Branch Location: Hurd St. Andrews and Keith Summey
Reports To: Associate Director
The Branch Manager, under the general direction of the District Associate Director is responsible for overseeing day-to-day branch operations, ensuring the delivery of exceptional customer service, and maintaining high productivity and high staff morale. This person will manage the branch in a way to foster cooperation, training, shared programming, and staffing. As a Branch Manager, you must demonstrate outstanding interpersonal skills, as a large portion of this job will involve interacting with the local community.
All duties listed below are essential job functions for which reasonable accommodations will be made. All job requirements listed indicate the minimum level of knowledge, skills and/or abilities deemed necessary to perform the job proficiently. This job description is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities, or requirements. Employees may be required to perform any other job-related tasks as requested by the Branch/Department Manager subject to reasonable accommodations.
Essential Roles and Responsibilities:
- Works with other Branch Managers and Department Managers to help achieve the vision, mission, and goals of the Charleston County Public Library.
- Works with Human Resources on employee issues and staffing.
- Responsible for supervising and training staff.
- Represent the library at external programming and outreach events.
- Participate in committees and/or organizations that support the library’s mission and goals.
- Responsible for collecting, analyzing, and writing concise reports based on community needs.
- Make recommendations for reading materials or websites to obtain this information.
- Responsible for planning, implementing, and promoting in-branch, as well as, outreach programming for the community to increase library awareness within the community.
- Must be comfortable proactively seeking out customers to help in all areas of the library (desk, roving, e-mail, phone, or additional methods of communication).
- Create booklists, book displays and provide technology assistance and demonstrations for patrons of all ages.
- Perform routine desk duties and help patrons to locate resources and check out materials.
- Responsible for assisting the public in the use of technology, including software, online tools, and mobile devices.
- Keep informed of current services and trends as related to public libraries.
- Candidates should be good listeners and communicators, present a positive attitude, enjoy working cooperatively as a team member, and place top priority on customer service.
- Must be flexible to assume additional responsibilities and scheduling requirements as needed to meet the coverage needs of the public service desks in other departments.
- Must demonstrate knowledge, appreciation and understanding of a broad range of both print and electronic materials.
- Assist with Community Hub Services such as the rental assistance program, vaccine clinics, voting process, as well as other programs and services that are provided by CCPL.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of and competency with bibliographic tools and sources, library methods, procedures, principles and practices, and emerging technology.
- Knowledge of library amenities and the ability to provide information about library policies.
- Must be a forward thinker with demonstrated skills in the areas of technology and innovation.
- Must have the ability to take initiative in making suggestions for the library’s services and collections improvements.
- Ability to write concise reports, analyze community needs, the needs of the collection, the effectiveness of services and be able to communicate those needs to the appropriate departments or supervisors.
- Must have the ability to follow established procedures and to perform work requiring considerable detail and carry out assignments independently.
- Ability to use tact, courtesy and good judgement when communicating with coworkers and the public.
- Ability to demonstrate knowledge, appreciation, and understanding of both print and electronic library materials.
- Ability to communicate effectively and present ideas orally and in writing.
- Ability to carry out projects independently and collaboratively with a team.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Master of Library and Information Science degree from an ALA Accredited program.
- 4 years post-MLIS library experience that includes 3 years of supervisory experience.
- Prefer public library experience.
- Eligible for or hold South Carolina State Library Certification.
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule including evenings and weekends.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office suite, with the ability to learn and use new methods and emerging technical advances.
- Must possess excellent customer service skills, ability to get along well with others, communicate effectively with the public and library staff and demonstrate a strong work ethic.
Benefits and Compensation:
Charleston County Public Library offers a comprehensive benefits package which includes Health, Dental, Vision and Life Insurance, Paid Vacation and Sick Leave, Paid Holidays, 401k, and a Pension Plan.
$60,507.20 - $68,140.80 annually commensurate with education and experience.