- Summer Reading 2020
- Connect to CCPL
- Use Your Library
- How Do I?
- About CCPL
1,000 Books before Kindergarten
Item request has been placed! ×
Item request cannot be made. ×
Did you know that the more often young children hear books read to them, the more prepared they are to read on their own when they start kindergarten? This program encourages you to read at least 1,000 books to your child between birth and the time he or she starts kindergarten.
You are your child's first and best teacher. When you talk, sing, read, write and play together at home, you help your child build vocabulary, develop language skills, and prepare to read independently.
Follow these simple steps to participate:
1. Register online here: https://charlestonlibsc.readsquared.com, or visit your local library branch to receive a paper reading log.
2. Read with your child.
3. Record the titles of books you read online or on your child's paper reading log.
4. When you finish reading 100 books, visit your local library branch. If you use the online system to log book titles, a children's librarian will look up your child's name and award prizes based on your child's progress. If you use a paper log, bring that to the library so your child will receive the following rewards:
• A sticker to take home
• A sticker to add to the library's mural
• The next paper log to keep track of books you read
5. Remember to repeat steps 2 through 4, and visit the library each time you read 100 books.
6. When you finish reading 1,000 books, your child will receive:
• A certificate commemorating his or her participation in the program
• His or her name on the Readers Wall of Fame
• An awesome jumpstart on success in school
This program has no end date except the start of kindergarten, so take your time and enjoy reading with your child. If you read one story a day, you will finish the program in less than three years! Don't wait; encourage a life-long love of reading and learning today!