street was sometimes called Church Street, and after St. Philip's moved, was called Old Church Street. ("Streets of Charleston;" Stoney, N&C, April 6, 1958; Rogers, Charleston in the Age of the Pinckneys, p. 56.)


1 Meeting St. c.1846
IMAGE
-- This notable, three story brick building on a high brick basement was built c. 1846 by George Robertson, a cotton broker. lt was formerly the Ross Museum, housing the art collections of the Ross family. The collections and house were sold, with proceeds going to the Charleston Library Society and the South Carolina Medical Society, after a prolonged suit to settle the estate of Miss Mary Jane Ross. The house is in the ltalianate style popular in the city in the 1840s and '50s. (Smith & Smith, Dwelling Houses, pp. 192-195; Stockton DYKYC, June 9, 1975.)

2 Meeting St. c.1892
IMAGE
-- This outstanding Queen Anne style house was built in 1892 for Waring P. Carrington and his wife, Martha, a daughter of George W. Williams, the wealthy banker who lived at 16 Meeting St. Tradition says Williams placed $75,000 on a satin pillow as a wedding present, and the Carringtons built the house with the money. Carrington was a wealthy jeweler on King Street. (Stockton, DYKYC, April 24, 1978; Rhett & Steele, pp. 10-11.)

7 Meeting St. Josiah Smith House c.1785
IMAGE -- Josiah Smith, a prosperous merchant, built this house sometime before 1788, when it appears on the fire insurance map of that year. The house is two and one-half stories of wood, on a brick foundation, with a hipped roof and cupola. The walls are insulated with brick between the framing timbers. A simple pediment with a round window points up the street facade which is embellished by a semi-circular porch. Josiah Smith was arrested by the British in 1780, and along with other prominent citizens exiled to St. Augustine. After the Revolution, he returned to being a merchant, and was also a banker. He sold this house in 1800 to Wilson Glover. (Stockton, DYKYC, Aug. 11, 1975; Smith & Smith, Dwelling Houses, pp. 195-197; "'Historical Notes," SCHGM. )

8 Meeting St. Tucker-Ladson House c.1783
Tucker-Ladson House. The oldest part of the house, the rear part, appears to have been built by 1783 by Capt. Thomas Tucker, a merchant, shipowner and captain and a political and military leader of the Revolutionary period. The property was purchased in 1806 by Abraham Crouch, who may have added some Adamesque details, and purchased in 1821 by James Henry Ladson, a factor and planter, who enlarged the house by adding the front portion, giving it the appearance of a three story Regency period town house. The property remained in Ladson's family until 1961. (Stockton, unpub. MS; Stoney, This is Charleston, p. 71.)

11 Meeting St. c.1850
IMAGE 
-- This large stuccoed brick house in the ltalianate style was built by William C. Courtney between 1850 and 1860. lt occupies the two middle parts of Town Lot No. 117 of the Grand Modell, which was enlarged at the back by Josiah Smith of 7 Meeting, who filled in marshlands between Meeting and King Streets. (Smith & Smith, Dwelling Houses, p. 196.)

15 Meeting St. c.1770
IMAGE
-- John Edwards is said to have built and moved into this house in 1770. He was a member of Rutledge's Privy Council in 1779, and took an active part in the events of the Revolution. At the fall of Charlestown in 1780, he was imprisoned and with more than 60 others exiled to St. Augustine. During the British occupation, according to Maj. Garden, the commander of the British fleet, Admiral Arbuthnot, was quartered here. Later, John B. Holmes, the step son and son-in-iaw of Edwards, sheltered the family of the Comte de Grasse (commander of the French fleet which aided the U.S. in 1783) when they were refugees from the Santo Domingan Revolution in 1793, according to another tradition. Edwards built his house of cypress on a brick basement, with the boards of the facade cut and beveled to resemble stone blocks, and the stuccoed basement given the same treatment, in order to make a more impressive facade. The Corinthian columned portico has a double flight of steps. The interior details, in the Georgian style, rank among the best in the city. The large semicircular piazza on the south side was added by George W. Williams, Jr., banker (son of George B. Williams of 16 Meeting), according to tradition to accommodate all children from the Charleston Orphan House for ice cream parties. Williams also improved the garden to the south, with its outstanding gingko trees. (Stockton, unpub. MS; DYKYC, July 13, 1981; Rhett & Steele, pp. 14-15; Smith & Smith, Dwelling Houses, p. 196, 199-206; Stoney, This is Charleston, p. 71; N&C, April 6, 1958; Deas, pp. 52-55, 82-83.)

16 Meeting St. Calhoun Mansion c.1876
IMAGE: ON RIGHT -- Photo by Ron Anton Rocz -- Calhoun Mansion. This is considered one of the most important Victorian mansions on the Eastern Seaboard. lt was completed c. 1876 by George W. Williams, a wealthy banker and merchant, who engaged William P. Russell of Charleston as the architect. Williams achieved great success as a merchant before the Civil War, and came through the war with more than $1 million in capital, with which he resumed business and opened a banking house. Later, he founded the Carolina Savings Bank at 1 Broad St. His mansion, on which he apparently spared no expense, has about 25 rooms and with 24,000 square feet of floor space (including the attic) is the largest building in the city constructed as a single residence. The house has 14 foot ceilings, elaborate plaster and woodwork, a stairwell that reaches to a 75 feet high domed ceiling, and a ballroom with a coved glass skylight that is 45 feet high. After Williams' death, the property was acquired by his son-in-law, Patrick Calhoun, a grandson of John C. Calhoun, the "Great Nullifier." After World War l, the house became a hotel, known as the Calhoun Mansion. lt has been restored and is open to the public as a museum. (Stockton, DYKYC, April 7, 1975; lseley & Cauthen, Charleston lnteriors, pp. 26-27; Mazyck & Waddell, illus. p. 72; Mazyck, Charleston Illustrated, p. 145.)

17 Meeting St.
IMAGE


18 Meeting St. Thomas Heyward House c.1803
IMAGE
 -- This three story brick house was built by Nathaniel Heyward before 1803 or by his brother Thomas Heyward (signer of the Declaration of lndependence) after 1803. The single house has brick quoining on the exterior and Adamesque details in the interior. The second floor has a secret room which apparently was a wine closet. The house was also the home of James Adger (d. 1858), who operated the first coastal steamship line in the U.S., and of his son-in-law, the Rev. Thomas Smyth, minister of the Second Presbyterian Church and a noted theologian of his time. (Stockton, DYKYC, March 6, 1978; Stoney, This is Charleston, p. 71; N&C, April 6, 1958; Leland, DYKYC, Feb. 17, 1958.)

21 Meeting St.
IMAGE


23 Meeting St. c.1750
IMAGE 
-- This three and one-half story single house is believed to have been built c. 1750 by Albert Detmar. (Stoney, This is Charleston, p. 71; N&C, April 6, 1958.)

25 Meeting St. c.1750
IMAGE 
-- A three and one-half story stuccoed brick single house, this is believed to have been built c. 1750 by William Hull. (Stoney, This is Charleston, p. 71; N&C, April 6, 1958.)

26 Meeting St. c.1822
IMAGE
 -- This three story stuccoed brick, Regency style structure was built c. 1822 by William Mason Smith, son of the Rt. Rev. Robert Smith, South Carolina's first Episcopal bishop. It was designed by architect William Jay of Bath, England, who came to Charleston by way of Savannah. The designer, to make a formal facade, masked the piazza with a screen of masonry, with windows. The three tiers of the piazza have the "correct" sequence of orders: Doric, Ionic, Corinthian. The interior has a curving stair. (Ravenel, Architects, p. 115; Smith & Smith, Dwelling Houses, p. 204; Stoney, This is Charleston, p. 72; N&C, April 6, 1958; Stoney, Charleston's Historic Houses.)

27 Meeting St. c.1780
IMAGE 
-- This three story stuccoed brick house on high brick basement is presumed to have been built after the Revolution. The cast iron gates to the yard were added in the 20th century. (Stoney, This is Charleston, p. 72; N&C, April 6, 1958.)

30 Meeting St. Isaac Motte House c.1769
IMAGE: ON RIGHT -- The site of this house was purchased in 1769 by Thomas Young, who sold it the following year to Col. lsaac Motte, a planter. Tradition says Young began construction of this house and sold it uncompleted to Motte, who completed it. Col. Motte was commissioned in the Royal American Regiment in 1756. In 1775 he was made a lieutenant colonel of Moultrie's Regiment, an became colonel when Moultrie was promoted to general. ln 1779 he was a Privy Councilor and in 1780 was a delegate to the Continental Congress. Tradition say that the Hessian mercenaries of the British had their headquarters here during the British occupation, and that some Hessian soldiers hid in the chimneys in 1782 to avoid being evacuated with the British. (Smith & Smith, Dwelling Houses,  p. 49, 74; Stoney, This is Charleston, p. 72; N&C, April 14, 1948 & April 8, 1949.)

31 Meeting St. James Ladson House c.1792
IMAGE
 -- This house was built c. 1792 by Major James Ladson (1753-1812), an officer of the Continental Line during the Revolution, state representative and senator and a delegate to the South Carolina convention to ratify the Federal Constitution. The house was remodeled in the 1840s by Erastus M. Beach, who changed the entrance from the Ladson Street side to the piazza entrance facing Meeting Street. Christopher P. Poppenheim, a planter and King Street hardware merchant, acquired the property in 1877 and the garden was improved by his wife. The fountain is a duplicate of one in the Kaiserhoff garden at Bad Hauheim, Germany. (Jack Leland, CEP, Aug. 8, 1968; Nielsen, DYKYC, Feb. 3, 1936.)

32 Meeting St.
IMAGE


34 Meeting St. Daniel Elliot Huger House c.1768
IMAGE 
-- Known familiarly as the Daniel Elliot Huger House, this Georgian mansion was built by a member of the Bull family. Capt. John Bull bought the lot, which then extended from Church to Meeting, in 1759. There was on the Church Street end a house built by the lndian trader George Eveleigh (39 Church). The present house was built by Capt. Bull before his death in 1768, by his widow Mary Bull before her death in 1771 or by their granddaughter, Mrs. Elizabeth Blake, after 1771. ln 1775 Mrs. Blake's cousin Sarah lzard and her husband, Lord William Campbell, son and brother to the Dukes of Argyle, and Royal Governor of South Carolina, occupied the house. Lord William had the misfortune to arrive in South Carolina after the rebellious province had begun to govern itself, and instead of the usual fanfare which traditionally greeted arriving Royal Governors, he was met with "sullen silence." Three months after he came, he had to slip away from his home through the rear water entrance on Vanderhorst Creek and take refuge on the HMS Tamar, anchored at Rebellion Road. William Elliott Huger, a noted South Carolina legislator and jurist, purchased the house in 1818. Francis Kinloch Huger, who in 1794 had tried unsuccessfully to rescue Lafayette from the Castle of Olmutz, was nearly killed on the front steps when part of the masonry ornamentation fell and fractured his skull. He lived, however, to welcome Lafayette to the city in 1825. Less lucky was a young English visitor in 1886, when the earthquake of that year caused part of the parapet to fall on him. The house was injured by the Federal bombardment, 1863-65, and looted and vandalized by Federal troops in 1865. The house retains handsome paneling and other woodwork, and ornamented ceilings similar to those in the Miles Brewton House, 27 King St. The property continues to be owned by the Huger family. (Smith & Smith, Dwelling Houses, pp. 77-85; Stoney, This is Charleston, p. 72; N&C, April 16, 1958; Stockton, DYKYC, date; Smith & Smith, Charles Fraser; Iseley & Cauthen; Rogers, Charleston in the Age of the Pinckneys.)

35 Meeting St. William Bull House c.1720
IMAGE: ON RIGHT -- This stuccoed brick house is believed to have been built c. 1720 by the first Lt. Gov. William Bull (d. 1755). His son William was the first native South Carolinian to receive a medical degree (Leyden University) and was also Lieutenant Governor (under Lord Campbell), and lived here. (Rogers, Charleston in the Age of the Pinckneys; Fraser, Reminiscences; Smith & Smith, Dwelling Houses )

36 Meeting St.
IMAGE 
-- Under the mid-19th century Greek Revival parapet is a three story 18th century house with fine Georgian interior features. (Stoney, This is Charleston, p. 73.)

37 Meeting St. c.1775
IMAGE: ON RIGHT -- This house was probably built before 1775 by James Simmons, an attorney, although it may have been built before 1782 by Robert Gibbes. The property was sold in 1809 to William Brisbane, a planter, who probably added the large bays on the front. They were existing when he sold the property in 1848 to Otis Mills, proprietor of the Mills House Hotel. Mills, in October 1862, loaned the mansion to Gen. Pierre G. T. Beauregard, the Confederate commander, and the Creole general maintained his headquarters here until August, 1863. The house was purchased in 1876 by Michael P. O'Connor, afterwards a member of Congress. (Ravenel, DYKYC, July 7, 1941; Smith & Smith, Dwelling Houses, pp. 89-90; Sparkman, "Beauregard's Headquarters.")

39 Meeting St. c.1767
IMAGE 
-- This brick house was built c. 1767 as St. Michael's rectory. lt was built by Mr. Miller and John Fullerton, master builders. (Ravenel, Architects, pp. 38-39.)

41 Meeting St. c.1911
IMAGE


42 Meeting St. c.1860
IMAGE 
-- Diedrich William Ohlandt, a German grocer, built this structure c. 1860 as a store and residence. D. W. Ohlandt and Sons went out of business in 1856 and in 1959 the building was remodeled as a residence. (CEP, Dec. 31, 1955; Otis Perkins, DYKYC, June 15, 1959; Elizabeth T. Peck, N&C, Jan. 8, 1956.)