This street was laid out as a 20 foot wide thoroughfare, by the agreement of several property owners through whose land the street was cut, in 1683. lt was known at different times as Callaibeuf's Alley and Poinsett's Alley, after Huguenot families who owned property along it. lt was also known as Middle Street, and finally as Elliott's Alley or Elliott Street, for the family who owned Elliott's Bridge (wharf) and other substantial real estate in the neighborhood. During the late 18th and early 19th centuries, Elliott Street was a major retail shopping area. The neighborhood suffered the great fires of 1740 and 1778, and most of the buildings date from the l790s. Restoration of houses on the street, which had fallen into slum conditions, was begun in the 1930s.
(Stockton, "Rainbow Row"; Stockton, unpub. M.S.)
-- This late l8th century house was probably built by David Saylor, a prosperous cooper, after the great fire of 1778. Saylor occupied the house as his home and place of business . The house is three and one-half stories of brick laid in Flemish bond. The segmental arched openings and the corbelled cornice of exposed brick are notable features. The interior has Georgian mantels and woodwork. The original wood shingle roof is covered by a later roof of pantiles.
(Stockton, unpub. M.S.)
16 & 18 Elliott St. c1802
IMAGE-- This pair of three story brick buildings was constructed c. 1802 by William Mills , a tailor, father of architect Robert Mills. Mills, who lived in Church Street, built these as tenements. William Mills was a native of Dundee, Scotland, and became a prosperous tailor and planter. He was a philantropist who donated workmen to make clothes for the Orphan House. He died in 1802 and is buried in the First (Scots) Presbyterian churchyard. He bequeathed 16 Elliott to his daughter Sarah, (Mrs . George Lusher), who sold it in 1835 and 18 Elliott to his son Robert, who sold it in 180
(Stockton, unpub. M.S.; Stockton, DYKYC, Feb. 28,1977.)
20 Elliott St. c1801
IMAGE-- This three story stuccoed brick house was probably built by George Gibbs, a baker, who purchased the site for 800 pounds Sterling in 1801. He bequeathed it to his son George who sold it in 1836 to Peter G. Gerard. Note the wrought iron lunette.
(Greene, unpub. MS; Stoney, This is Charleston , p.49 ; Deas, p.74-75 )
22 Elliott St. c1793
-- George Gibbs, the baker, purchased this site in 1793 and built the three story brick building. lt was later the home of his daughter Caroline Blackwood, whose family retained it until after the War of 1812. (Stoney, Charleston's Historic Houses , 1953, p.38-39 ; Chamberlain & Chamberlain, Southern Interiors, p.124 )
-- This two story brick house was built c. 1815 on old foundations. Tradition says Poinsett's Tavern was built on this site c. 1734 by Elisha Poinsett, an ancestor of Joel R. Poinsett, the diplomat who brought the poinsettia plant from Mexico.
(Anonymous, unpub. MS. SCHS)