Prioleau Street is named for Samuel Prioleau, Jr. through whose lands the street was cut in the 1790s. The street was formerly lined with warehouses and the Cotton Exchange stood at the northeast corner of Prioleau and Exchange streets from 1872. The Cotton Exchange closed in the late 1920s, and the building was razed in 1956. The remaining warehouses have been adapted to new uses.
(Stockton, unpub. MS.; Thomas, DYKYC, Feb. 4, 1968; Stoney, This Is Charleston , p. 84; Preservation Progress , January 1970)