338 Meeting St. Citadel Square Baptist Church c.1855
IMAGE -- Citadel Square Baptist Church. The congregation was organized in 1854 as the Fourth Baptist Church and worshipped initially in the Orphan House chapel in Vanderhorst Street. ln 1855 the congregation merged with the Morris Street Baptist Church and purchased this site, taking the name Citadel Square Baptist Church (the old name of Marion Square was Citadel Square). The present building was built in 1855-56. Architects Jones & Lee (Edward C. Jones and Francis D. Lee) designed it in the "Norman," style, which is actually a form of Romanesque Revival. The cyclone (hurricane) of 1885 toppled the 220-foot steeple "with a roar heard above the hurricane," and the earthquake of the following year resulted in further damage. The steeple was rebuilt, but not to its original height.
(Legerton, Historic Churches , pp. 2-3; Ravenel, Architects , pp. 225, 227; Stoney, This is Charleston , p. 79)
IMAGE: ON RIGHT -- Second Presbyterian Church. Organized in 1809 as "The Second Presbyterian Church of the city and Suburbs of Charleston," when built in 1809-11, the church was situated outside the city limits. lt is the fourth oldest church structure in the city. The brothers, James and John Gordon, were the architects and builders. The steeple was never completed due to a lack of funds. The church bell was given to the Confederacy in 1862 for use as cannon metal. Before the Civil War, the galleries were used by the church's more than 200 black members. One of them left a legacy which is used for world missions. The communion silver disappeared during the Civil War, but was returned in 1865. Dr. Thomas Smyth, pastor from 1834 to 1873, was a noted author and theologian. The sanctuary was completely renovated after a fire in 1959. Situated on one of the highest points in the city, the church appeared on mariners' maps as "Flynn's Church," so called after the first pastor.
(Legerton, Historic Churches , pp. 62-63; Stoney, This is Charleston , p. 80; Ravenel, Architects , pp. 68, 98-100; Mazyck & Waddell, illus., p. 32)
IMAGE: SEE TOP OF PAGE-- Joseph Manigault House, c. 1803. Designed by the owner's brother, Gabriel Manigault, the "gentleman architect," this is one of the most important Adamesque houses in America. lt has three stories of Charleston grey brick, laid in Flemish bond, a hipped roof covered with slate, piazzas on the south and west. A semi-circular projection on the north side contains the curving stair. The dining room on the east side has a bowed end. The round basement windows are reminiscent of those in the Petit Trianon, Versailles, which Manigault visited. lnterior details include applied enrichment in gesso on mantels, doorways, friezes. An interesting original feature is a layer of lime between the floor and subfloor, to prevent insects and other elements of decay. ln 1920, when the mansion was in danger of demolition for a service station site, the Society for the Preservation of Old Dwellings was organized to rescue it. The Ernest Pringle family carried the financial burden for several years, but in 1933 the house had to be sold at auction. lt was purchased by Princess Henrietta Pignatelli, a Charleston native, who presented it to the Charleston Museum, which completed restoration and operates the property as a house museum. The garden was recreated by the Garden Club of Charleston, based on an old photograph. The small bell-roofed circular structure with a pedimented portico served as the garden entrance from Ashmead Street. The John Street entrance is believed to have been the primary one. When built, the Manigault House was in a suburban setting in Wraggborough.
(Ravenel, Architects , pp. 58-59; Severens, Southern Architecture , pp. 73-76; Smith & Smith, Dwelling Houses , pp. 134-141; Burton, unpub. MS.; Stoney, This is Charleston , p. 80)
345 Meeting St.
-- The Chicco Apartments are in two large, stuccoed brick structures which originally were part of the plant of the Charleston Bagging Manufacturing Co. The company was incorporated in 1878 and quickly became one of Charleston's largest manufacturing concerns. ln 1880, the company purchased the Francis Withers Mansion and began to construct these two warehouse buildings on the grounds. Eventually, the bagging company plant covered most of this block. The Withers Mansion, a Regency villa, remained the superintendent's residence until 1926, when it was demolished for further plant expansion. The company continued in operation until 1938. The property was purchased in 1942 by the Washington Realty, with Vincent Chicco a principal officer. Architect Augustus E. Constantine was engaged to redesign the factory plan as an apartment, store and office complex.
360 Meeting St. Charleston Museum
-- Charleston Museum, the country's first, was founded in 1773. The collection burned in the great fire of 1778. The Museum was housed at various times at Daniel Cannon's house, the Court House, at Chalmers Street house, the Medical College, the top floor of the College of Charleston's main building. ln 1907 it moved to the former Thomson Auditorium, where it remained until it moved to this $6 million complex, which opened in 1980. Collections include more than a half million objects illustrating natural history, anthropology, history and decorative arts, with special emphasis on South Carolina. On the grounds is a full scale replica of the confederate Submarine Hunley.
(Rogers, Charleston in the Age of the Pinckneys , pp. 96-97; Whitelaw & LevKoff, pp. 54-55, 145; Stockton, unpub. notes)
382 Meeting St.
-- Courtenay Elementary School. On this site in 1851-52, Free School No. 6, designed by George Walker was erected, in the style of a Tuscan temple The present building dates from 1956.
(Ravenel, Architects , p. 244)
448 Meeting St.
-- Wesley Methodist church. The congregation was organized in 1873 in the basement of the St. James Methodist Church on Spring Street. A church was built at this location in 1875. The present building was erected in 1962.
(Legerton, Historic Churches , pp. 146-147)
665 Meeting St.
-- Old car barns of the Charleston Street Railway Company, erected in the late 19th century, now house the Transportation Department of the South Carolina Electric and Gas Co.