Charlotte Street was laid out in 1801 as one of the streets of Wraggborough. lt was named for Charlotte Wragg, daughter of Joseph Wragg and wife of John Poaug.
("Streets of Charleston."; Stockton, unpub. notes.)
East End of Charlotte St.
-- The Carolina Gas Company gas plant was built in the 1850s in competition with the Charleston Gas Light Company works which were located on Church Street between Market and Cumberland. The Carolina Gas Co. existed for three years before it was determined that competition was bad for both companies and the company was consolidated with the Charleston Gas Light Company. Both were forerunners of the South Carolina Electric and Gas Co. which now owns this property. During the Civil War the gas holder at this plant was struck by an eight-inch shell, which tore a hole through the cover but did not explode. It was found by workmen when the holder was replaced in 1893. ln 1865, Count Ferdinand von Zeppelin, while military attache of the Union Army during the occupation of the city, used Charleston gas to inflate observation balloons launched from a lot at George and St. Philip streets. The count later became famous as a designer of German aircraft.
(Pogue, South Carolina Electric & Gas , 4-6. )
IMAGE-- This three story brick double house on a high brick basement, with fluted Doric columns on the piazza, curving outside steps and fine interior plasterwork and woodwork, was built between 1834 and 1840 by Robert Martin, a successful merchant in the "wagon-yard" trade. The wagon-yards were located mainly on upper King Street where wagon drivers from th state's interior exchanged country products for store goods. A bathtub in the basement, seven feet long, three feet wide and two feet deep and carved from a single block of Winnsboro granite, was, according to tradition, the first stationary bathtub in the city.
(Thomas, DYKYC, Dec. 15, 1969; Stockton, News & Courier , July 30, 1975.)
-- Robert Martin also built this fine Greek mansion, as a wedding gift for his daughter, Ellen Daniel Martin, who married her second cousin, Joseph Daniel Aiken, in 1848. Aiken, a Winnsboro native, was an attorney before the Civil War. During the Civil War he was lieutenant with the Third S.C. Cavalry. After the war he was a cotton factor and agent for a line of steamers to Florida. Martin was also an amateur painter, sculptor and architect, and may have designed this house. lt has also been attributed to Edward C. Jones, to Russel Warren and to James M. Curtis. The house is sophisticated in plan and detail, and has an unpedimented portico with giant order columns of a Corinthian order, and an ltalianate loggia on the west side. The interior has a circular stair, black marble mantels and restrained decoration in the Greek Revival style. The house remained i the Aiken family until 1889, when it became the home o W.H. Shingler, a cotton and naval stores factor and commission merchant. The house was the birthplace of William Martin Aiken (son of Joseph D. Aiken and Ellen D Martin) , supervising architect of the U.S. Treasury Department, who designed Federal buildings throughout the nation and in Charleston designed the Williams Bandstand on The Battery, and the second Roper Hospital at Barre and Calhoun streets (now demolished).
(Thomas, DYKYC, Dec. 22, 1969.; Ravenel, Architects , 167, 170. ; Stockton, unpub. notes.; Stoney, This is Charleston , 24. )
-- This three and one-half story brick single house was begun by Richard Cunningham sometime after 1815 and completed c. 1828 by John Gordon. The house is in the late Adamesque style.
(Thomas, DYKYC, Dec. 29, 1969; Stoney, This is Charleston , 24. )
30 Charlotte St. c.1882
IMAGE -- This two and one-half story wooden single house was built in 1882 by William E. Holmes, an East Bay paint and oil merchant, as (Stockton, DYKYC, June 23, 1975.)
32 Charlotte St. c.1820
IMAGE -- The three story, hip-roofed brick house in the Regency (late Adamesque) style, was built between 1820 and 1825 by John Casken, a carpenter, who purchased the lot in 1811 in trust for Catherine Wegman.
(Thomas, DYKYC, Jan 5, 1970.; Stoney, This is Charleston , 25. )
33 Charlotte St. c.1854
IMAGE -- This notable two and one-half story brick mansion on a high brick basement was built by J. Thomas Hamlin White, a Christ Church Parish planter about 1854, replacing a two and one-half story wooden house. He left the then existing kitchen building, constructed c. 1812 by the McAlpin family. Tradition says White had the bricks made in Mount Pleasant, where he was half owner of a kiln. During the Civil War, the house was a Confederate hospital. After the war it was headquarters of the notorious Maj. Gen. Daniel Edgar (Dan) Sickles, commander of the Department of the Carolinas during the Federal occupation of the South. Sickles was a member of the Tammany Hall Gang, a New York Congressman, friend of five presidents, and minister to Spain, where he was the rumoured lover of Queen lsabella. The house formerly had a hidden passage with a ladder, from the top floor to the basement. Distinctive architectural features of the house include the Corinthian order, pedimented entrance surround, approached by a high flight of steps and set in a pedimented, projecting pavilion.
(Thomas, DYKYC, Jan 12 , 1970.; Stoney, This is Charleston , 25. )
-- Built c. 1830 for Mrs. Rebecca Cordes, this two and one-half story wooden house on a high brick basement has a Palladian window on its east side and a Greek Revival piazza, and is transitional in style between the Adamesque-Regency and the Greek Revival.
(Thomas, DYKYC, Jan 19, 1970; Stoney, This is Charleston , 26. )
40 Charlotte St. c.1831
IMAGE -- A three story wooden house on a high brick basement, this notable house has two tiers of piazza facing the street. lt was built by Jonah M. Venning, who purchased the site in 1827 and moved here c. 1831 from St. Philip Street. Venning had a lumber yard on Venning's Wharf (on the Cooper River between Calhoun and Laurens streets) and later was a factor and commission merchant. The property remained in his family until 1877.
(Thomas, DYKYC, Jan. 26, 1970; Stoney, This is Charleston , 26. )
-- Built c. 1849 by Williard A. Hussey, this two and one-half story brick house, on a high brick basement, has some unusual features. The walls are five bricks thick, with a piece of slate placed in the mortar between each brick. The stuccoed brick building has brownstone trim. The east side extension has blind windows, placed solely for balance, as they are backed by fireplaces in the interior. Major rooms have ornate plasterwork typical of the period. Notable features of the exterior include the pedimented center pavilion with the classic entrance surround and set of double curving stairs.
(Thomas, DYKYC, Feb. 2, 1970; Stoney, This is Charleston , 26. )
44 Charlotte St. c.1834
-- Built c. 1834 by William Henry Houston, a carpenter and contractor, this two and one-half story brick house on a raised basement has Doric piazza columns across the front. Historic Charleston Foundation bought and restored this notable Greek Revival house in 1966.
(Thomas, DYKYC, Feb 9, 1970; Stoney, This is Charleston , 26. )