Home About Us Catalog Borrowing Services Resources Programs & Events Locations





New Street

30 & 32 New St.
Alfred Bernard and H.A. Cohen built these two small houses in the ltalianate style in 1872. (Stockton, unpub. notes)

37 New St.
This notable two and one-half story brick house occupies the site of the Charleston Theatre, which stood on what was known as Savage's Green. The green lay between creeks, paralleling what are now New and Savage streets. The high ground was used for a militia drilling ground and by boys for a playground. The lower ends of the creeks were marshy at low tide but were favorite swimming places at hightide. ln 1792 the Charleston Theatre, designed by architect James Hoban (c. 1762-1831) was built here. Born in lreland, Hoban studied architectural drawing under Thomas lvory (d. 1786). He was in Charleston by 1787, and in 1790 designed the first State House at Columbia. The theatre is the only Charleston building he is known to have designed. The interior was quite elaborate, but perhaps for financial reasons, Hoban's plan was not followed on the exterior, which was described as "an amorphouse barn." Later, a handsome portico was added. ln 1794, as a concession to the climate, air pumps, like those used on prison ships, were installed. Later, because of a disagreement between the faculty and trustees of the South Carolina Medical College, most of the faculty left the College on Queen Street, purchased the old theatre building and established the rival Medical College of the State of South Carolina. Eventually, the two groups had a reconciliation and all returned to the College on Queen Street. The theatre was demolished in 1850. (Rogers, Charleston in the Age of the Pinckneys, pp. 110-111; Ravenel, Architects, pp. 77-79; Stoney, This is Charleston, p. 82.)