Home About Us Catalog Borrowing Services Resources Programs & Events Locations





John Street

John Street


Photo: 2-4 John St., c.1810

Other photos this page:

37 John St. c.1849

Plus additional linked photos

John Street was named for John Wragg (1718-1796), eldest son of Joseph Wragg. lt was one of the original streets of Wraggborough.
("Streets of Charleston." ; Wragg Family File; SCHS.)



 

2-4 John St.

-- The main house is a suburban villa in the Adamesque style, built sometime before 1819. The site was received in 1801 by Mary Gibbes , wife of John Gibbes, as part of her share of the estate of her uncle, John Wragg. The first known occupant of the house was her son Robert Gibbes, Jr. (named for his grandfather, Robert Gibbes , Sr.) , who is listed as living in John Street in the 1819 city directory. Robert Gibbes, Jr. " a planter" was a descendant of Robert Gibbes (1644-1715) , a Lords Proprietors Deputy Landgrave and Governor of South Carolina, and of Thomas Smith, Landgrave and Governor of South Carolina. He sold it in 1825 to his brother Benjamin Gibbes, in whose family it remained until 1863, when it was purchased by William Moran. lt was probably Moran who built the late 19th century commercial/residential structure which is attached to the main house. The present storefront was added in 1893 by John Hollings whose contractor, J.F. Wragge (no relation to the Wragg family) stamped his name and the date on the cast iron.
(Stockton, DYKYC, Oct. 30,1978.; Stockton, unpub. M.S.)



 

17 , 19, 23 & 25 John St.

IMAGE -- Houston's Row. William Henry Houston, a building contractor, acquired several lots on the south side of John street, on which, between 1852 and 1856, he constructed eight houses, each two and one-half stories of wood. Only these four remain. They were built for rental purposes by Houston, who had a large house nearby on Charlotte Street. These single houses are plainly finished, inside and out in the Greek Revival style. Houston died in 1876 after which the property was subdivided and sold by his heirs.
(Stockton, unpub. M.S.)



 

36 John St.

(AKA 23 Ann St.) -- South Carolina Rail Road freight depot. The date, 1859, appears in the key stone.
(Stockton, unpub. M.S.)



 

37 John St. Tower Depot c.1849

IMAGE: ON RIGHT -- The Tower Depot, built 1849-50 as a passenger station of the South Carolina Rail Road. lt was designed by Charleston architect Edward C. Jones The Gothic Revival style originally had a tower which projected into John Street and a main entrance large enough to admit a train. Subsequently, the building became part of the Charleston Bagging & Manufacturing Company plant, which incorporated most of this block and the building was sadly remodeled.
(Stockton, unpub. M.S.)



 

39 John St.

-- This two story, stuccoed brick warehouse was built c. 1880 for the Charleston Bagging Manufacturing Co., for storing finished products. About 1943, it was redesigned by architect Augustus E. Constantine in the then popular Art Moderne style, for adaptive use as retail and office space. lt was part of the Washington Realty Company's redevelopment
of the bagging company complex in the 1940s.
(Preservation Consultants.)