Ann Street was laid out in 1801 as one of the streets of Wraggborough. It was named for Ann Wragg (1731-1806), daughter of Joseph Wragg, and wife of Gen. Christopher Gadsden.
("Streets of Charleston"; Stockton, unpub. notes. )
23 Ann Street
-- also known as 36 John St. -- This one story brick freight depot was built by the South Carolina Rail Road. The date of construction, 1859, appears in the keystone.
(Stockton, unpub. MS. )
29-31 Ann St.
-- Camden Depot gates. The South Carolina Rail Road completed the Camden Depot complex in 1849-50. Designed by Charleston architect Edward C. Jones, the Camden Depot consisted of two pairs of crenelated Gothic Revival gates, one pair fronting on Ann Street and one pair fronting on John Street, with single story brick freight depots stretching between them . The Tower Depot at 37 John St. was built at the same time as a passenger station. The one story brick freight depots were severely damaged by the 1886 earthquake and were rebuilt in wood, and subsequently tin-clad. At some point, the gates on the John Street end were demolished. Camden Depot was possibly named for the Camden Branch of the South Carolina Rail Road, which opened between Columbia and Camden in 1848.
(Stockton, DYKYC, Feb. 21, 1983. )
40 Ann St.
-- South Carolina Rail Road Company freight warehouse or depot. On the cast iron keystone of each arch over the doorways a palmetto tree stands under the encircling initials "S.C.R.R." and beneath is the date 1857. The building, with its brick pilasters and rose windows in the end gables, is similar in style and construction with the S.C.R.R. freight depot at 23 Ann.
(Stockton, DYKYC, Feb . 21, 1983 .)