Home About Us Catalog Borrowing Services Resources Programs & Events Locations





Queen Street (6-57)

Photo: 54 Queen St. c.1760

Other photos this page:

22 & 24 Queen St. c.1790

44 & 46 Queen St. c.1796

57 Queen St. c1840

Plus additional linked photos.


This street was one of the original streets of The Grand Modell. lt was first called Dock Street, after a boat dock which was dug in the swamp which formerly existed at the present intersection of the street with East Bay. Subsequently, it was renamed Queen Street, for Caroline of Ansbach, the consort of George lI. At its western end, Queen Street ended at a barricade at the present intersection with Smith Street until 1849, when it was extended through the marsh westward to Rutledge Street. At the same time, Smith Street was extended southward from Beaufain to Queen.
(Rogers, Charleston in the Age of the Pinckneys, p. 56; City Engineer's Plat Book, No. 77)


6 Queen St.

-- This antebellum warehouse was for many years the studio of the late sculptor Willard Hirsch. He designed the door.
(Stockton, unpub. notes)


8 Queen St. c.1796

IMAGE-- This three story stuccoed brick building was erected by Joseph Olman sometime after the great fire of 1796, which devastated the neighborhood.
(Thomas, N&C, Dec. 1, 1971; Stoney, This Is Charleston, p. 85)


10 Queen St.

IMAGE


12 Queen St.

IMAGE


14 Queen St.

IMAGE


16 Queen St.

IMAGE


18 Queen St.

IMAGE


20 Queen St.

IMAGE -- This two story brick warehouse, which is believed to be antebellum, houses the Footlight Players Workshop.
(Stoney, This Is Charleston, p. 86)


22-28 Queen St. c.1790

ON RIGHT: 22 & 24 Queen St. SEE ALSO:

IMAGE: 26 & 28 Queen St. -- This notable row of three and one-half story, stuccoed brick tenements was built in the 1790s by the family of William Johnson, Associate Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court.
(Stockton, DYKYC, Aug. 9, 1976; Stoney, This Is Charleston, p. 86)


23-25 Queen St. c.1806

-- This notable double tenement, three stories of stuccoed brick, is believed to date from c. 1806. The east facade has been altered.
(Stoney, This Is Charleston, p. 86)


32 Queen St

.IMAGE -- This property is the tea garden of St Philip's Church.


38 Queen St.

IMAGE


40 Queen St.

IMAGE


44-46 Queen St. c.1796

-- This double tenement was apparently built between 1796 and 1802 by Abraham Sasportas, a French-born Jewish merchant. The two halves of the building share common chimneys. The balcony on 44 Queen St. was added after 1819 by John Schirer, who put his Latinized initials, "l .S.," in the central baluster. The accessory buildings are notable.
(Stockton, unpub. MS.;---DYKYC, Oct. 27, 1980; Stoney, This Is Charleston, p. 87; Deas, Early Ironwork, pp. 34-35)


45 Queen St

. -- This large brick building was formerly a double outbuilding to a double tenement which has been demolished. lt was converted into a single residence.
(lsabella Leland, DYKYC, March 25, 1957; Stoney, This Is Charleston, p. 87)


50 Queen St.

IMAGE


54 Queen St. c.1760

IMAGE: TOP OF PAGE -- Built c. 1760 by Thomas Elfe, a master cabinetmaker, who is considered one of the best furniture craftsman of 18th century Charleston. The miniature single house has fine Georgian woodwork.
(Waring, N&C/CEP, Sunday, Aug. 8, 1982; Burton, unpub notes)


57 Queen St. c.1840

-- Citizens & Southern National Bank Counting House. This two and one-half story stuccoed brick building dates from c. 1840. C & S rehabilitated it in 1956, adding the tile roof, outside stair, and the cypress paneling inside. lt has a branch bank on the first level and a meeting room above. The building also contains displays of artifacts relating to rice and cotton culture and other facets of local and state history. The landscaping of the office and parking area won a National lndustrial Landscaping Award in 1958.
(C&S)