Wraggborough was part of the extensive landholdings of Joseph Wragg, partitioned among his heirs in 1758. John Wragg, the eldest son, received as part of his portion the 79 acres between the Broad Path and the Cooper River, which became known as Wraggborough. John Wragg died in 1796, leaving no children. His siblings and their children had the 79 acres surveyed and laid into streets and lots by Joseph Purcell, surveyor, in 1801. Most of the streets were named for Joseph Wragg's children: John, Judith, Mary, Ann, Charlotte, Elizabeth, and Henrietta. Click on Wraggborough for a more detailed history of this neighborhood.