Home About Us Catalog Borrowing Services Resources Programs & Events Locations





Murray Boulevard

Photo: 52 Murray Blvd.

Murray Boulevard is named for Andrew Buist Murray, a native of Charleston who was an orphan but became a highly successful businessman and generous philanthropist and public benefactor. The area back of the waterfront boulevard embraced 47 acres of mud flats between the original shore line and the sea-wall, from the west end of White Point Gardens to the west end of Tradd Street. Reclamation of this area by filling in the mud flats, begun by the city in 1909, was completed by 1911, and the tract was developed into building lots. At Murray's suggestion, East Battery was linked with the new boulevard by extending the seawall south of White Point Gardens. This created a riverside boulevard over a mile long. Murray contributed about 50 percent of the cost of the development. (Stockton, unpub. notes)

10 and 12 Murray Boulevard c.1916
IMAGE: 10 Murray Blvd. 
-- IMAGE: 12 Murray Blvd. -- These twin houses were two of the first houses built on the boulevard. Henry Cheves, a member of a family of architects and builders, built them for his son and daughter, Henry Cheves, Jr., and Charlotte Cheves Hardison, about 1916. The houses are built of stucco on a wire frame. (DYKYC, Aug. 8, 1966.)

52 Murray Blvd.
This imposing Colonial Revival residence was the first house built on Murray Boulevard. lt was built by C. Bissel Jenkins, one of the pioneers in the reclamation movement. Designed by Walker & Burden, architects, the 15 room dwelling is built of Summerville brick with a red Ludovici tile roof. (DYKYC, May 16, 1932.)