Librarian 1 / Adult Services
Branch Locations: Cynthia Graham Hurd St. Andrews (HSTA)
Reports To: Department Manager
The Librarian, under the general direction of the Branch/Department Manager, provides professional research, reference and technical services for the organization and users, to ensure efficient library operations and maintenance of its materials. As a Librarian, you must demonstrate outstanding interpersonal skills, as a great part of this job will involve interacting with the local community.
All duties listed below are essential job functions for which reasonable accommodations will be made. All job requirements listed indicate the minimum level of knowledge, skills and/or abilities deemed necessary to perform the job proficiently. This job description is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities, or requirements. Employees may be required to perform any other job-related tasks as requested by the Branch/Department Manager subject to reasonable accommodations.
Essential Roles and Responsibilities:
- Assist patrons with locating resources and computer usage.
- Make recommendations for reading materials or websites to obtain this information.
- Create, plan and coordinate community programs for adult age group that increase library awareness, this will include off site programs.
- Represent the library at external programming and outreach events.
- Participate in committees and/or organizations that support the library’s mission and goals.
- Must be comfortable proactively seeking out customers to help in all areas of the library (desk, roving, e-mail, phone, or additional methods of communication).
- Create booklists and book displays and provide technology assistance and demonstrations.
- Perform routine desk duties under professional supervision, help patrons locate and check out materials.
- Keep informed of current services and trends as related to public libraries.
- Assist with Community Hub Services such as the rental assistance program, vaccine clinics, voting process, as well as other programs and services that are provided by CCPL.
- Responsible assisting the public in the use of technology, including software, online tools, and mobile devices.
- Candidates should be good listeners and communicators, present positive attitude, enjoy working cooperatively as a team member, and place top priority on customer service.
- Must be flexible to assume additional responsibilities and scheduling requirements as needed to meet the coverage needs of the public service desks in other departments.
- Must demonstrate knowledge, appreciation, and understanding of adult materials, both print and electronic.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of library amenities and the ability to provide information about library policies.
- Ability to use tact, courtesy and good judgement when communicating with coworkers, and the public.
- Ability to demonstrate knowledge, appreciation, and understanding of library materials, both print and electronic.
- Ability to communicate effectively and present ideas orally and in writing.
- Ability to carry out assignments independently and work collaboratively with a team.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- ALA Accredited MLIS degree or enrolled in an ALA Accredited MLIS program with a completion date within three (3) years.
- MLIS student in good standing while enrolled in the MLIS program, documentation must be submitted with application.
- Eligible for or hold South Carolina State Library Certification. Candidates that do not have their MLIS degree must be currently enrolled in library school and will be required to obtain their South Carolina State Library certification upon completion of their MLIS degree.
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule, including evenings and weekends.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office suite, with the ability to learn and use new methods and emerging technical advances.
- Must possess excellent customer service skills, ability to get along well with others and to communicate effectively with the public and with library staff, a strong work ethic.
Benefits and Compensation:
Charleston County Public Library offers a comprehensive benefits package which includes Health, Dental, Vision and Life Insurance, Paid Vacation and Sick Leave, Paid Holidays, 401k, and a Pension Plan.
$44,782.40 - $50,440.00 annually commensurate with education and experience.