Home About Us Catalog Borrowing Services Resources Programs & Events Locations





Orange Street

Photo: 7 Orange St. c.1769

Orange Street was cut along the eastern boundary of the Orange Garden (a public pleasure garden for concerts, etc.) by Alexander Petrie, who in 1767 divided the land on the west side of the street into building lots. Lots on the east side were taken from the rear of lots facing on King Street. The Orange Garden, and the street, were named for the oranges which were planted there. (Rogers, Charleston in the Age of the Pinckneys, p. 50; Smith & Smith, Dwelling Houses, p. 239; "Streets of Charleston.")


4 Orange St. c.1774
IMAGE: ON RIGHT -- Built before 1774 by Blake Seay White, this two and one-half story frame single house was purchased in 1777 by Samuel Carne, a Tory, whose property was confiscated in 1783 by South Carolina authorities. The house has unspoiled Georgian interiors of a fine degree. (Stockton, DYKYC, Aug. 4, 1974; Stoney, This is Charleston, p. 82.)

6 Orange St. c.1779
IMAGE
-- This Georgian single house was built before 1779 by John Stevenson. Gen. Robert Howe of North Carolina, commander of the Continental Line in South Carolina, lived here briefly during the Revolution. The top story is a later alteration. (Stockton, DYKYC, Sept. 24, 1979.)

7 Orange St. c.1769
IMAGE: TOP OF PAGE -- This two and one-half story frame house in the Georgian style was built c. 1769 by Col . Charles Pinckney. A notable feature is the wrought iron railing of the portico, which has "S" scrolls in the center panel. (Jack Leland, CEP, Aug. 27, 1968; Deas, Early lronworks, pp. 54-55; Stoney, This is Charleston, p. 83.)

8 Orange St. c.1777
IMAGE
-- Samuel Miller, a carpenter, c. 1777, built this two and a half story tile-roofed house for his home. The addition to the house was designed in 1928 by Samuel Gaillard Stoney. The initials "CB" in the balcony are for Caroline Bacon, the then owner. Miller was for many years a partner of carpenter John Palmer, and both were banished by the British to Philadelphia. (Stoney, unpub. notes; This is Charleston, p. 83.)

9 & 11 Orange St. c.1770
IMAGE: 9 Orange St. ON RIGHT -- IMAGE: 11 Orange St.
-- This is a three and one-half story frame double tenement, built c. 1770. No. 11 was the home of the Rev. Samuel Gilman, pastor of the Unitarian Church and author of "Fair Harvard." (DYKYC, July 27, 1936; Stoney, This is Charleston, p. 83.)