Chapel Street was named for a chapel (apparently never built) for which a lot at the northeast corner of Chapel and Elizabeth streets was set aside in the plan of Wraggborough. Later, a chapel was built on the triangle at the street's western, in 1858. lt was used by the congregation of St. Luke's Episcopal Church while their sanctuary (now New Tabernacle Fourth Baptist Church, 22 Elizabeth St.) was being built. The tradition that the street was named for this chapel is untrue, as the name of the street predated the building. Later, the chapel was used by the congregation of St. Mark's Episcopal Church, until their church on Thomas Street was built. The building was demolished in 1884.
(Legerton, 6. Stockton, unpub. notes. News & Courier , Sept. l6 1884.)
4 Chapel St. c.1881
-- Railroad warehouse in the romantic "Chinese" style, built in 1881 by the North Eastern Rail Road. The building is a registered National Historical Engineering Landmark. A twin of the structure stood just to the east until it was demolished in the 1970s.
(Stockton, unpub. notes.)
14 Chapel St. c.1865
-- The Northeastern Rail Road Company Depot was built in 1865-66 to replace an earlier depot which was blown up during the Confederate evacuation of the city, Feb. l8, 1865. The depot was filled with and other commodities that had to be left behind, together with a quantity of gunpowder. People from the area rushed in to help themselves. Nearby some cotton was burning. Some small boys, who found that gunpowder would make a blaze with lots of smoke when thrown on the fire, amused themselves by carrying handfuls of it from the depot, where it was stored, to the cotton. Powder trickling through their fingers left a trail back to the depot. Somehow it was ignited and before anyone could extinguish the fire the entire depot was blown up, along with about 150 people. Houses near the depot also caught fire, adding to the chaos.
(Burton, Siege of Charleston, 321. ; Stockton, DYKYC Dec. 13, 1976.; Whitelaw & Levkoff, 46.)
IMAGE: TOP OF PAGE-- Elias Vanderhorst House, built c. 1832 by a member of the wealthy Vanderhorst rice planting family. It remained in the family until 1915. The structure is a valuable example of Greek Revival architecture, expressed in a suburban villa. The two and one-half story stuccoed brick house is built on a high brick basement and has a double flight of stone steps leading to the piazza.
(Thomas, DYKYC, Oct. 7, 1968.; Smith & Smith, Dwelling Houses , 298. )
IMAGE: ON RIGHT-- Built c. 1840 by Dr. Anthony Vanderhors Toomer, or by his son Dr. H.V. Toomer, this two stoyr wooden house on a high brick basement combines elements of the Greek Revival and Gothic Revival styles, the details of which show the influence of Robert Mills, who designed buildings in both styles. The house also has an unusual curving piazza which follows the curve of the paneled bows of the facade. Columns on the level of the piazza are of brick, capped with marble; those on the upper levels of wood. The interior has a double flight of stairs, which curve to unite at the landing, from which a single flight continues to the second floor. The exterior front steps have an iron rail with "dog tail" newels. The house was the home of the younger Toomer, who was appointed official physician for The Neck. He died tending victims of Charleston's great yellow fever epidemic of 1858.
(Thomas, DYKYC, Oct. 14, 1968; Ravenel, DYKYC, Nov 11, 1941.; Stockton, DYKYC, Sept. 29, 1975., _____ unpub. MS.; Waddell, unpub. MS.; Stoney, This Is Charleston , 24 ; Smith & Smith, Dwelling Houses, 298-299.)
36 Chapel St. c.1809
-- This plantation style house was built by Dr. Anthony Vanderhorst Toomer about 1809, when it was one of the first houses in still-rural Wraggborough. lt has interiors in the Adamesque style. Dr. Toomer was a planter in Christ Church Parish as well as physician. He or his son built the house next door at 34 Chapel.
(Smith & Smith, Dwelling Houses , 299. ; Stoney, This is Charleston , 24. ; Thomas, DYKYC, Oct. 21, 1968.)
35 Chapel St. c.1850
-- The two story frame house was built some time before 1852 by Sylvia Miles, a free black woman, on land leased from William H. Holmes. It was not uncommon in the 18th and 19th centuries, for a land owner to lease a vacant lot with the stipulation that the lessee build a house, with the lessor retaining owner ship of the land and the lessee owning the building.
(Stockton, unpub. MS.)
51-59 Chapel St. c.1890
IMAGE-- This row of two and one-half story frame houses in the Victorian taste were built by Capt. Benjamin F. McCabe, a local businessman, in 1890. Capt. McCabe lived at 59 Chapel, and built the other houses as an investment. He was Captain of the lrish Volunteers. He died in 1894, at the age of 48, of blood poisoning due to a gunshot wound in the arm.
(Stockton, unpub. notes.)