Library Generalist 2 / Children's Services
Children Services Library Generalist 2
Branch Location: Main
Reports To: Department Manager
The Library Generalist, under the general direction of the Branch/Department Manager, assists with programs including story time and summer reading for children ages birth through grade 5. Creates displays, plan and implement children's activities including STEAM programs, crafts and puppet shows. As a Library Generalist, you must demonstrate outstanding interpersonal skills, as a great part of this job will involve interacting with the local community.
All duties listed below are essential job functions for which reasonable accommodations will be made. All job requirements listed indicate the minimum level of knowledge, skills and/or abilities deemed necessary to perform the job proficiently. This job description is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities, or requirements. Employees may be required to perform any other job-related tasks as requested by the Branch/Department Manager subject to reasonable accommodations.
Essential Roles and Responsibilities:
- Assist with planning and implementing children’s activities including STEAM programs that increase library awareness.
- Create children’s displays, crafts and puppet shows.
- Assist children and caregivers in use of library resources.
- Maintain a neat and orderly appearance in the Children’s department by organizing materials, straightening furniture and cleaning toys.
- Represent the library at external programming and outreach events.
- Must be comfortable proactively seeking out customers to help in all areas of the library (desk, roving, e-mail, phone, or additional methods of communication).
- Create children’s booklists and book displays.
- Perform routine desk duties under professional supervision, help patrons locate and check out materials.
- Candidates should be good listeners and communicators, present positive attitude, enjoy working cooperatively as a team member, and place top priority on customer service.
- Must be flexible to assume additional responsibilities and scheduling requirements as needed to meet the coverage needs of the public service desks in other departments
- Provide library services for children ages birth through grade 5.
- Must demonstrate knowledge, appreciation, and understanding of children’s materials, both print and electronic.
- Assist with Community Hub Services such as the rental assistance program, vaccine clinics, voting process, as well as other programs and services that are provided by CCPL.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience in children’s programming and outreach events.
- Knowledge of child development, early literacy skills and children’s literature.
- Knowledge of library amenities and the ability to provide information about library policies.
- Ability to use tact, courtesy and good judgement when communicating with coworkers, and the public.
- Ability to demonstrate knowledge, appreciation, and understanding of library materials, both print and electronic.
- Ability to communicate effectively and present ideas orally and in writing.
- Ability to carry out assignments independently and work collaboratively with a team.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- High School graduate or GED equivalent
- 1-year library experience preferred; OR
- Associates degree or higher.
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule including evenings and weekends.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office suite, with the ability to learn and use new methods and emerging technical advances.
- Must possess excellent customer service skills, ability to get along well with others and to communicate effectively with the public and with library staff, a strong work ethic.
Benefits and Compensation:
Charleston County Public Library offers a comprehensive benefits package which includes Health, Dental, Vision and Life Insurance, Paid Vacation and Sick Leave, Paid Holidays, 401k, and a Pension Plan.
$31,200.00 - $32,052.80 annually, commensurate with education and experience.