Home About Us Catalog Borrowing Services Resources Programs & Events Locations





Anson Street

Photo:
Thomas Doughty House, 71 Anson St., c.1806

Anson Street, laid out in 1745-46 as part of the suburb of Ansonborough, originally extended between George and Centurion (now part of Society) streets. Scarborough Street, named for one of Lord Anson's ships, ran from George to Boundary (Calhoun) Street. To the south, Quince (named for Parker Quince, husband of Susannah Rhett), ran from Centurion to Pinckney, through Rhettsbury, and Charles Street (named for Charles Pinckney) ran from Pinckney to Market, through Colleton Square. By city ordinance, in 1805, Charles, Quince and Scarborough streets became part of Anson Street. ("Streets of Charleston"; Courier, August 29, 1868.)


11-25 Anson St. Goldsmith's Row c.1894
IMAGE -- Goldsmith's Row, a group of single houses built as tenements in 1894 by Isaac A . Goldsmith, a dentist, industrialist and real estate investor. The houses were initially inhabited by Irish, German and Jewish families. In 1788, there were distilleries on this site. (Stockton, DYKYC, May 28, 1973; "lchnography," 1788.)

27 Anson St. Palmetto Fire Company Hall c.1850
IMAGE
 -- The Palmetto Fire Company Hall, built in 1850 for a volunteer firefighting unit, was designed by architect Edward C. Jones. The two story stuccoed brick building is in the Italianate style. The building was converted into apartments in the 1940s, at which time the large entrance for the fire engine, in the center of the facade, was changed to paired windows. (Stockton, N&C, May 16, 1973; Ravenel, Architects, 208, 213.)

30 Anson St. c.1840
IMAGE: ON RIGHT -- Greek Revival single house built after the 1838 fire by Edward McCrady, Signer of the Ordinance of Secession, U.S. District Attorney & S.C. legislator. (Greene, SCHS)

34 Anson St. Mary Lanneau House c.1848
IMAGE 
-- This three story brick house was built by the widowed Mrs. Mary H. Lanneau (pronounced La-new) about 1848. The Philadelphia red brick was not common in the city at the time; most buildings were constructed of the local '"grey'" brick. (Historic Charleston Foundation.)

42 Anson St.
IMAGE


45 Anson St.
This two story brick double outbuilding was probably built after the great fire of 1838, and served a double tenement which stood at the street line and has been demolished. It was probably built for Nathaniel Hunt and his wife Ann. (Stockton, DYKYC, July 25, 1977.)

46 Anson St.
Thomas Wallace, a dry goods merchant, built this brick complex before 1853. Because of the shallow depth of the lot, the house and outbuildings are built in a "U" shape. (Thomas, DYKYC, Feb. 8, 1971.)

50 Anson St. c.1845
IMAGE
 -- Martin Dowd's tenement, a two story brick structure, was built c. 1845. (Historic Charleston Foundation.)

53 Anson St. c.1843
IMAGE 
-- This two story brick house in the Greek Revival style was built c. 1843 by William Thompson. (Historic Charleston Foundation.)

57 Anson St.
IMAGE


58 Anson St. c.1851
IMAGE
 -- This two and one-half story brick house, with its unusual ell, was built by 1851 by Robert Venning, a factor. Placement of the outbuilding in this manner was made necessary by the shallowness of the lot. The house is one of several in the neighborhood built by the Venning family, a clan of planters in Christ Church Parish. (Thomas, DYKYC, Nov. 9, 1970.)

59 Anson St.
IMAGE


60 Anson St. c.1851
IMAGE 
-- The three story brick store and residence, built L-shaped due to the constricted lot, was built c. 1851 by R. M. Venning, a planter. It has been converted into a large residence. (Historic Charleston Foundation.)

63 & 65 Anson St. c.1840
IMAGE: 63 Anson 
and IMAGE: 65 Anson -- Two small brick outbuildings built by Mrs. Susan Robinson as dependencies of 48 Society St. after the great fire of 1838. (Historic Charleston Foundation)

66 Anson St. c.1839
IMAGE: ON RIGHT -- Built in 1839, the three story brick house had been attributed to Dr. J. P. Chazal, but apparently was built by his mother, Mrs. Elizabeth C. Chazal. Her receipt book showing periodic payments for labor and materials while the house was under construction, is still in existence. The Chazals were a Santo Domingan family who came to Charleston in 1794 as refugees from the slave revolution on that Caribbean island. Mrs. Chazal was the widow of Jean Pierre Chazal, captain of the privateer Saucy Jack, which captured some 40 prizes in the War of 1812. Dr. Chazal, dean of the Medical College of South Carolina in 1877-82, also lived in the house. The Philadelphia red brick, and the brick piazza columns, are unusual features. (Thomas, DYKYC, Oct. 12, 1970.)

67 Anson St. St. Stephen's Church c.1835
IMAGE
-- St. Stephen's Episcopal Church, was built, and probably designed, by Henry Horlbeck and a relative, E. Horlbeck, of the famous family of builders and architects. Bricks for the structure possibly came from the Horlbeck brickyard at Boone Hall Plantation. The chapel was built in 1835-36 for Episcopal Church members who could not afford to purchase pews, as was then the custom. The building escaped the great fire of 1838, which devastated the area to the south of the chapel. This building replaced a previous St. Stephen's Chapel which was built on Guignard Street in 1823-24 by John Gordon, builder and possible architect. The first St. Stephen's, said to have been the first Episcopal church in the United States in which pews were free, was destroyed by fire in 1835. The present stuccoed brick building is in a Classic Revival style, with pilasters separating the bays on the front and sides and blind Roman arches on the facade. The galleried interior is very simple. (Ravenel, Architects, 102, 148-149; Legerton, 20-21; Stoney, This is Charleston, 2.)

71 Anson St. Thomas Doughty House c.1806
IMAGE  -- Thomas Doughty built this house, c. 1806, on land which his wife Mary inherited from her father, Daniel Legare, who built the older house at 79 Anson St. Adamesque in style, the house has finely detailed woodwork. The exterior features a gabled pavilion on the garden side, around which the piazza continues. Baroque cresting in brick over the piazza entrance is designed to mask the shed roof of the piazza. The property was restored in 1959, the first in the Ansonborough Rehabilitation Project. (Historic Charleston Foundation; Stoney, unpub. notes, LSC.)

72 Anson St. Benjamin Neufville House c.1846
IMAGE: ON RIGHT -- The Benjamin Simons Neufville House was built c. 1846. This handsomely proportioned house, two and one-half stories on a high basement, with piazza overlooking a large garden, has notable Greek Revival interiors. The Neufville family is of Huguenot descent. This property remained in the family until 1904. (Thomas, DYKYC, Nov. 2l, 1970.)

73 Anson St.
IMAGE 
-- This address is a dependency of the Joseph Legare House at 75 Anson St.

74 Anson St. Michael Foucout House c.1812
IMAGE
 -- Michael Foucout's House, built c. 1812, a two and one-half story frame single house, was moved by Historic Charleston Foundation from the area cleared for the Gaillard Municipal Auditorium in 1967. (Historic Charleston Foundation)

75 Anson St. Joseph Legare House c.1800
IMAGE 
-- Joseph Legare built this two and one-half story wooden single house, on a high brick basement, c. 1800. This building was called the "white elephant" of the Ansonborough Rehabilitation Project because, for a decade, a buyer could not be found for the large, white-painted house and its extensive line of outbuildings. After the property was purchased and restored in 1974, the owner had the house painted "elephant grey". The restoration project included the removal of a third story which had been added c. 1838, replacement of the original hip roof, and the complete rebuilding of one of the outbuildings. The curving iron-railed stair to the piazza entrance was added c. 1838 by Benjamin J. Howland. (Stockton, N&C, Dec, 26, 1974; Historic Charleston Foundation; Stoney, This is Charleston, 2.)

79 Anson St. Daniel Legare House c.1760
IMAGE
 -- Begun before 1760 by Daniel Crawford, the house was completed after 1760 by Daniel Legare, a planter in Christ Church Parish. The house, which has two stories of wood on a high brick basement, apparently is the oldest surviving in the colonial suburb of Ansonborough, which was bounded by present-day Anson, Calhoun, King and Society streets. (Thomas, DYKYC, Jan, 18, 1971; Isabella G. Leland, DYKYC, Jan. l3, 1958; Stoney, This is Charleston, 2.)

82 Anson St. Josiah Smith House c.1799
IMAGE: ON RIGHT -- Josiah Smith, Jr., merchant, who had his own house at 7 Meeting St., built this brick house c. 1799 for his spinster daughter, Miss Mary Smith. It remained in the family until 1869. The large brick house was moved approximately 100 feet in 1967 to permit the extension of George Street from Anson to East Bay when the Gaillard Auditorium was built. It was restored by Historic Charleston Foundation, which brought the piazza from the Blake house, 121 East Bay. The house has fine Federal period interiors. (Thomas, DYKYC, Nov. 30, 1970)

89 Anson St. St. Joseph's School c.1887
IMAGE
 -- St. Joseph's School. This small board and batten wood structure was built in 1887, when the school was begun. (Stockton, DYKYC, Nov. 11, 1973.)

91 Anson St. St. Joseph's Rectory c.1887
IMAGE 
-- Former St. Joseph's Rectory. The Right Rev. Patrick N. Lynch, Bishop of Charleston, took refuge here after the Catholic Bishop's residence on Broad Street was destroyed in the great fire of 1861. (Stockton, DYKYC, Nov. 11, 1973; O'Connell, 157.)

93 Anson St. St. John's Church c.1850
IMAGE
-- St. John's Reformed Episcopal Church. Built in 1850, this small stuccoed brick Gothic Revival structure first served as the Anson Street Chapel, for black Presbyterians. ln 1861, it became St. Joseph's Roman Catholic Church. St. Joseph's was known as "The Church of the Irish," as it served a large number of parishioners of Irish origin who had settled in the area. The church was struck by shells several times during the Federal bombardment of the city, 1863-65, and badly damaged. It was repaired after the war and almost completely rebuilt in 1883, when it gained its present cruciform shape with the addition of the chancel and transcepts. After a great decrease in membership, the church was closed in 1965 and a new St. Joseph's was erected at 1698 Wallenberg Blvd. In 1971, St. John's Reformed Episcopal Church bought and restored the property for the use of it congregation. (Stockton, DYKYC, Nov. 19, 1973; Legerton 68-69; O'Connell. 157. )