Home About Us Catalog Borrowing Services Resources Programs & Events Locations





Tradd Street (1-75)

Photo: 70 Tradd St. Robert Pringle House c.1774

Other photos this page:

8-10 Tradd St. c.1726

28 Tradd St. c.1785

40 Tradd St. c.1718

72 Tradd St. c.1766

Plus additional linked photos

Tradition says Tradd Street was named for Robert Tradd who supposedly was the first child of European descent born in the Province. lt is more likely that it was named for his father, Richard Tradd, who by 1679 was living at the northeast corner of present-day Tradd and East Bay. Early deeds refer to "the little street that runs from Cooper River past Mr. Tradd's house."
(Stockton, unpub. notes)


1 Tradd St. c.1785

-- This rather elegant three story stuccoed brick single house is believed to date from c. 1785. lt has restrained woodwork typical of that period in the interior. ln 1927, when the house was occupied by an auto shop, it was purchased and renovated by Mrs. T.W Punnett, a cousin of President Franklin Delano Roosevelt. The wrought iron balcony on the East Bay side was a present to Mrs. Punnett from her daughter. Previously on the site was a building owned and occupied by Robert Wells, bookseller and editor of the Loyalist newspapers, , and . After the Revolution, he and his son published a newspaper in Nassau, The .
(Ravenel, DYKYC, n.d. ; SCHS; Stoney, This Is Charleston , p. 100)



 

3 Tradd St.

IMAGE



 

5 & 7 Tradd St. c.1780

IMAGE-- A double tenement belonging to Andre Allen was built on this site before 1727. The building was destroyed by fire in 1740 and again in 1778 and each time apparently was rebuilt along the same lines. David Hext, who rebuilt the double tenement after the 1740 fire, separated the ownership of the two halves in 1743. Rebuilding of 5 Tradd after the 1778 fire was possibly begun by James Cook and completed by Robert Brown.
(Stockton, DYKYC, Sept. 13, 1982;---unpub. MS.; Stoney, This Is Charleston , p. 100)



 

6 Tradd St. c.1780

-- This three story, stuccoed brick single hous was built sometime between the great fire of 1778 and 1788. lts drawing room, on the second level, has cypress paneling and a mantel in the Georgian Chippendale style. As Tradd was a commercial street, the first level probably had a counting house or store. The building housed a school for Black children when Susan Pringle Frost purchased and rehabilitated it. She added the present entrance and the balcony.
(Nielsen, DYKYC, n.d.;Stoney, This Is Charleston , p. 100)



 

8-10 Tradd St. c.1726

IMAGE: ON RIGHT-- A double tenement with a first level of stuccoed brick and a second level of wood under a gambre roof, this house is believed to have portions built c 1726, which survived the great fires of 1740 and 1778. (Stoney, This Is Charleston , p. 101)



 

12-16 Tradd St. & 2 Bedon's Alley c.1770

-- Humphrey Sommers, subcontractor of St. Michael's Church, wrote his wil in 1778, bequeathing the westernmost three of this row of tenements to his daughters, with instructions and money to build No. 12.
(see 2 Bedon' s Alley; Stockton, DYKYC, Nov. 3, 1975; Smith & Smith, Dwelling Houses , pp. 161-162; Stoney, This is Charleston , p. 101)



 

13 Tradd St. c.1781

-- This notable three story stuccoed brick hous is thought to have been constructed c. 1781.
(Stoney, This is Charleston , p. 101)



 

17 Tradd St. c.1750

-- A house which Charles Warham built her c. 1750, may have survived or been rebuilt after the great fire of 1778. The roofline has been altered.
(Stoney, This is Charleston , p. 101)



 

19 Tradd St. c.1745

-- John McCall built a house c. 1745 on this site, which he inherited from his great-grandmother, Mary Fisher Crosse, the Quaker preacher. The two and one half story brick house may have survived or been rebuilt after the great fire of 1778.
(Stoney, This is Charleston , p. 101)



 

23 Tradd St. c.1797

--William Bell, a merchant, is credited with building this three story stuccoed brick house between 1797 and 1800.
(Stoney, This is Charleston , p. 102)



 

25 Tradd St. c.1745

-- William Boone acquired this site in 1740 and wrote his will in 1750, bequeathing "the house and grounds whereon l now dwell," to his "well beloved wife, Jane." Maj. Boone was born in South Carolina in 1696, and married Jane Wilkinson. Their daughter was born on Antigua in 1735. He had a Johns lsland plantation and represented St. John's Parish in the Common House of Assembly. ln the 1920s, this was the home of Postmaster Edward Jennings and his son Edward l. R. Jennings (1898-1929), one of Charleston's jazz age artists whose works are in the Gibbes Art Gallery collections.
(Greene, unpub. MS; SCHS)



 

26 Tradd St. c.1785

IMAGE-- This three story brick house is believed to have been built c. 1785 by Robert Ewing.
(Stoney, This is Charleston , p. 102)



 

28 Tradd St. c.1785

IMAGE: ON RIGHT



 

35 Tradd St. c.1740

-- This is actually two structures, now joined tognther as a residence. They are believed to be two structures mentioned in the will of Col. Miles Brewton in 1747. The easternmost structure was the kitchen to
Col. Brewton's house on the oorner of Tradd and Church (since replaced); the westernmost structure was a tenement which Brewton bequeathed to his third wife Mary. They were among several building erected by Col. Brewton (powder Receiver of the Province) and his family at what became known as "Brewton's Corner," at Church and Tradd.
(File, 77 Church & 35 Tradd, SCHS; Stoney, This is Charleston , p. 102)



 

38 Tradd St. c.1718

IMAGE-- This quaint two and one-half story, stuccoed brick house was built between 1718 and 1722 by John Bullock or his widow, Mary. lt was devised to their daughter Millicent who married Col. Robert Brewton of 71 Church St. This was the studio and residence of artist Elizabeth O'Neill Verner after .
(Green, unpub. MS.; Elizabeth Verner Hamilton, unpub notes; Stoney, This is Charleston , p. 102)



 

40 Tradd St. c.1718

IMAGE: ON RIGHT-- John Bullock or his widow Mary also built this two and one-half story house c. 1718. Col. Robert Brewton sold this property with the house on it in 1752 to Daniel Badger.
(Green, unpub. MS.; Stoney, This is Charleston , p. 102)



 

41-43 Tradd St. c.1746

-- This three story brick double tenement is believed to have been built c. 1746 by Jonathan Badger.
(Stoney, This is Charleston , p. 103)



 

46 Tradd St. c.1770

-- Built c. 1770 by James Vanderhorst, this three story stuccoed brick dwelling house was the home of Alfred Hutty, the well known artist, an adopted Charlestonian from Woodstock, N.Y.
(Stoney, This is Charleston , p. 103)



 

51-53 Tradd St. c.1735

-- Col. Alexander Hext made his will in 1736, stating that he had "lately built and Erected a large Brick Messuage and out Houses consisting of two Tenements," on this site. Col. Hext, who lived on his Johns lsland plantation, was a member of the Commons House of Assembly. No. 53 Tradd was subsequently the home of George Saxby, lnspector of Stamp Duties during the Stamp Act crisis of 1765. A Charles Town mob ransacked his house in search of the hated stamps, and Saxby was burned in effigy.
(Stockton, unpub. MS.; Stoney, This is Charleston , p. 103)



 

54 Tradd St. c.1740

-- This three and one-half story stuccoed brick house is believed to have been built c. 1740. Subsequently it was the home of Peter Bacot, whom Presiden George Washington appointed as Charleston's Postmaster. Because Bacot was a Nullifier, President Andrew Jackson tried to replace him with the Unionist Alfred Huger. Huger however, declined, stating nothing would induce him to "supplant so excellent a man and officer as Mr. Bacot upon merely political grounds." The house was rehabilitated in the 1920s by Susan Pringle Frost who placed the balcony on the front. lt was salvaged from a building in State Street and is probably pre-Revolutionary.
(Ravenel, Charleston, The Place and the People , pp. 471-472; Thompson, "Post Office History"; Stockton, unpub. notes; Stoney, This is Charleston , p. 103)



 

55 Tradd St.

--This wooden tenement was built by John Henry Doscher, president of the Germania Brewing Co. (which stood at Church and Hayne streets, on the present site of the First Baptist High School gym). lt was built sometime before Doscher's death in 1912.
(Stockton, unpub. MS.)



 

56 Tradd St. c.1739

-- George Ducat (Ducatt) , a shipbuilder, erected this two story house after 1739 and bequeathed it to his grandson, William Cleland, in his will dated 1751. The house is built of brick and Bermuda stone. The interior was "Adamized" c. 1800.
(Stockton, DYKYC, Oct. 4, 1976)



 

60 Tradd St. c.1732

-- This three and one-half story stuccoed brick single house was built c. 1732 by George Ducat, ship builder, for his daughter, Margaret, on her marriage in 1732 to Dr. William Cleland of Crail, Scotland.
(Stoney, This is Charleston , p. 104; Stockton, unpub notes)



 

61 Tradd St. c.1770

-- Traditionally, the construction of this three and one-half story brick single house has been attributed to Jacob Motte, Treasurer of the Province c. 1736. However, William Harvey advertised this property for sale in 1770, describing the house as "new-built." The house was then occupied by George Abbott Hall. William Harvey (1717-1784) , a merchant, built 63 Tradd and 58 Meeting St. about the same time.
(Stockton, unpub. MS.; Stoney, This is Charleston , p. 104)



 

62 Tradd St. c.1852

-- John T. Marshall, a baker and rice and cotton planter, built this structure c. 1852 as a bakery with a dwelling upstairs. The second floor has a fine drawing room of the period. The outbuildings include a bake house and quarters for bakery workers. The bakery continued in operation into the 1880s.
(Stockton, unpub. MS.;---DYKYC, July 11, 1977)



 

63 Tradd St. c.1770

-- William Harvey, merchant, built on this lot, c. 1770, a brick tenement. The present residence was the outbuilding to that house. (Stockton, unpub. MS.)



 

64 Tradd St c.1732

--This is William Ellis' western tenement mentioned in his will in 1771. Ellis' eastern tenement is 60 Meeting St.
(Stockton, unpub. notes)



 

70 Tradd St. c.1774

IMAGE: TOP OF PAGE-- Judge Robert Pringle built this large brick single house in 1774, placing the date on a plaque on the house, with that date. Pringle, who came from Scotland c. 1730, was a wealthy merchant and Assistant Justice of the Province. After his death in 1776, the house passed to his son John Julius Pringle, who studied law at The Temple in London, and was attorney general of South Carolina for 16 years. President Washington appointed him District Attorney for South Carolina and he declined Jefferson's appointment of him as Attorney General of the U.S. The house remained in the Pringle family until 1886. The Pringle house is a substantial three and one-half story brick, on a high brick basement. lt has superb Georgian interior features, a Regency piazza and a Victorian front bay window.
(Smith & Smith, Dwelling Houses , pp. 103-104, 120-127; Stockton, DYKYC, May 29, 1978; Stoney, This is Charleston , p. 104)



 

72 Tradd St. c.1766

IMAGE: ON RIGHT-- This two and one-half brick house on a high brick basement, with a jerkin-head roof, is described in a deed of partition, dated 1766, between Dr. Alexander Fotheringham and Dr. Archibald McNeill. The two "Doctors of Physick" bought the property in 1765. By the deed of partition, Dr. Fotheringham took the eastern brick tenement and Dr. McNeill the western. Their wives, lsabella Fotheringham and Mary McNeill, were granddaughters of Chief Justice Robert Wright and the nieces of Sir James Wright, Royal Governor of Georgia.
(Stockton, unpub. notes; Stoney, This is Charleston , p. 105)



 

75 Tradd St. c.1815

-- The Rev. Aaron Whitney Leland built this large wooden house between 1815 and 1817. Ebenezer Kellogg of New England, who visited Leland in 1817 wrote that he "has one of the most comfortable, though not one of the most elegant houses in the city. lt is of his own building and accomodated to the climate, having a large piazza. . .which looks into his garden." Leland was minister of the First Presbyterian Church, next door at 57 Meeting.
(Greene, unpub. MS; SCHS; Stoney, This is Charleston , p. 105)