Home About Us Catalog Borrowing Services Resources Programs & Events Locations





Judith Street

Photo: 10 Judith St. c.1835

Judith Street was named for Judith Wragg, daughter of Joseph Wragg, and was one of the original streets of Wraggborough.
("Streets of Charleston." ; Wragg Family Files; SCHS.)



 

5 Judith St.

IMAGE



 

6 & 8 Judith St c.1817

. -- These twin single houses, two and one half stories of wood on high brick basements , were built after 1817 by John Robinson, who also built several other houses on the street. Six Judith has two-tiered piazza; Eight Jlldith has a single story piazza. Robinson died in 1849 in his 74th year and was at the time the oldest living merchant in the city, having been in business for 53 years . He is buried at Second Presbyterian Church, of which he was a founder
(Stockton, unpub. notes.)



 

9 Judith St.

IMAGE



 

10 Judith St. c.1835

IMAGE--John Robinson also built this two and one-half story brick house on a high brick basement which has piazzas across the front and a fanlighted pediment. The main door has a fanlight and sidelights. ln the interior are mantels and other woodwork of the Regency period. This was the home, 1902-1910, of the Rt. Rev. Peter Fayssoux Stevens , first bishop of the Reformed Episcopal Church. Stevens commanded the Citadel cadet unit which fired the first shot of the Civil War, a warning shot at the Federal supply ship Star of the West in January, 1861. After the war, Stevens became superintendent of The Citadel , but soon resigned to lead the Reformed Episcopal Church. He was a white bishop of a black denomination.
(Stockton, News & Courier , July 7,1975; Thomas, DYKYC, July6,1970; Stoney, This is Charleston , p.59)



 

15 & 17 Judith St. c.1835

-- These are the surviving two of three houses built c. 1835-36 by John Robinson. Both have three wooden stories on a high brick basement. Robinson purohased the large lot in 1835 and built the houses which he conveyed in 1838 to three of his children The house formerly at 13 Judith was conveyed to his son, Stephen T. Robinson; 15 Judith to his daughter in-law, Mary T. Robinson, wife of his son James Kirk Robinson; and 17 Judith to his daughter Ann F. Cald well, wife of James M. Caldwell. The houses have a town house plan and Greek Revival and Regency woodwork.
(Stockton, unpub. notes.)